“Great service”

Denver Marriott City Center
Ranked #40 of 158 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 29 May 2014

First things first. Parking is not convenient - $35 for Valet. However, they do have a text number to retrieve your car when you are ready. It was there by the time we came down the elevator. Customer service was great. Greeted me as an Elite member and gave me a choice of breakfast or points. I selected points. I was given a nice cold bottle of water and that was welcomed. The hotel is in a good location and just a block or so away from 16th street. The room was comfortable and very clean. They have a Starbucks on the property and that was nice. I definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share a review! We appreciate you reaching out and sharing your recent experience. We pride ourselves on providing unparalleled customer service, so we are pleased that you found both comfort and convenience during your stay. Thank you for your feedback on our valet, as it is serves as a valuable tool for our team. We appreciate your loyalty to Marriott and hope to serve you during your next visit to Denver.

There are newer reviews for Denver Marriott City Center

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel is very nice, clean, friendly, and convenient. What they don't manage to advise you is that there is very little parking: a garage across the street which charges $14 every time you come and go. The hotel valet is $35.00 per day and is offsite. If you want your car, you have to call at least 20 minutes ahead. The valets still expect a tip when they bring your car and when you return it. Too expensive for this type hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. While we are happy that both the customer service and quality of your room were up to the high standards we have here, we apologize for any inconvenience regarding parking. We appreciate your feedback as it is a valuable tool for our team. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We've stayed at this hotel a number of times and never had a problem until this time.

Booking: The nightly price used to be about $139, but when I went to make the reservation this year it was $179. I called the hotel to find out if this was correct. When I spoke to the reservations desk I told them we come out every year for Denver Day of Rock and the price was never this high. I was told that the hotel had been renovated and the price of the rooms went up. *sigh* ok, not a huge deal, and I went ahead and booked the room - only to find out later through the Denver Day of Rock website that I could have reserved a room with parking for $139. Granted a limited number of rooms were available at that rate, but it would have been nice if they checked or at least told us about the promotion for next year.

Hotel Staff: Aside from the bartender, Paul, and the woman who checked us in, the hotel staff seemed uninterested in being there. I watched the staff at the check in desk for a while while we waited for the rain to stop one day. They stood around looking bored and unfriendly. It sort of put me off.

The actual hotel: Everywhere I looked online it said the hotel was renovated. Everywhere I looked in the hotel, it looked the same, except for the lobby. Hotel carpet was the same, rooms were the same, furniture was the same. So they increased the nightly price by $40 to renovate the lobby?

The room's bathroom:
- Since there is no exhaust fan in the bathroom, the wood is beginning to peel and warp from the steam.
- The paint is all chipped, the door is in terrible condition, the sides of the mirror are filled with dust in the cracks, the mirror itself needs to be re-silvered, the frame on the picture in the bathroom is chipped.
- The towels are great if you want to exfoliate outside the shower.

The actual hotel room:
- The major surfaces are wiped down, but the top of the headboard on the bed and the top of the lamps are filthy with dust.
- You get about 10 channels on the television, but feel free to pay $18 for a movie that is "Still in Theaters!" (but in reality, it has been out of theaters for quite some time, I am looking at you American Hustle and Wolf of Wall Street). And if you fall asleep during the movie, you are out of luck. You get one viewing of it and that's it! And you can't rewind it.
- No mini fridge. I don't even care about the minibar, just a fridge to keep water cold.
- The bed. OMG worst night's sleep ever. Sure, it is luxury bedding and some folks like a soft bed and pillows, but I barely sleep the three nights I was there. I woke up every morning with my spine on fire and a crick in my neck. If you have to sleep on a firm or semi firm bed, this is NOT the hotel for you. I almost called down to get an extra comforter so I could sleep on the floor, but considering the state of the headboard and its dust, I couldn't be sure what condition the floor was in.

The Internet:
- FORGET IT!
- If you'd like to pay $14/night for slow wireless internet, this is the place for you. But if you have to actually do work, you might as well pack up the computer and find something else to do.
- Basically, you pay for a service that doesn't really work and when it does work it is so slow that it isn't worth using.
- We called down to the desk to inquire about the Ethernet cable and were told that the hotel is completely wireless now - no wired connections work.
- We called the company the provides the service and despite his efforts, he wasn't able to get a faster connection.

The Bar Area
- The food isn't bad, surprisingly. Sure it comes out on plates that are too small to let you move your food around comfortably, but overall, the food is decent.
- It is extremely expensive - $13 for a cheeseburger, but really, when you're hungry, you'll pretty much pay anything.
- The wait staff has always been ... slow. Thursday May 22, I believe his name was Norm, took forever to notice we were there, come over and take an order, and bring our drinks over. Thanks for not bringing me a lemon, Norm. Even though I asked for one with my water. But don't worry. When you are ready to pay the bill, he is VERY attentive, coming over and asking if everything was all right, is there anything else he can get you, what are you doing in Denver, etc. All while you are trying to sign the bill. Friendly as can be at that point. Just don't expect any service until then.
- Paul, the bartender, you are a rock star! You've been there every time we've stayed there. You're friendly, you have a great personality, you take such great care of us when we can get a seat at the bar. You and the Boss Lady that was working with you Saturday night are the only bright spots in our stay at the Marriott this weekend.

Overall, next time we come out to Denver, we'll be looking for another hotel.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your time at the Denver Marriott City Center. We appreciate your honest feedback, both positive and negative. Your comments are essential in allowing us to uphold and maintain the guest experience. We are sorry to hear about the obstacles you encountered during your stay. Rest assured that we will pass your comments on to the appropriate management associates to ensure that we are doing all we can to offer the best guest experience possible. We are glad to hear that Paul was able to help make your stay more enjoyable. We sincerely hope you will reconsider and join us in the future so we may be able to offer you an excellent experience.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Very nice location, close to convention center, walked about 4-5 blocks. Near lots of eating places found on 16th street mall dr. Our room had full size beds would have preferred queen size as we shared room amongst 4 people.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to offer a detailed review of your experience at the Denver Marriott City Center! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our location, the dining options nearby, and the excellent service. We strive for the best in our guest services and are so pleased to know that you found our team to be friendly and helpful. Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I live in the Denver area but attended a three day workshop at this hotel and wanted to "remain in the energy field", so to speak. Fortunately my husband dropped me off as valet parking is $35 a day - although there are lots nearby where you can park yourself for much less. I requested a lower floor, a microwave, and a fridge, all of which I got and that helped make my stay much nicer. The location is perfect being just a short distance from the 17th Street business district, and a block away from the 16th Street Mall where there are many shops and restaurants. The hotel lobby area is very pretty. My room was nicely appointed, clean and comfy, with a huge TV and a view toward 17th Street. The room had a coffeemaker and it made pretty good coffee. All of the staff with whom I interacted were well trained and cordial. There were several events being held concurrently and I marveled at how smoothly everything ran. Obviously these folks have their act together in managing events.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your experience at the Denver Marriott City Center! We appreciate your positive feedback on the location, our lobby, and the nicely appointed room. We are thrilled to hear that you found the hotel to run so smoothly and the staff to be cordial. We take great pride in our guest services. Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the future!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at this Marriott during a recent business trip. The hotel is located in the downtown Denver area - walking distance to everything. Room was clean, the workout room was adequate, and they have a Starbucks within the hotel.
What made my trip is that I inadvertently left two clothing items in the room. I called the front desk as soon as I got the airport. The clothes were found and shipped to me free.

Room Tip: There's a Walgreen's just three blocks away on 16th and Stout St. that stays open late.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Denver Marriott City Center! We appreciate your kind comments regarding many of our amenities from the clean rooms to the fitness center to our prime location and on- site Starbucks! We are very thrilled to know that you found our staff members helpful and made your trip great as we pride ourselves on excellent customer service. Thank you for your positive review and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We really enjoy this hotel because of the clean rooms, comfortable beds and pillows and they are decorated very nicely. They have an excellent breakfast buffet in the basement which is very relaxing. My husband said its one of the best he's had. It's a pretty Good value and the staff here is very helpful and friendly. This hotel is close to a lot of great restaurants with outdoor seating , fun shopping, and within walking distance to the Rockies stadium. The parking is a little bit pricey at $35.00 per day. That would be my only complaint. We will definitely stay here in the future.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your review of the Denver Marriott City Center! We appreciate all of your feedback as it is essential in helping us continue to improve upon the guest experience. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed many of our amenities from the clean rooms to the excellent breakfast buffet to our prime location. We are especially pleased that you found our staff to be very helpful and friendly as we pride ourselves on offering fantastic customer service. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future!