“Convenient Boutique Hotel”

Magnolia Hotel Denver
Ranked #45 of 161 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 17 May 2009

My husband and I stayed here for about a week while we attended the 2008 World Science Fiction Convention.

The hotel was conveniently located to the mall (with its free shuttle) and within walking distance of the Convention Center.

The hotel is in a former bank building. Our room was high-ceilinged and comfortable. Sound-proofing was excellent, and we slept very well.

There was an ample hot breakfast which was well-attended while we were there. They also had an evening "cookies and milk" event which we went to several times. There was an afternoon wine and beer offering, but the one time we were able to be back early enough to attend it was being held in the small bar and we didn't want to push through the crowd.

My one suggestion would be that they change the "milk and cookies" to the early slot, and make the "beer and wine" event a later event.

I would recommend this hotel to someone who wanted a comfortable hotel convenient to downtown.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,812)

Reviewed 16 May 2009

My husband and I and our two "twenty-something" sons stayed at the Magnolia during a recent, leisure trip to Denver. We all agreed it was a great stay and we would definitely return if Denver is our destination. We had two, double rooms on the top floor of the hotel. Our rooms were tastefully decorated, clean and adequate in size (not spacious). The hotel served as a great base for taking in a Rockies game at Coors Field and attending a concert at the Paramount as well as checking out shops and restaurants on the 16th Street Mall. Everything was easily accessed on foot (especially with the free shuttle on the Mall.) While on our trip we also visited Roxborough Park and Rocky Mountain National Park so we had a car. We found the parking garage next door to the hotel very convenient and the weekend rates were quite reasonable. (We did not take advantage of the hotel's valet parking.)
On the second night of our stay, my husband and I were concerned because a bacholerette party was based in the room next to ours. We were pleasantly surprised to find the sound was sufficiently insulated so we were not disturbed by the party.
Our sons' favorite feature of the hotel was the evening beer and wine reception. We took advantage of the hot breakfast each morning, the beer and wine reception each evening and the cookies and milk/coffee/tea one evening. With good rates to start with and these extras, we consider our stay to be one of the best deals we've ever found.
I have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to anyone visiting Denver!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2009

I stayed at the Magnolia Hotel during a recent 3 day business trip to Denver. It was conveniently located within walking distance of the convention center and the 16th street mall. The hotel is in an old building that has been tastefully restored. A very good hot breakfast, cookies & milk, and cocktail hour are included with the room price. The staff was always courteous about shuttling me to my destinations. As a frequent traveler, I have to say that this was probably the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in. Now, the down side... my room was super small... with approximately 3 feet to spare, on each side of the queen bed. The decor was really dated... heavy brownish-maroonish crushed velvet draperies covering the large old windows, a dark brown carpet, and an orange, brown and white 70's print bedspread. I commented on the smallness of the room, when checking out, and was told that it was their smallest. Although I enjoyed the comps and the staff, I would not stay there again, because of the room being way too small and very claustrophobic.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
MagnoliaHotels, PR Director at Magnolia Hotel Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2009

Thank you for your feedback, we were delighted to find you experienced our hotel as one of the cleanest you’ve ever stayed in. I just wanted to let you know that after spending $13 million on a renovation within the past year, some of the new bedding has yet to come in; so, the room you stayed in with the multi-color bedding will soon have new bedding that is a calm, wheat (off-white) color with a teal accent throw. I hope you’ll give the Magnolia another try, next time on check in request a larger room or inquire about our upgrade to a suite… we have 119 suites out of 246 rooms so often there are great suite upgrades! Thank you again for staying with us and for the feedback. Happy travels.

Reviewed 23 April 2009

The Denver Magnolia Hotel was the best surprise ever. It was on the list of hotels for a conference I attended, and its proximity to the conference center made the choice easy. This hotel is fantastic. My "room" was about the size of my apartment at home - approx 700 square feet! There was a kitchen, a living room with a sofa that easily sat 8-10 people, a flat screen TV, dining room table, great bathroom, a separate little room for my clothes and a bedroom (second TV). I could not believe the size of this room. Everything in the hotel was complimentary, the wireless setup, the gym, breakfast, you name it. Every evening between 5 and 6 PM was Happy Hour (free beer and wine) and from 8-10 PM free cookies, coffee, tea and milk. The hotel courtesy shuttle drives you everywhere if need be, the staff is super friendly. This is the place to say at in Denver!! Bravo!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2009

My husband and I are from Alberta, Canada and went to Denver to attend 2 Avalanche games. We are pretty fussy about what hotels we stay in as we consider it a treat and want a real "home away from home". I picked the Hotel Magnolia from reading various reviews online. When we arrived, the employee at the front desk upgraded us to a suite because we were staying for 6 nights. This was complimentary. We found the suite spacious, clean and very chique. We thoroughly enjoyed the complimentary breakfast, the happy hour which gave complimentary draught and red and white wine, and the cookies and milk before bedtime. They also give complimentary high speed internet access. Alan, the consierge was sweet and helpful and couldn't do enough for us. The location is unbelievable. You are right alongside the 16th street mall and close to all restaurants. We will definitely stay at the Hotel Magnolia again when we return to Denver!!! Keep us the great service!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2009

I can safely say that I will stay at this hotel from now on whenever I visit Denver.

First, the prices were fantastic. $110/night for a suite, and then we got upgraded to essentially a one bedroom apartment.

Great staff, very accommodating. The free breakfast is OK, we ended up cooking our own a few mornings. The location to 16th street is ideal, even in the middle of a blizzard.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 April 2009

We only stayed one night here, but due to the location we were able to walk everywhere. Capitol building is very close and 16th street mall is one street over. They have a free shuttle that will take you where you want to go or you can use the mall street free bus. A short drive to the airport. Staff very friendly. The free wine/beer reception, milk and cookies and breakfast buffet made the stay even better. Rooms nicely decorated. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family