The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
GreenLeadersGold level
Brighton, England
“A royal venue”
Reviewed 22 March 2008

Booked via Expedia and with a confirmed price in our home currency (£) was better than booking direct. We went for the superior room level and it was not disappointing. Staff helpful and friendly.
Old but historical hotel where yet again you get the advantages of the standards of yesteryear eg large rooms, separate hanging space/ROOM, thick walls so no noise from neighbouring rooms or the elevator system. Only gripe was that without opening windows you had to have the air-conditioning on and it was a little noisy. With it off we did find the room getting quite warm- perhaps it was our request for a high floor and its atrium design could encourage the heat to rise!??. Would stay again but try a floor mid way.

• Liked — Comfort of bed
  • Disliked — noisy air conditioning
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed 14 March 2008

This is a most historic hotel with a lot of nice old features.

There is an excellent piano player i teh afternoons, who is slightly audibloe in the bedrooms. It is as though it's Frank Sinatra in Around the World in 80 Days. Butch Cassidy or Sundance could appear at any moment.

Beers are good in the Ship Inn and tucker healthy.

Rooms are a bit small on the whole but have everything one would expect.

• Liked — Historic Features
  • Disliked — Small Rooms
  • Stayed March 2007
1 Thank millgent
Ouray, CO
Reviewed 14 March 2008

A stay at the Brown Palace is a true historic experience, with modern luxury. The rooms are comfortable and interesting, we have stayed in two different parts of the hotel. One a very gracious suite when our family needed a home base at the holidays,the other a very sweet small room that was needed for a busy skiing weekend. The smaller room worked for us but was indeed historic in the sense that it was just for sleeping and getting ready for busy days, not for sitting around in. But still well appointed, clean and functional. We enjoyed the lobby for visiting and relaxing.

The spa is wonderful and all treatments I received were very well done, timely and sublime. The facility is quiet which made relaxing easy. All my needs were met and the experience was great thereby causing me to want to come back and to give two gift certificates for friends who live in Denver. A very enjoyable place to spend an afternoon.

Overall a very lovely, delightful weekend experience, and one that we will surely repeat.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tsmOuray_CO
liveindenver
Reviewed 12 March 2008

I was disappointed that when I booked a package online, the reservation was not correct when we arrived. The front desk informed me that I would have to pay more money if I wanted the package. I had to have valet get the printed confirmation from the truck to prove what I had booked. Also, the valet hit the front of our truck while it was in the garage. They obviously knew it had happened and wouldn't have informed us if we had not seen the damage.
The SPA was Amazing, though. Also, Ellington's brunch is worth every penny.
We will go back, but I will book over the phone next time.

• Liked — Spa
  • Disliked — Front desk
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank liveindenver
Maplewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 March 2008

Stayed here on business last month for one night. I was given a very small room that barely had room to walk between the dresser and the foot of the bed. The bed had a footboard with newel posts at each corner that hit my upper leg every time (ouch!) I went to the desk on the other side of my cell, oops, room.

The very narrow and outdated bathroom had a very dangerous step leading up into it. The old-fashioned tub was very deep and narrow, was difficult to get into and was surrounded by a very clingy shower curtain (gross). Minimal shelf space for toiletries above the small pedestal sink, which was cracked, as was the mirror. I am 5-10, and my knees touched the wall in front of me when I sat on the toilet.

Other than that, the room had a 42" plasma TV (shockingly!) and was pretty clean. The people at the door and the front desk were very nice and friendly. My wake up call was on time. The concierge was completely clueless when I asked about airport transportation options and the location of the nearest Starbucks.

I really wish my company would strike a deal with a better hotel in Denver! I was not at all happy at this one....

• Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank hartss
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2008

My husband and I recently spent only 1 short night at this wonderful hotel and have nothing but great things to say about our stay. The staff & service were absolutely exceptional & they did everything possible to make our stay enjoyable and comfortable. Our only regret was that our stay was too short. We had a lovely and very spacious room & two great meals via room service (we had a very tired baby on our hands!). If ever we pass through Denver again we would not consider staying anywhere else!

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank Travelbug070
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 February 2008

Usually older, historic hotels let you down. Brown Palace did not disappoint. We were greeted by the bellmen as soon as we pulled up. They offered to take our bags, but we declined. Doors were held open, and we were directed to the reservation desk inside the beautiful atrium. Check-in was quick and easy. Our room was on the sixth floor, not a great view, but when you're the oldest hotel in town, you can't do much about your surroundings. Room was a good size. Bathroom was beautiful. I loved the well water from the hotel's own well. You can read about it in the lobby. We had a few drinks at the hotel bar. Everyone there was very helpful, and I thought the club sandwich and homemade chips were solid for hotel food. I slept solidly in the comfortable bed. We had a nice breakfast the next morning. Eggs benedict and a Belgian waffle topped with fruit. It was very relaxing and the service was gracious. We got a great rate through the hotel website. I guess Denver isn't a popular place on the weekends. I have been disappointed by historic hotels in the past, but I would highly recommend this one.

• Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple