“A bit shabby”

Ranked #40 of 156 Hotels in Denver
Seattle, Washington
“A bit shabby”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

I have been travelling for business frequently over the past few months and have stayed at several three-star hotels. This has by far been my least favorite (and not up to the usual Holiday Inn quality).

PROS:
-- The lobby is clean and newly renovated.
-- Staff is very friendly.
-- Check-in and check-out were quick and efficient.
-- My standard room had a balcony with a gorgeous view of the mountains.
-- Parking is free, but outdoor parking spots in front of the hotel are scarce. There is a decent amount of underground parking, but it is not directly under the hotel. You will have to walk through a quiet office building to connect back to the hotel.
-- Free wifi

CONS:
-- There were several people loitering around the hotel lobby and grounds. They were there throughout the afternoon and evening when I went in and out of the hotel. They did not appear to be hotel guests.
-- While my room was relatively clean, the bathtub was gross. Once the shower was turned on, standing water accumulated (even though the drain was open). My feet soaked in several inches of standing water while I took a short shower. This was an issue that housekeeping should have noticed while cleaning the bathtub.
-- The lock on my balcony sliding door did not work.
-- The closet door could not be fully opened as it was not on the track.
-- The bed is a SleepNumber bed. While I slept well, it is not my preferred bed, so be aware when making your reservation!

LOCATION:
-- There is a strip mall with several shops and restaurants across the street.
-- It is a short drive (15-20 min) via local streets from downtown Denver and Aurora.

For future trips to Denver, I would prefer to stay at another hotel, especially for the price that I paid and the abundance of other hotels in the area.

2 Thank WinterJetsetter
Sarah I, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Denver East-Stapleton, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear WinterJetSetter,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your comments and apologize for not meeting your expectations during your stay with us. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and hope that you consider staying with us in the future to see the improvements we have made to our guest rooms and overall hotel. Thank you again.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

From the time you check-in to the time you check-out, the staff always has a smile on their face.
I've always stayed at 4/5 star hotels around the world and I can tell you that this hotel is that type of caliber.
A professional staff to stay the least.
From Sarah at the front desk, to Aaron, Francisco and Tyler in the restaurant, they make you feel right at home.
The staff is always there to help you out with any concerns you might have.

I highly recommend H/I Stapleton.
Thanks for the hospitality!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Rockies.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Sarah I, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Denver East-Stapleton, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Eddie S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a great review! We appreciate your compliments and will share them with our entire team! We take great pride in the service we provide and are glad you were able to build relationships with some of the members of our team! We look forward to seeing you the next time you visit Denver! Thanks again!

Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

Just got a preview of the incredible new bar in the lobby. What a great addition to an already amazing hotel. Lots of open bar space surrounded by beetle stained pine make this bar the mountain lodge you'll never want to leave. 12 taps of Colorado specialty beers, an infused vodka program, & nightly local specials make this the place to be!

While there, Josh Reall, the night manager, will make sure everything is taken care of. The staff, above all, is concerned about customer satisfaction and will do whatever it takes to make your night perfect.

• Stayed August 2013
Sarah I, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Denver East-Stapleton, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Dear Marc H,

Thank you for taking the time to write an awesome review! Josh is a great member of our team and are glad to hear that he was able to give you a sneak-peek of our new bar! We are so excited and hope to see you when the bar opens in the next few weeks! Thanks again!

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

First of all, the staff are super nice and truly go out if their way. This would be the only reason I would return.

This hotel was a Radisson a few years back. It was a dump then and it's a dump now. There have been a few updates over the years. Few being the operative word.
The place is filthy. When I first arrived, the floors on the 2nd floor looked like that hadn't been vacuumed in days. There was paper and gum wrappers everywhere. I get in my room and its only a little better. I picked up the phone to make a call and decided to use my cell. The phone was disgusting. Absolutely filthy! There was a small refrigerator sitting in the corner, with an ice bucket on top- tacky. The bathroom was old and there was dried toothpaste all over the wall behind the sink. Housekeeping really does the bare minimums in this place. The room I was in looked dirty and shabby.

Then you have the neighborhood- get in your room before dark is all I can say. This area is very unsafe. I went across the street to have dinner and found myself in gangland. If you have to stay in this area, go to a hotel that's at least clean. That way when you hear gunshots, you can hide in a clean bath tub!

1 Thank cemory268
Dear cemory268,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your compliments about our staff however, apologize for the housekeeping service you experienced during your stay. Please know that this is not our normal practice and that your feedback has helped target areas of the hotel that we need to improve. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again in the future to see our service improvements.

St. George, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Sara, the front desk manager is the best!!! She will go above and beyond to help you with what every you need. She is very knowledgeable and always making recommendations to help in any way. She also performs her best when she is under pressure.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank hayn1002
Dear hayn1002,

Thank you for taking the time to write a great review! We take great pride in the service we provide and are glad we were able to meet your expectations during your stay with us! Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you the next time you visit Denver!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

The woman at the front desk, Sarah was by far the most helpful customer service person I have ever met in my life! She has definitely given this holiday inn 5 stars in my book. She did everything in her power to assist myself and my roommate to make out stay comfortable

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Docsolano
Dear DocSolano,

Thank you for taking the time to write a great review! Your compliments are appreciated and will be shared with the team. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Bridgman, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Adequate. I'm not a big Holiday Inn fan, I try not to be too critical and it seems as if I have stayed at several Holiday Inns lately….still not a fan. The hotel does the job and was average, perhaps a tad below average. The first experience I had when coming in from the downstairs parking garage was a man asking me for the wireless password…very odd and it was very obvious he was not a guest at the hotel. I had to continue my walk down a vacant hallway to get to the reception area- for a single it was a bit disconcerting and I felt unease. Another item that I felt uneasy about is the balcony, I usually enjoy a balcony- but these were too easy for someone to go from one balcony to another. All in all, it was an ok hotel, I can't recommend to those that security is of high concern - not sure you'll be able to sleep.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank PracticingTourist
Sarah I, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Denver East-Stapleton, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear PracticingTourist,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your most recent stay with us. Please know that we do have 24-hour security that will escort you the time you are in town. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you consider staying with us in the future.