“Wonderfully Old Fashioned”

GreenLeadersGold level
Palm Beach, Florida
“Wonderfully Old Fashioned”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We've been staying at the Brown Palace for 18 years.....come for 2 or 3 nights each year.....love the place. The rooms are large and well maintained. In room dining is great and the Palace Arms Restaurant is a throwback to another era. It's conveniently located, plenty of taxis and a house car.

This time, they were having an issue with their wifi provider.....invonvenient.......but the way staff handled it was just terrific.

We're lifers.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Polish first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Hubby & I had concert & baseball tickets - so he traded Marriott points for a couple of nights at the Brown Palace. It was such a treat! Beautiful old school hotel. Great staff and service. Found a brochure in the room with interesting facts about the hotel to explore. Enjoyed a light lunch in the tavern. Breakfast a bit pricey - but other spots within walking distance. Location was good for enjoying the area. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 19 August 2013

There's nothing like logging on to write a review on a two-night stay at a hotel, only to learn there is a special where you can get a third night free. Nowhere on the hotel site or Marriott.com did I see that offer when making my reservation, nor was I told that when I checked in. I'm disappointed, as I would have loved to have stayed a third night at the Brown.

My visit was great overall - until the last hour. I had a quick breakfast in the restaurant and overheard my server explaining to another about the comped breakfast for Marriott Platinum members. While they were 20 feet away from me, the second server apparently didn't think that I could hear everything he said. He said he'd hate to have a job traveling and having to leave his family that much and it must be awful. As someone who balances work and home the best I can, I did not appreciate the comment, finished my breakfast, and left. I went to my room to get my luggage and went to the restroom one last time - and ran out of toilet paper. There was none in the room, which was inappropriate (I'm not a huge tp user and wasn't in the room much; it was simply poorly stocked). I got my bags and went downstairs to the valet, only to have the two valets talking to each other outside with their backs to me. You can't use the double doors and have to use the revolving ones, which were awkward with my two heavy bags. I am somewhat relieved no one was watching, as it was probably comical. Yet, it was unecessary - I think they should have someone stationed inside to assist guests.

My room was lovely and the attention to detail appreciated. The pub was noisy and I was initially seated at a small table where bar patrons had their backsides in my face; the server was quick to move me upon request - but I am not sure I should have been seated there to start with, given there were other tables available. I assume it was because I was alone. I believe it was the same noisy bar patrons who were up and down the 9th floor hallways at 1:30 am, which made sleep difficult a bit the the first night. The desk staff were courteous when I called and asked for a hall check, as the group had been past my room three times by the time I called.

Overall, this is a beautiful hotel and I so appreciated the opportunity to stay at the Brown, as I have wanted to for years. Except the last hour, it lived up to my expectations. The desk clerks were terrific and the room was beautiful. I'd stay here again - and would have stayed a third night, had I known.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank bearcatprof
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
We strive hard to meet the needs and expectations of all our appreciated guests and are disappointed when we fail to do so. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you had encountered within your last hour. Please be assured that the issues you experienced are not representative nor in keeping with the level of service that we wish to provide. Your observations have allowed me to personally review our standards, and concentrate on addressing the shortcomings with our operations team to guarantee that this does not happen again.

We hope that the ambiance and the service you had received from our front office this will give you cause to return and allow us the opportunity to provide you with a more memorable experience. In an effort to regain your confidence, please contact myself or our Hotel Coordinator Vanessa Chambless, at Vchambless@brownpalace.com so that we can properly oversee your next visit.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with necessary feedback.
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Brown in August. It was our first trip to Denver. We try to stay at a historic hotel in a different city every year. The Brown did not disappoint. First impression is the quality of service from the staff. From the doorman, to the front desk staff, to the bellhop (who was very knowledgeable giving us a quick tour of the hotel on our way up to the room), to the concierge (who arranged for a really nice tour of the nearby mountains and Red Rock Amphitheater - a must see!). Absolutely professional (which is what you'd expect from a hotel of this caliber). Second is of course the beauty of this historical landmark. Walking into the lobby takes you back in time. It's absolutely breathtaking! Our room was spacious and had everything we needed for our stay. We had one small problem with unlocking the safe when we first arrived, but that was immediately resolved.

We didn't rent a car, so wanted to be close to shopping, restaurants, museums, etc. The Brown didn't disappoint. It's conveniently located near the 16th Street Mall and LoDo which have so many restaurants and shops to choose from. We walked everywhere and when tired caught one of the many complimentary electric buses that run the length of the Mall and into LoDo.

If ever return to Denver, we will definitely stay at The Brown again.

1 Thank Susan G
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 August 2013

First time in downtown Denver, best location you can ask for. I did use all the restaurants and the food is of excellent quality, great variety and the Cigar bar is a perk. I was blown away by the Palace arms restaurant quality and five start service, you will not regret. The wine list is more like a book with extensive selection, the easiest way is to ask the sommelier your top price and he will select the best for you.
I did enjoy the breakfast complementary as platinum member but a bit disappointed because only continental breakfast, (real definition of continental breakfast) (16 dlls) was included, compared to a recent trip to paris where a 30 euros breakfast was included as MR platinum. Internet signal is excellent and the room was very clean and neat daily. You will not regret staying. I wished I had tried the afternoon tea time, don't forget. I heard the spa is also great. I forgot to say but quality is expensive.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
CT
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My husband and I arrived well before the 3 pm check-in time, hoping to just leave our luggage and start on our Sunday walking tour of downtown Denver. Instead, we were most graciously welcomed, checked in, and given a map with directions to our first destination (the Molly Brown House). Our queen-sized room was charming, but maybe a little small for two people. Likewise, the bathroom, although pristine, did not lend itself to a couple trying to get ready at the same time. But both made up in elegance what they lacked in size. Would we stay there again? In a heartbeat! This is an absolutely gorgeous hotel with wonderful friendly and helpful staff at all hours.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer a spectacular view of downtown Denver. Ask about size of room, some are small...
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 9 August 2013

After traveling from the east coast and tired we had a room mix up and rather than deal with it that night waited to morning. They switched us the next day. Not sure the room was much bigger but definitely more satisfying to be changed. The room itself seemed to have been neglected, needed to ask for new iron, never had a do not disturb sign for room and coffee area was not kept up. Other than that we would have rated the whole experience excellent. The Brown is magnificent and well worth the stay. We had dinner in the Tavern and enjoyed our meals, had cocktails in lobby with piano player and the best was the afternoon tea. Great experience. One block to 16th street mall where you can get the free bus all the way to Union station. Complimentary car service for evening use up to a five mile radius.

Room Tip: Top of the Brown, quieter rooms