“Inventive, Entertaining”

The Curtis Denver - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #34 of 160 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Downtown Denver is big and busy and dense, not the kind of place that I like, but it sure is vibrant. The Curtis Hotel is a wild hotel designed to appeal to the younger urban denizens.  They had live rock music playing loudly when we arrived, and a lemonade table inside "for charity".  The place was as busy as all heck.  Each floor is decorated in a different theme: we got the 13th floor, which happens to be the horror movie theme… pictures of Jack Nicholson in The Shining, for instance, and other memorable quotes or pictures.  Not overdone, thankfully.  Our room said "Sleep Well", and was furnished very inventively, never using a conventional piece of furniture or functional object if they could re-imagine its use.  But it all worked together well. They had to have had a great design team. I have never stayed in a hotel that ignited flights of fancy… sort of fun.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Kate T, Director of Sales at The Curtis Denver - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Hello rendahl!
Thank you for your review...and thank you for giving the Curtis a try!
We're not your run-of-the-mill hotel, but we still believe that celebrating fun and highlighting nostalgic memorabilia can help to put a smile on every guest face. We hope you'll think of us again the next time you are in Denver.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I feel the that for what we paid as a group of 7 to stay at your hotel was more than what we should have for what we received. The location is great, your staff is attentive and friendly especially the young lady with the tats at the bar. She made the best suggestions for things to do in you wonderful city and put up with our shenanigans, I wish I could thank her again for how helpful she was. However... I wouldn't writing this if there was not a dark side to our stay. The A/C was so loud it had to be turned off to sleep. The food at the restaurant was terrible, I had the chicken and waffle one day, something I have at many restaurants, never have I ever thought about battering chicken with pancake batter... Way to much sweetness on top of the already sweet waffle, the whole concept of this dish is sweet and savory and this just did not work. Take this off your menu or go savory with the chicken batter, your future guests will appreciate it. The other thing I had was the burger that was soaked in cheese. It was a creative idea but the execution was sub par. The burger was overcooked and the cheese was cheap American cheese, the fries were soggy and I probably ate about 3 bites and took it to go where I ended up having to toss it because I had nowhere to put it since the fridge in the room would not fit your to-go boxes without removing the shelves which was impossible because the doors don't open all the way. We were a party of 7 who all had the same opinion of the food in the restaurant, so much so that after our lunch on the 2nd day of the trip we refused to eat there at all and journeyed out to find food elsewhere. It was really disappointing since 3 of the 7 people on this trip are chefs or work in the hospitality industry. The room looked clean at first glance but the vents in the bathroom had a disgusting layer of dust caked to them, as well as the ledge where the hula girl was standing, there was a balled up piece of green gum behind the door and the faucet was spotty like it had not been wiped down from the previous guest. The shower curtain was not the right size for the shower, every time I showered it created a huge puddle on the floor that I had to clean up with one of the 4 towels each day, lucky for me we had plenty of towels. The TVs were so slow to change channels that I started to think I broke it, what gives?? Update your TVs, waiting 5-10 second between channels is not acceptable. Lastly I would recommend including internet free as part of the room rate, I travel a lot and since roughly 2006 have never stayed in a hotel of this caliber that did not offer free Wi-Fi, had to run to Starbucks several times to send files back home for work which was very inconvenient.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Hello Joshua L;
We greatly appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us. We truly take these reviews to heart and use them to improve and to make what we have better. Your comments have been shared with the restaurant and with the housekeeping team regarding the quality of the food and the cleanliness of your room. Also, it sounds like the batteries were low in your remote, so we've informed our engineering department about the lag time in changing channels.

All the best,

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Great theme for each floor which you have to go check out if you stay here.
However our room was really small and overlooking the roof terrace of the university dorm which was next door so not great. The room was clean and did have everything you need except space! Good value appetisers/snacks in the bar during happy hour. Ideal location for downtown.

• Stayed: September 2013

Hi Nickoo9;
So glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Curtis!
We do have several rooms with mountain and/or city views and will be happy to honor a request for these views on your next stay with us. Please come see us again soon!

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived at 3:00am at the lobby from the airport, our flight was delay, dead tired and not in the best mood. We where received by the most professional, courtious, and happy front desk attendat i have ever met in years of travelling and years in the hotel industry, I think her name was Jullie, the rest of the staff was greattttt and so pleasant to be received by them. If i could i hire all the staff that was at the front desk.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello santiago r!
Thank you so much for your recent review and for the shout-out to our night manager, Julie. She is amazing and can make anyone feel welcome....even at 3am. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My Girlfriend's 25th birthday and I wanted to stay in a cool place. The hotel rocked. My experience with all of the staff was fantastic and it was great for us.
The hotel is themed and the theme is, "Happy, retro chic."
The corner office restaurant and bar was good. Great job Matt, the barkeep. Matt was a highlight as we needed directions, a cab and good drinks. Check, he had that covered.
You can see from my picture that I am in the business, many years in the food Mecca, The Napa Valley. So, I know food and beverage.
Rhys Tekelenburg, who's name I saved from the confirmation, was awesome. This guy has hospitality down. I booked online and called for specifics, due to the birthday celebration, and Rhys was smooth and uber friendly. Whoever hired this guy, kudos.
Also, dog friendly! Great place! Sam's #3 is right across the street. Sam's was featured on "Diners Drive-ins and Dives."

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matt M
Kate T, Director of Sales at The Curtis Denver - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Hey Matt M!
Thank you for making us your home while in Denver. We are so thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the birthday celebration was a success. We've shared your note throughout the hotel and will absolutely celebrate both Matt and Rhys. Thank you for the awesome review and please come see us again soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed here as a couple for one weekend and had a great time. Everything was very clean and the hotel was exciting to explore. It is a much needed break from the monotony of other hotels, but it was nice to feel at home in a double-tree.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Isobel H!
We love your review -thank you so much for sharing your experience. Please come see us again soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is not a hotel for children. Nothing fun for them to do as advertised on line. Bar is sloppy and unprofessional. The breakfast with the room was good. This is not a hotel my family will be returning to.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Hi Kathryn W;
I am so sorry that you and your family did not enjoy your time at the Curtis. Please know that we have shared your comments with the restaurant team about your experience at the bar and will absolutely use this as a training tool. Thank you so much for your feedback.

All the best,