“Pricey But Nice Stay”

Ranked #44 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Pricey But Nice Stay”
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Denver Marriott City Center for one night as part of a business trip. Overall, the accommodations are what you would expect from a Marriott. My room was very nice and the service was professional. I did not visit the bar, restaurant or gym during my stay so I can't comment on those amenities (although the bar was packed when I check in on a Tuesday night). My main criticism is that like most hotels these days, all the adds on are very expensive. The only parking they have available is valet parking for $30 a night and of course, you have to pay to connect to the wi-fi. Given the room rate and the fact that this Marriott caters to business travelers, it would be nice if they would provide free wi-fi rather than trying to nickel and dime their guests for every amenity.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Steve A, Director of Sales at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Great feedback! We pride ourselves on providing a great product and service. We offer alternatives to valet parking to our guests so please take advantage of those the next time you are in town. Thank you for being our guest and come back and see us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

The rooms are tiny and cramped. There was a lightbulb burned out in the bathroom. Parking is very expensive. No water pressure. The beds are extremely uncomfortable. You can get a lot better room for your money.

The only good thing is that it's in walking distance of 16th street mall.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback as we always continue to try and improve our products and services we provide our guests. I would encourage you that anytime you stay in a Marriott hotel that you let the staff know if there is something wrong with the room. We have a team on-site dedicated to ensuring everything is in working order when you arrive. In this case, your light bulb could have been replaced in seconds. Please compare room sizes and parking charges the next time you stay in Downtown Denver as we believe we are comparable to other hotels like ours. Give us another chance the next time you are here!
Watertown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We switched our hotel to this one from the Brown Palace, wished I didn't do that.

This Marriott in the center of the city is convenient, but that's about it. Service was sub-par - especially as a platinum member. Room condition was poor, breakfast was a rip-off.

Upon checking in we went to our room, which had a decent "mountain view", but definitely not what I asked upon checking in, nor asking about an upgrade to a nicer room with a better view. The room was also in stage of disrepair, with paint/wall paper peeling and many scuff marks throughout the room.

Additionally, the room was rather small and the bathroom was tiny - definitely not the quality I was expecting.

The bed itself was not the most comfortable of marriott bed's I've stayed in either.

As a platinum member I get breakfast for free - this hotel said that if I wanted hot items I had to pay $6 extra per person to receive this. I mentioned having over 70 nights stayed this year in a number of hotels and have never experienced this before. She said that is their policy. Strange/bad policy - definitely not the experience I expected.

Definitely will not stay here - will certainly try the Brown palace on the next trip.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Steve A, Director of Sales at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Thank you for your candid feedback about the hotel. I want to thank you for your loyalty to Marriott. As a platinum member, you are our most valued customer and should be treated as such. We continue to improve the hotel by spending money on various renovation projects and enhancements. As for the service in our hotel, we often times are complimented on it. Our service scores are always on the forefront of what we do so I urge you to come back and try us again the next time you are in Denver.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2014

When your rooms are small and dated, you are under renovation and you recently were cited for cockroachs in the kitchen, you think you would make up for it with customer service. I checked in my a coworker who received a rate $100 less per night than me for side by side rooms (his was $189 and mine was $290). When I asked them to reconsider my rate they said they would get back to me and never did. When I reminded them, they refused to do anything about it saying that I booked later and they were close to full so our corporate rate did not apply. I checked out and went to an outstanding room at the Hotel Monaco for $100 less and free internet and received a suite because they actually wanted my corporate business. The Monaco is rated as one of the best 500 hotels in the world! This Marriott might not even be in the top 500 hotels in Denver. I am an executive of a company with offices across the street from this hotel and no one from our company will ever stay there again. I am a Marriott fan but this hotel stinks.

Room Tip: Ignore this hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike N
Steve A, Director of Sales at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Thanks for your feedback as we would appreciate the chance to regain your trust in our hotel. Room rates are dictated by our availability at the time of booking which is most likely why you did not receive your special corporate rate. We are conducting on-going training for our staff to be able to respond back to our guest questions about rates and availability.

We are aware of the reported issues related to the hotel. Marriott takes food safety very seriously and as a result has established very strict food handling policies and procedures. We have corrected all matters identified in the inspection report and are taking the appropriate steps to prevent this situation from happening again. At no time were the hotel’s food and beverage operations closed and the hotel passed the most recent health department inspection in December 2013.
Chappell, Nebraska
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Along with two other couples, we spent the night of Dec 31, 2013 at the Denver Marriott. We were in town for a concert and to ring in the New Year. We've stayed at this hotel before, so we knew what to expect. It's conveniently located to the lower downtown area of Denver and was close to the concert venue we were attending. The rooms are small and the entire facility is in need of a bit of maintenance and updating. Breakfast was included and it was excellent. Value is average and since there are so many choices of good hotels in downtown Denver, I would probably choose to stay elsewhere in the future. The concert we were attending recommended this hotel and supposedly had a "special room rate", but I'm a bit skeptical about that.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ed B
Thanks for your feedback as we welcome you back anytime! We are currently in the midst of updating our lobby and other public areas of the hotel. We have many special rate agreements with venues across the City. Black-Out dates sometime apply during the course of the year which New Year’s Eve is included in those. I’m excited to hear your experience with Breakfast was “excellent” and our “conveniently location” came along with your stay with us. Give us another chance as I’m sure your experience with us will be different next time around.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Not the best Marriott I stayed in. The room was very small which is not typical for the Marriott hotels in the US. Great service at the front desk! Excellent location very close to the Convention Center. However, I would not dare to walk there at night alone but Denver as a city does not seem to be very safe, so it is not about the hotel location. Good choice for a short business trip.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your business and your loyalty to Marriott! Did you know the FBI rated one of the Country’s Safest Downtowns? I’m glad to hear you found our location and service “excellent”. . We are in the process of renewing our lobby with a new fresh look and Colorado feel. The size of our guest rooms is actually pretty comparable to other similar hotel brands in Downtown Denver. We hope you come back and see us again.
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed 2 January 2014

They cost more than enough for their crappy rooms, which don't even have a veiw, I've stayed at hotels for $50 a night with better service and nicer beds, and they also charge you for wifi... which is free in most of America. also they charged me a smoking fee for $250 and i don't even smoke. they were very rude when I confronted them about the charge. I am surprised they don't have a coin machine to allow you to use their bedsheets. I would never even look at this hotel agian!

Room Tip: Don't use this hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your candid feedback as we strive to provide positively memorable customer experiences for our guests. While we would love to have perfect views out all of our guest rooms, the construction of our building does not allow for that. Since being the first hotel company to make all of its hotels “smoke free” our guests have responded with rave reviews. The charge of $250 is a way to deter guests from smoking in the room and the cost to clean and refresh the room. At times, the room needs to be taken out of service in order for the odor to go away.