“"Palace" is a bit of a stretch”

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #23 of 160 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Review is based on my overall experience for one night around the holidays. My "Average" rating might be too tough, but "Very Good" seemed too high. 3.5 is better suited.

Lobby is beautiful and I found guest check-in to be extremely pleasant. Room decor is what you'd expect from a historic hotel (I'm not typically a historic hotel kind of guy) - although I found my room to be comfortable. Bathroom was small but functional. I did like the updated "full body" fixtures in the shower.

For dinner I dined at the Ship Tavern ... this experience was less than satisfactory. OK ... it's a "tavern", but the seating was VERY uncomfortable and really packed tight! I ordered the Fish & Chips believing that it would be a "signature" at a place called Ship Tavern. Wrong! The fish was heavily battered and had virtually no flavor. No amount of malt vinegar or salt could bring out the flavor. Accompanying chips were fine. OK ... I've had bad meals before, but the staff was initially somewhat indifferent to my bringing this to their attention. In the end they did buy me another Chimay which was thoughtful.

Would I go back? I would, but my expectations might be a tad lower and it would have to be at a decent rate. Location is very good and the holiday decor was very nice.

One more note ... the hotel has a reputation of being haunted. No biggie ... I think that's kind of cool. Prior to this stay I have never had a paranormal experience, but was awoken by what sure sounded like someone breathing in my room at 3am. Not making this up, and I'm certain I was awake. Interesting ....

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience.

We are glad you were able to visit The Brown Palace during the holiday season when the Atrium is festooned with elegant holiday decor. I am also pleased to read that our staff provided you with a warm welcome to the hotel and that your guest room was comfortable.

It was quite disappointing to learn, however, that the fish you received at Ship Tavern was lacking in flavor and overall quality. I have shared your feedback with our culinary team, which will be most useful as we continuously strive to offer our guests the best dining experience possible.

I would also like to apologize for any disturbance that may have caused you to wake in the night. Please be assured that no paranormal activities have been confirmed at the hotel.

I regret that we failed to provide you with the overall experience you were anticipating and should have received. We remain hopeful that you will allow us an opportunity to deliver a more memorable stay in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,807)

Reviewed 18 January 2012

This is an older hotel...but well maintained.

Pros:
Great Location, Nice ammenities, comforable beds, nice bathrooms, bottled water provided daily, Keurig coffee maker, clean rooms, great customer service.

Cons:
Older hotel, slow elevators, dated rooms.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience and for staying with us at The Brown Palace.

We're very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay overall, and that you especially appreciated our convenient location in downtown Denver, the amenities in your guest room and the professional service from our staff.

I am sorry to learn you experienced a delay with the elevator service and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We will be sure to investigate further to ensure the elevators are working properly.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

Nice hotel in a great central location in downtown Denver. Amazing cigar bar, but room decor is stodgy and dated.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

We are very pleased to read you enjoyed your experience at Churchill's. Our sophisticated cigar lounge is quite popular and unique to downtown Denver offering an extensive menu of single-malt scotches, small-batch bourbons and premium spirits and wines along with a selection of over 60 cigars from our customized humidor.

I was disappointed to learn, however, that the decor of your guest room did not meet your expectations. We are grateful for your feedback, which is our best resource for improving upon our services.

We hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 9 January 2012

This was our first trip. It was snowing so we got around with taxi`s which was easy and not as expensive as it sounds.
The restaurants are all good with different syyles of dining available.
It is an historical place from the art deco era with lots of history that was there before it became a hotel.
It is so beautifully done with all of the staff friendly and so willing to help.
We would go back!

Room Tip: There is no particularly good view since the 9 story Hotel was built before the building got taller...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank wahine1
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

We are delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us and appreciate the time you took to share your experience.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 8 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Brown Palace right before the holidays. I couldn't agree more with the individual who commented that the hotel was noisy, uncomfortable, and had average service. We were thoroughly disappointed and thought about checking out each day and driving home (we live locally). The hotel itself is impressive and we appreciated the history very much. I recommend a meal, tea, or maybe just a walk around the hotel (inside and out) rather than an overnight stay there. I recommend you save your money on this one!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tristen A
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

It is truly disappointing to learn of any occasion where we have failed to provide our guests with a memorable experience.

The holiday season does bring more life to the Hotel compared to other times of the year as patrons come to experience special holiday events and take in the beauty of the decorated Atrium. I am deeply sorry if this additional activity had impacted your stay in a negative manner.

I will be sure to share your critique with our team so that we may continue to improve upon the experience we are providing for our guests. I remain hopeful that you will retrun to allow us an opportunity to deliver the stay you were anticipating and should have received.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we may be of any assistance, or if you would like to share any additional feedback.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed at Brown Palace for a wedding anniversary. There is certain understated elegance about this hotel. Staff is genuinely friendly and professional. Our room was large with a comfortable bed. Clean bathroom with big shower and large tub. Turn down service was a nice touch. We had a 5-course meal at the Palace Arms restaurant. The food was absolutely delicious and presentation incredible. We are definitely coming back for breakfast at Ellington's. We both had relaxing massages at the spa. Spa is beautiful with incredible service from staff. Definitely recommend this hotel and spa.

Room Tip: choose top of the brown
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

Congratulations on your recent wedding anniversary!

We are honored you have chosen The Brown Palace to celebrate your special occasion. We are delighted to know that your celebration with us was truly memorable, and that you particularly enjoyed your dinner at Palace Arms and the pampering at The Spa.

It would be a pleasure to serve you both again and hope you can join us for breakfast at Ellyngton's soon.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

Afternoon tea was superb - an unforgettable experience. Will definitely be back next time in Denver. It exceeded all my expectations!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

We are delighted to know you were able to experience a longstanding tradition here at The Brown Palace.

Our Afternoon Tea is an event every one should experience from our decadent scones, tea pastries and sandwiches freshly prepared and artfully crafted by our Culinary team to the elegant ambience of our Atrium with live piano or harp music. Devonshire cream shipped directly from England completes this authentic tea experience.

We hope to see you at another Afternoon Tea very soon!