“This is our place; my wife's and mine!”

The Curtis Denver - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #31 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Ft. Lupton, United States
“This is our place; my wife's and mine!”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

When I arrived I thought that I had paid for the hotel online, but the counter attendant told me otherwise and he was correct. I was a bit upset, but he handled the situation perfectly and professionally. I feel you should understand this person defused what was probably a stressful situation – he’s a keeper. Also, I mentioned online that this was for my Wife’s Birthday and I felt that the Curtis showed a great deal of class by sending up a bottle of wine. My wife and I love the atmosphere at the Curtis it isn’t stiff and cold. DO NOT change it ever!!! This is and always will be our favorite Denver Hotel! We love it and the people that work there. LOVE IT!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Kate T, Director of Sales at The Curtis Denver - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Hi Alan R;
We love being your place - thank you for the awesome review!
The only things that we are changing are to make the hotel better and almost (if you can believe it) a little more quirky. Our guest rooms and lobby are all getting a refresh to update and upgrade the hotel, but our sense of fun and our amazing associates will remain. We can't wait to see you and the wife again!

Stay Happy!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Columbia, United States
Reviewed 27 November 2013

The hotel has a great location in Denver downtown. The room was nice and clean. The hotel personnel was very friendly. The price of the hotel was very reasonable, and much cheaper than that of most of the hotels nearby. Overall, I had a very pleasant stay and would return.

Hello Michela B;
We greatly appreciate your review and are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time in Denver!

Denver, United States
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Overall had an excellent experience. I was on the highest floor so the room was cold, despite the heater working properly. The hotel has is pretty funny because each floor has a theme and there are songs or some phrases that you hear in the elevator whenever you arrive at a floor. Room was in great condition. Staff was really nice. You even get a cookie when you arrive! Definitely would recommend this place.

Hello Ivana M!
Thank you for the awesome review - we hope to see you again soon!

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The music in the elevator is cute, with a bit of a theme to each floor. In reality, that 2-second sound bite is about the only memorable thing about the hotel. The rooms are modest. The horrible noise from the air conditioning unit was so bad that I just left it off. For 14 days. Yes, 14 days in the same hotel room (kill me now). In 14 days, you can find just about every fault with a hotel property. Easily. They feature a "Call Line" that replaces all the customary Operator, Front Desk, etc buttons on the phone. NOT HELPFUL when they will not answer that line, and the individual extensions are not printed anywhere. The wireless was terrible. I spot-checked the performance several times throughout the stay, and found download speeds that were well below 0.5Mb/sec. So any sort of streaming (netflix, etc), you tube, etc is impossible. It's so bad that VPNs time out and business email will be unbearable.The bathroom contained a small shower, no tub. The shower curtain needed to be changed. If you, your spouse, your kids, whatever, want a tub, you're out of luck. The TV station selection is meager and the preset volume is way too loud. Train station and street noise can disrupt your sleep. Some positives- they stack USA Today and WSJ at every elevator lobby, They have warm cookies. Just ask. They are pet friendly. I did hear a bit of barking, but it was no big deal. There are dog biscuits and water at the hotel lobby entrance. The Office (restaurant) has a tasty breakfast buffet for about $20, including the ability to custom order an omelette or something other than the traditional undercooked scrambled eggs. Of course, for about $7, you can go 1/2 a block to Sam's #3 for their yummy and vast breakfast menu. The Office also has a nicely stocked bar and pleasant staff for evening festivities, if you are so inclined. This particular area, just North of the Convention Center, is convenient for Convention Events. However, I will consider other options in the same price range the next time I am in downtown Denver...

Room Tip: Bring earplugs. A/C unit noise is very distracting. Lower floors reduce wait times for the elevator.
2 Thank freqtraveler86
Hello freqtraveler86;
We really appreciate you leaving your feedback and I am so sorry to read that your stay was less than stellar. It is not acceptable that the hotel Care Line was not answered during your stay and this issue has absolutely been addressed with the hotel associates. That one-stop-shop should make your stay more comfortable with accessing various departments with ease and I'm sorry that this was not the case for you.
Please know that we do offer guest rooms with bath tubs and we are always happy to accommodate this request when these rooms are available. We also offer a high-speed "streaming" option for internet that will absolutely cure the internet speed concerns.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you to Denver!
All the best.
Minneapolis, United States
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Loved everything about my stay, ESPECIALLY Jason, from MN, who was a huge help in making our trip memorable. The only bad thing was that the shower would fluctuate from ice cold to scalding hot during every shower. It was miserable and instead of enjoying a leisurely shower in the lovely shower I was leaping around from the hot or cold and trying to get out as fast as possible. It became functional and almost survival.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello Melissa G!
Thank you for visiting us recently and thank you so much for your review! I am very sorry that your shower water was not working properly; that can be a very uncomfortable way to start the day. Please do give us a call if this ever happens again. We will be more than happy to have someone repair that straight away, or help you move to another room in the hotel, if that is a better option.

Kyoto, Japan
Reviewed 23 November 2013

From a first glance the room was wonderful. Large by European or Japanese standards. King size bed, 42" TV. Fancy design. Friendly staff. Good for one night stay with a girl.

But it is autumn and I turned on the heater.
It was awful! The noise. It's like living and sleeping at the factory. The rasping sound from broken fan bearing didn't let me to close my eyes.

The staff was telling me that they don't hear any noise and this is normal. They didn't want to fix the heater or change the room first. It took at least 3 hours of time lost for insisting on the room change. Including my flight, I didn't sleep for 2 days because of such friendliness.

Next day I finally got another room on the last floor with a little bit softer sound coming from a heater.
A bit shabby with an AWFUL SMELL. I don't know what is it. Maybe that is the vomited room reported 2 days earlier, maybe someone died there. Additional smell of fried dust comes from heater. The ventilation doesn't work well. I couldn't breath. I couldn't sleep well. After turning off the heater I finally got cold and was returning back by 12 hours flight in awful shape. Thanks to this hotel.

And a week after that they sent me an extra bill, that they hid from me when checking out. What a cheap trickery! They included $8 for 2 extra 0.5 bottles of water, attached to the teapot. WHAT THE HELL!? There were no price tag or any price list in the room for this. There's even no minibars in the hotel. Even teabag was used and empty when I entered the room first time.

I should also include in the report that the facilities doesn't include slippers, tooth brush or anything for hygiene, except standard soap and shampoo. In the first room one of 3 bath towels was dirty.

In Denver, there's an airport shuttle ($22). But I failed to catch it from the first try. I was lucky to jump in the next shuttle. The driver told me that the hotel stuff usually shoos shuttles away because they get thank$ from "airport limo" companies ($50+tips).

The only good points are location, big bed and room size (not the bathroom size).

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first and check the heater condition. Or better just choose another hotel. When...
2 Thank Someonefromjapan
Kate T, Director of Sales at The Curtis Denver - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear SomeonefromJapan;
I can't tell you how very sorry I am for the issues that you encountered during your recent stay. It was embarassing to read your review and to read that we did not make things right for you when you addressed your concerns with our team. We have shared your review throughout the hotel and will use this as a training opportunity.
Please know that we do offer additional hygene products and will always be happy to bring those to you, upon request. Also, while there is a charge for the bottled water in the guest room, it is not intended to trick you and I would be more than happy to remove those charges for you. Please feel welcome to reach out to me directly at kate.thompson@thecurtis.com and I will be happy to help however I can.

All the best,
Kate
Cincinnati
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Hotel was fine, but I left a shirt behind, called twice to inquire as to whether or not it had been found, was transferred to voice mail, and never received a return call. Location was favorable and a great running trail nearby.

Hi Brent R -
Thank you for your recent review of the Curtis. I'm sorry to hear that we didn't "wow" you and we would love another opportunity to welcome you the next time you make it to Denver. This time, with the WOW factor.
I would very much like to help you to retrieve your shirt - can you please email me with the details and I will look into this for you straight away? My email address is: kate.thompson@thecurtis.com

All the best