“Not enough stars”

Denver Marriott City Center
Ranked #40 of 158 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I have never seen such a professional and talented staff as I saw in this hotel. I work with hotels and this staff adds a new definition to "class". My family and I needed a lot of assistance and at no time did this staff fail to provide above and beyond. Looking at them just makes you wonder how they can be so good. The accommodations were beyond compare. We hated to leave. The BEST experience I have ever had.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience at the Denver Marriott City Center! We are thrilled to hear that you found the staff to be professional and talented. It is wonderful to know that they exceeded your expectations, as we take great pride in our guest services. We hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

There are newer reviews for Denver Marriott City Center

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here and really enjoyed it and the staff went above and beyond. I came down with a really bad fever on my first night and they sent security up to take my temperature, it was 102 degrees. They offered to call an ambulance to take me to the hospital and when I said I didn't want to take one they got me a taxi instead and they even paid for it. I told them they could bill it to the room and they said they would do it as a courtesy at no cost to me. That was very nice of them and it truly went above and beyond my expectations.
On the second day there I found out that my mother died and they were even able to look up the address of the Jefferson County coroner's office for me.
It was a sad depressing time for me and they did their best to cheer me up.
I recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Denver for pleasure or business.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your experience at the Denver Marriott City Center! We take great pride in our guest services so we are thrilled to hear that our staff was able to exceed your expectations. We appreciate your recommendation and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, should your travels bring you back to Denver.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Alisha helped us at the front desk. Very nice. Room is good, the air is not working so well. I bid for this hotel on Priceline. We paid 65.00' normal price is 170.00. 16th street mall was just a few blocks down. Lots of stores and restuarants.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Denver Marriott City Center. We are very happy to hear you were pleased with our rooms, staff & location. We value your feedback, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Denver soon!

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I stayed here April 17th-20th. The place looked nice initially and everyone was helpful. The valet guys hounded us the second we pulled up though and immediately valeted the car without telling us how much it cost or anything else. We just wanted to pull up to unload luggage then park the car ourselves. The valet guys went out of their way to get the car and park it in their lot without okaying it with us first. Turns out it costs $38 a day for valet. We didn't even want the service. They also lied at the front desk when asked about the valet telling us it was a great deal because it costs around $20 a day to park in that area and you can't pull your car out and put it back in without paying a fee. Definitely untrue, I found a place less than a block away that allowed us to park for $12 a day. It also was based on time, so if we pulled it out it only cost how long it was in. Plus, even if I wanted to pay the exorbitant $38 a day, it takes then 15-20 minutes to pull the car around. That's just slow as molasses for that much money plus the valet guy will expect a tip on top of it all. So strike one for Denver Mariott City Center.

We finally got our rooms without much difficulty. There were two of us, coworkers on business, staying in two separate rooms. On a side note, they didn't send a bellhop to bring the luggage on a cart which seems common in these higher end hotels, but I'm not a wuss and wasn't too bothered by it. It does bear mention though. I finally get to the room and start the unpack. The room was very clean and recently renovated from the looks of things. I definitely appreciated the newness of it. The bed was also extremely comfortable which added to the allure. The TV was 1080p and not faux 1080p, because when I hooked my laptop up to it, I got a full 1080p picture. That was a nice touch. From here came the problems. First off, they disabled the ethernet plug in the rooms, so I was unable to plug my laptop in for internet. It's not a huge deal because I do have wifi, but a plugged in cable will always be better and faster than wifi. Plus, they charge $15 a day for internet they deem "high speed". I am a server admin by trade, and 800 kb/s down is in no way high speed. I get faster speeds via 4G on my freaking cell phone, give me a break. $15 a day for such crummy internet felt like a rip off of epic proportions. It definitely upset me. I also checked out the business center later on to see if they had higher speed internet down there, but they wanted another $15 a day on top of what I paid in my room to use it. Talk about a rip off. Make the rooms cost more then if you plan to nickel and dime people or give us internet worthy of the high speed label to make it worth $15. I stayed in a different hotel while staying in Fort Morgan earlier in the trip that cost less than half of this one per night, and they had faster internet with no surcharge plus free breakfast. Here they wanted $20 for freaking waffles. Those better be some damn good waffles for $20. That doesn't even include the $8 for coffee. Definitely a very sorry situation when a company has to nickel and dime guests needlessly. Strike two for the Denver Mariott City Center.

This final part is the part that angered me more than anything during this infuriatingly bad stay at this so called luxury hotel. My coworker and I shared one rental car during the trip. He left the keys for the car at the front desk reception with the bellhop, so I could pick them up in the morning to go about my business. I go down Sunday morning to checkout, and the receptionist at the desk cannot find the keys in the back. Then this giant Amazonian blonde woman starts copping an attitude with me regarding the keys acting like it was my fault the keys weren't there. She practically insulted me to my face like I was some kind of moron and refused to look for the keys unless I got in touch with my coworker and had him tell her who he left them with. I finally got in touch with my coworker who confirmed he left the keys with the bellhop. I then talk to a different women who isn't a pissy Amazonian that helps me find them in, get this, the TOP DRAWER of the bellhop's desk. How hard is it to find keys in an envelope with my room number and name on them in the TOP DRAWER of a bellhop's desk? Talk about inexcusable. Then you're going to cop an attitude with me when you're the one that screwed the pooch? Talk about a horrible employee and a horrible ability to handle a simple situation with speed, dignity, and class. Mind you, I had already checked out, so I was stuck sitting in the lobby for about 45 minutes while this all played out. This also delayed me from being on time to a brunch meeting I had that morning. Strike three for the Denver Mariott City Center.

Long story short, I will be back in Denver on business at least three more times over the coming months, and I will never ever under any circumstances set foot into that hellacious hotel ever again. They need to treat their guests better if they hope to continue to earn business from me or my company.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bryan H
Steve A, Director of Sales at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Bryan,
We appreciate the feedback and hope at some point you can give Marriott another chance. With regards to the valet rates, our rate is $35 per night; the Hyatt Regency, Westin Tabor Center is the same and the Sheraton Downtown Denver is $36, currently. The internet rates at each of those hotels are also comparable with similar speeds. The prices of our food in the hotel’s restaurant are also very similar to the three hotels listed as well. I will ensure your comments are shared at the next hotel operations meeting so that we can critique each department mentioned.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Standard Marriott rooms in regards to comfort and styling. Staff lack ability to add a genuine personal feel to their service but I guess this comes with the size of the property. It's rather expensive and they charge you for everything. Wifi is $15, water is $5 in the room...

Room Tip: Denver is really dry, bring your own water into the room for night time!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank deansmith333
Steve A, Director of Sales at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Thank you for your comments as we value your opinion! I’m hopeful we can earn your business the next time you are in Denver as I’m sure your opinion will change regarding our staff. The wireless internet and other charged amenities within the room are comparable to similar branded hotels of our size. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

My husband and I arrived for a brief one night stay to visit Coors Field. From the minute we walked in the door to the time we left we had a great experience. All of the staff members we encountered made our time there all the more enjoyable. The staff is really what blew us away. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful.
Clean and well maintained all through out the hotel. We used the workout facility and pool. The beds were so comfy. We did not want to get up and catch our plane home in the morning. We had a great time and if we are ever back in Denver, we will stay here again!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PODS1311
Steve A, Director of Sales at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Thanks for all the great comments! The staff here is wonderful and really look forward to creating positive guest experiences. Come back and see us again.

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

The new lobby looks fantastic. They still seem to be doing a little work, but it looks great.

The room was well appointed, the bed was exceptionally soft and the shower was strong. All strong pluses.

We had dinner and drinks in the bar. The waitress was helpful and attentive and the shrimp tacos were surprisingly good. Bonus points for having proper corn tortillas.

For a night away from home, you can't beat this place.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple