“New Year's Not the best time to stay”

The Curtis Denver - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #31 of 158 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Granted we booked New Year's Eve last minute, so we didn't get the best room in the house. We've stayed at this hotel previously, and this was the worst room we've had. It was definitely one that was used only in full occupancy--much smaller than other rooms. It's understandable, given the circumstances, but when you're paying top dollar, it's still disappointing. I suggest having real glasses in the bathroom. We had to use the paper coffee cups. Housekeeping is very good. Check out was okay but no one asked about our stay. We were only there one night, so we didn't like being forced to use valet parking--but again, understand that was probably what the hotel had to do on New Year's Eve. However, it would be nice to get a price break on it since there was no other option. This was our most disappointing stay at this hotel, but we do understand the reasons behind it and would stay at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Kate T, Director of Sales at The Curtis Denver - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Hello kempera;
Thank you so much for your recent review of your stay at the Curtis. We are sorry to hear that it didn't go better. No doubt, our area gets very busy on New Years Eve, which makes it a slightly different experience, but we still want it to be a good one (ie: you should always be asked if you enjoyed your stay).
Thank you for being willing to come visit us again - we hope to see you soon!

There are newer reviews for The Curtis Denver - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Reviewed 6 January 2014

My husband and I visit Denver very frequently. We often stay at the Curtis because of the good location and pleasant experience we have always had....until recently. My husband and I planned a trip to Denver over the New Year holiday. Because of the weather that caused recent flight cancellations and delays, we were unable to make it to Denver on the expected day. When our flight changed from delayed to cancelled, I called the Curtis to let them know we would have to cancel our room for that night. Per the policy, cancellations have to be made by 6pm local time on day of arrival. Unfortunately our flight wasn't cancelled until 7:30 pm local time. I asked if they would waive the cancellation fee since it was only 1 1/2 hours past their deadline. The representative said there was nothing they could do about it and I would be charged the one night fee. As a Hilton rewards member, I would have appreciated a bit more accommodation. Because of their inflexibility I cancelled my entire stay with them and stayed at the Courtyard Marriott on 16th Street instead. I understand hotels need to enforce policies, but a little flexibility goes a long way when it comes to customer service and customer loyalty.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Kate T, Director of Sales at The Curtis Denver - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear kamayaaloha;
First of all, please accept my apologies for this experience that you had. We are always willing to waive cancellation fees based on cancelled flights, weather, illness, etc. We certainly understand that these are unavoidable situations and you should not be penalized for this.
We've searched our records for your information, but were not able to find anything - can you please reach out to me at kate.thompson@thecurtis.com so that we can correct this straight away?

All the best

Reviewed 5 January 2014

A couple friends and I stayed at The Curtis back in June. It appears that the hotel has been remodeled recently, and while the decor might not be for everyone, it's clean and new. The Curtis is centrally located, and within easy walking distance to where we wanted to be in downtown Denver. Staffers are friendly and willing to offer a number of great dining and drinking options.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Hi Lauren N!
Thank you so much for coming back to see us! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Curtis. There are more updates and changes to come....so come visit us again soon!

Reviewed 2 January 2014

The Curtis was going through some updates, so there was construction on a couple floors. However, we only noticed because we wanted to visit every floor to see the themes. The staff was great and we didn't notice any difference. The hotel smelled amazing, and the parking was very convenient. The hotel was beautiful and it was a wonderful trip.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Kate T, Director of Sales at The Curtis Denver - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Hi Amanda B!
We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we can't wait to welcome you back soon. All of the guest room updates will be completed in March, so we encourage you to come check it out!

Reviewed 2 January 2014

The hotel has an interesting design and each floor has its own theme - really like that about hotels when they do that sort of thing. I was only there for a night so I did't get the full entire breath of the hotel (as I would have liked to see each floor's theme). The hotel is situated in a nice part of downtown close to lots of different restaurants and attractions. I was a little ticked off that my diamond member preferences were not honored as I was put on a lower floor and right near the elevator which are not my preferences. The room was tiny as well which I can understand but I am sure they could have put me in a better room. I called down after checking in and there was nothing they could switch me into so that's that. I would think that when assigning rooms they would take care of their diamond members first but this wasn't the case and frankly turned me off.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Hi Roddy_Rod;
Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am so sorry about the shortcomings when it came to your preferences. We absolutely work to accommodate all of these requests, but the hotel currently has several floors out of order while we refurbish our guest rooms. This leaves us with fewer options, but this is temporary.
These updates will be completed in March and we would be thrilled to welcome you back and better accommodate your requests.

All the best,
Kate

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night and really enjoyed it. The room was spacious and the bathroom was bright enough for makeup application but didnt burn my retinas. Location is great, especially if you're seeing a show or the symphony. What really sets this hotel apart is the service. Everyone was exceptionally friendly and helpful, and actually seemed to care about making our stay enjoyable. There is a strong fragrance pumped into the lobby, which is off putting for those of us with sensitivities, but don't worry...there was no noticeable smell in the hallways or our room. All in all, a great downtown Denver choice!

• Stayed: December 2013

Hi soapandco!
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and really appreciate the shout-out for guest service - it's our number one priority.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed here one night to do some downtown activities with our two boys. We received great last minute rate that included parking. It is very rare to find such a great rate with downtown valet parking included.

The service we received was beyond excellent from start to finish!! This is not a hotel that I believe is frequented by families but the staff did not even blink when we arrived with our two boys. They were very good with any questions we had and were happy to offer suggestions.

Our room was a standard downtown hotel size but was very very recently remodeled, you could even smell how new the room was. The bedding and pillow choices were excellent and we found the beds to be comfortable. The bathroom was small but well appointed and modern. There was no bathtub in our room, only a shower. This is not a big deal to us and our kiddos but I thought it was worth mentioning for those who may find this to be an issue. The water temperature and pressure was good and consistent.

They had a very nice HD TV set up but they must have been having satellite issues as several channels they stated to carry were not there and several others, including local networks were fuzzy or even frozen. I was feeling under the weather and stayed in bed for the evening and sadly was limited in my viewing choices.

Since I was under the weather we chose to order room service. We were amazed by the low prices and the HUGE portions we received. I got the club sandwich and soup, both were excellent!! The club was made with turkey that was roasted in house and you could tell the high quality of each ingredient. My husband got the chicken and waffles and it was enough to feed an army!! He said it was delicious. We ordered an appetizer of chicken tenders for my two boys and it was like an entree portion. They loved it. They also had cotton candy on the dessert menu and it was fresh with flavors rotating daily, a nice treat for the boys. It was a pleasant surprise overall!!

There was one issue I had with our room. We were on the 4th floor and right outside of our window was a huge AC/Heating unit that was VERY loud. I thought it may just become white noise over time but it did disturb my sleep into the night. If we were to return I would ask about that when they assign our room as it did bother me.

We enjoyed our short stay here and we would consider returning for the fabulous service and rates!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Lem0ngirl;
We can't thank you enough for your awesome review! We are so glad that you and the boys enjoyed your time at the Curtis and in downtown Denver. Total bummer that you weren't feeling well, but we're glad that the soup and sandwich hit the spot.
Thank you for the note about the noise on the 4th floor - we've shared this with our engineering team to look into.

Come see us again soon - Stay Happy!