“mixed review”

Ranked #41 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Waukee, Iowa
“mixed review”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I stayed here last weekend and have to give it a mixed review. Part of the area directly behind the hotel is a scary part of town. They don't have enough parking in front, so you have to park in the back or in an underground parking garage. The area behind is not well lit and you have to walk all the way back around the building (and it's a big building) to get in. There is a very high fence with barbed wire on the top along that side, but there are several gates (which are closed but I felt would be easy for anyone to get over). I didn't feel safe either leaving my car on that side or walking by myself at night to get to the door. The underground parking garage entrance/exit is open and is also on the back side of the building so anyone can get down into there, too. I did park there as I thought it was the best option. When I got out of my car and into the building, there weren't signs as to how to get to the hotel...there was however a young guy just kind of standing around there...I was scared and I don't scare easily. I had my suitcases, purse, and there wasn't anyone else around...Luckily down a hallway I spotted a phone so I went and picked it up started babbling and the young guy stared at me for a bit and left. I think if you were in a group, the parking situation would be ok. Alone, not so much. The route up to the hotel from the garage is winding and not marked. There are other businesses along the way (all closed at night). The area to the east of the hotel is fine...there are LOTS of restaurants, shops, coffee, etc. If you stay on the east side of the hotel, Quebec Street is very noisy...be prepared for that. The room was ok. There is a small balcony off each room (at least there was on the east side). However you can't leave your sliding door open because it would be very easy for someone from the next room to crawl over between the balconies. They do provide a bar that you can put across to secure the sliding door when it is closed. It is nice during the day to be able to go out there and look across the city. I would imagine on the west side there is a mountain view. They have sleepnumber beds which creak when you even sit on them. The sink in the bathroom is a pedestal...no room for hair dryer, etc. while you're using it. For some reason the toilet was set out far from the wall. It's in the way when you step out of the shower. Strange. There was a little refrig. and microwave in the room which was nice. There's also a little one cup coffeemaker, but you have to move it to find a place to plug it in...not very convenient. The room was very clean. They don't give you very many channels on their cable/satellite. The front desk staff was very professional and helpful with any questions. They did say they had security outside but I never saw them. I would stay here again if my husband was with me...not if I have to come back by myself..

Room Tip: Try to get the west side...mountain view and not on a busy road.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
ALMansfield, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Denver East-Stapleton, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
I sincerely apologize that you did not feel safe while staying with us due to an incident in our parking garage; however, please know that it is under constanct surveillance. In fact, the entire hotel is monitored by security guards and our local police department.
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review and I will certainly pass along your feedback to our entire team. We take great pride in what we do, so we truly appreciate your comments as we are always looking for ways to improve!
We hope to welcome you back to the property in the near future!

Amber Mansfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Carbondale, Colorado
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I had a very pleasant experience with Alyssa at this hotel. Upon initial check-in she had a small refridgerator delivered to my room within the 1st hour. I needed this badly due to dietary restrictions and the need to buy special food. The next night she switched rooms for me without hesitation due to the smell of cigarette smoke from the floor below. It made the rest of my 5 night stay much more pleasurable. Alyssa handled all of my needs with efficiency and with a smile. She is a great asset to your organization.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
ALMansfield, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Denver East-Stapleton, responded to this review, 19 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how everything went with your most recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Denver East Stapleton! I am so pleased to hear that Alyssa was able to accommodate you and make your stay more comfortable by helping you move rooms and deliver a refrigerator for your dietary needs. I will make sure to pass along your comments to our entire team, including Alyssa. We hope to see you again in the near future, but until then, take care!

Reviewed 16 November 2011

Older hotel, but the service is great and the sleep number beds are awesome. I sleep better here than any other hotel.

• Stayed November 2011
ALMansfield, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Denver East-Stapleton, responded to this review, 17 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property! We greatly appreciate the positive feedback and I will surely pass along your comments to our entire team. I am pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed our Sleep Number beds. It is so important to us that our guests sleep comfortably! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Lawrenceville
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Stayed here 3 nights in a 2 double bed room since our daughter was with us during this part of our trip. We were on top floor corner room with a great view of the mountains and Denver cityscape from our balcony. Plenty of space in room and bathroom; had fridge and microwave, wi-fi worked good. Clean and quiet, bedding, carpet, etc looked fairly new, friendly service throughout the hotel, b'fast buffet was enjoyable. Wasn't crazy about the sleep number beds, but still got good nights sleep. Good location to visit different areas of the city. Can't comment about the price since we used priority club rewards points and got free coupons for b'fast. Only complaint is the parking....very limited spaces in front and side and parking garage; however, parking is free so really shouldn't complain too much!! Interior of hotel is quite impressive when you first walk in...was to us anyway. Enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the west side and on a top floor for amazing views of mts and cityscape.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
ALMansfield, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Denver East-Stapleton, responded to this review, 12 November 2011
Thank you for submitting such a wonderful review on your most recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Denver East Stapleton! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed our spectacular view of the Rocky Mountains and downtown Denver from the eleventh floor as well as the customer service that was provided to you and your family throughout the entire hotel. We take great pride in what we do, so that is always nice to hear! I will surely pass along your comments to our entire team including that you thought the hotel was clean and quiet, the bed and carpeting in your room looked fairly new, and the breakfast buffet was enjoyable. I apologize that our sleep number beds did not meet your expectations. When making a reservation in the future, please know that we do have rooms without them! We look forward to welcoming you back, but until then, take care!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 November 2011

The staff was very customer service friendly, especially the front desk. They really went out of their way to ensure my trip was as easy as it could be. The restaurant was also great! Can't wait till my company decides to send me this way again!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
ALMansfield, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Denver East-Stapleton, responded to this review, 11 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review on your most recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Denver East Stapleton! I am so happy to hear that we were able to make you feel at ease and comfortable while you were here with us. I will make sure to pass along your comments to both our front desk and food and beverage teams. We hope to see you again in the near future, but until then, take care!

Reviewed 2 November 2011

was in a corner room with a westerly view. Very nice. Looks like it may have been a old Embassy Suites. Parking in front very limited so if you park in the back there is no back entrance. Those sleep number beds are crap.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
ALMansfield, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Denver East-Stapleton, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
I sincerely apologize that our Sleep Number beds did not meet your expectations during your most recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Denver East Stapleton. Please know that we do have rooms available on property that do not have these beds in them, so feel free to ask for one the next time you stay with us! Also, we do have an entrance that leads to the back parking area; however, you can only exit from it. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future! Thank you for your review!

San Jose, California
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Sara at the front desk, went above and beyond. When I called to find out how often the van ran, she knew my crew desk had not scheduled a room. She knew she had already checked in all her FA's for the night. She took my name and file number called my crew desk and had a room waiting for me when I arrived. She was extremely pleasant on the phone and in person. She helped make my bad day better. She is a star in my book. Thanks!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
I am so pleased to hear that Sarah was able to make your bad day better by helping with your accommodation at the Holiday Day Inn Denver East Stapleton! I will surely pass along your comments to our entire team, including Sarah herself. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. It truly helps measure the service we provide at our property! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!