“Historic hotel in Denver”

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #25 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Tampa, Florida
“Historic hotel in Denver”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Excellent location, walking distance to the art museum, 16th street mall and countless restaurants and attractions and shopping. Our hotel room was rather small but there was a Keurig coffee maker with plenty of options and the bathroom was lovely. Staff was helpful, in particular the concierge staff. We did not have brunch but living locally, I hope to make it during the holidays as the decorations are beyond words. Pictures do the hotel no justice during Christmas.

Room Tip: Get an upgraded room if you want a larger room.
Green Features: Environmentally minded business makes it an easy choice for a stay!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed here a few years ago..What a great hotel! It's very conveniently located, walking distance to everything you need downtown Denver. Was in town for a few days on business before moving to the city and the hotel provided an amazing first introduction to the city where i spent a couple of years after this stay. The rooms are average size, but the service is fantastic! And the afternoon tea there is legendary!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I used this hotel for a recent business meeting. The hotel is beautiful and was decorated for the holidays, so the lobby really stood out. The meet rooms were large and really very nice. The hotel rooms had a plethora of electrical and USB outlets, essential for all my equipment. K-cups in each room. The rooms were spacious and the bathrooms very nice. The walls are a bit thin, but that is to be expected in a older building. The staff went above and beyond supporting my meeting and my guests. Every person from the hotel I interacted with had a small on their face and was a pleasure to work with. Every one of my guest was pleased.

Room Tip: Make sure to inquire on where the have construction, and avoid that floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
BPManager, Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you for your review, we know how precious your time is and appreciate the kind words regarding our staff and the success of your meeting. We pride ourselves on the friendliness of our staff and this specific attribute is a hallmark of our service. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Regards,
The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa
Managing Director
mumbai
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed at Brown palace Hotel (by marriott hotel chain) in November 2013. I am being told that hotel was opened in 1892, 2nd old city hotel, but only hotel running continuously from that period.
I am being told most of US president's stayed at this hotel. Location of the hotel was perfect as most of the business office are closeby.

Considering such heritage, I expected old period architecture. Round iron pillars were used all over instead of concrete pillars. Old large staircases were prominant.
Interior wall papers looked very old, but it requires lot of attentions and care, if you want to modify anything. Interiors within room was perfect, Walls were perfectly painted etc. Bathroom tiles were of old fashioned, but shower were modern

It has city's best bars. 2 bars located within the same premises. There was no buffet breakfast, but waiters were polite taking breakfast orders. They had courtsey car in the evening which takes guest within 5miles radius

I got good deal $194 plus taxes while stay, but wifi and breakfast not included in the charges

I will stay here again if i get a bargain rate.

1 Thank vorapm
Los Angeles
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Clean, comfortable, nice bathroom, nice amenities. No mini-bar. A tea was going on in the lobby. Surprisingly quiet, given that there was a lot of activity. I am a big van of vintage hotels, so I enjoyed this one. Very well preserved. Décor a little dated, but in good condition. I would stay there again.

1 Thank Com4tCreature
Thank you for staying at the Brown Palace Hotel and Spa.

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and your appreciation of our distinct historic hotel. We are very grateful for your kind words and suggestions.

It would be an honor to welcome you to the hotel again!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed here several weekends ago for one night with family. I was a little hesitant about it because, although I grew up going to The Brown with my parents and have always had a special place in my heart for it, my last two visits in 2010 and 2007 left me deeply unimpressed with the service. I'm happy to say that, perhaps in part as a response to feedback from other travelers or from affiliating with Marriott as part of their Autograph collection recently, service standards were generally back to what you would expect from a 5 star hotel.

A quick note - I noticed another recent reviewer referred to the Marriott as now owning The Brown. I was a little confused about this myself when I saw the Autograph Collection designation, but for what it's worth, the hotel is still independently owned. I assume the arrangement with Marriott involves fees to Marriott, benefits of Marriott promotion, and some agreement to meet certain chain standards, but there is zero sense of Marriott inside the Brown Palace (and I consider that to be a good thing). The front desk told us it's been a positive affiliation for the hotel because they get more bookings now during their slow season.

A few tips for other travelers: this is a grand old hotel. It's been renovated and refurbished many times no doubt but they're not selling change and the latest thing. The restaurants here have been the same since I was a child and I was born in the early 70s. Personally, I think it's great that The Ship's Tavern looks just like it did when I was ordering Shirley Temples there with my parents. The food does change/grow with the times, however, and I've always found the food to be reliably tasty. Afternoon tea here is a major event, along the lines of what I'm more accustomed to now at The Peninsula in Chicago. Book ahead - we were already too late for Saturday's tea when we arrived in the early afternoon and could only get a noon time for the next day. Sunday brunch at Ellyngton's is also a big event for locals. Reservations are a good idea. For about $45/person you can get the non-champagne brunch and enjoy everything from cooked-to-order omelettes and all the usual brunch suspects to a full dessert station. I appreciare that the staff willingly accommodated our group of 4 because we were hotel guests, even though we didn't actually make reservations as I'm suggesting everyone else should do. I think it was a little inconvenient, but they made it work and handled it very professionally.

Also on the topic of "grand old hotel": their basic room is not large. Really, it's not any smaller than what you'll get at a Hilton Garden Inn either, but it seems smaller because it's a 5 star hotel. It was totally fine. Would I choose this style of room if I didn't have a lifelong relationship with the hotel? Maybe not, but it was reasonably priced compared to the comparable rooms at the Denver Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton. I also appreciated the totally modern (and obviously recently redone) bathroom. Rain shower was a really nice, subtle touch. The bed, on the other hand, was not good. It was squeaky, it seemed to move around just from the normal tossing and turning of two people sleeping, and it wasn't all that comfy overall. We reported it to the front desk at checkout and the man expressed the appropriate amount of concern and gratitude for bringing it to his attention. Don't know if that was an isolated issue for our room or not.

I left with the sense that the Brown may be recapturing some of its old grandeur and sense of exclusivity. Maybe it never lost it, but it sure felt down and out in 2007 and 2010. I would definitely come back here and I kind of kicked myself for almost giving up on it altogether and going over to The Four Seasons this time. I'm glad I didn't. A couple of their famous macaroons and brunch pecan rolls made me realize that there are some special things you can find here that I'll probably never find at any other hotel in Denver, no matter how luxurious.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Konafire
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I choose to stay at the Brown Palace because of it's history, AND that the food at the Ship Tavern is very nice. The room are small which matches the time period that the hotel was built in. I am glad to see that it now under the Marriott chain of hotels. They have kept the decor to the standard of the Brown Palace and not just like 'other' Marriott's.

Room Tip: Just be prepared to know that the rooms are small unless you can afford a suite. The views from the...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AZ85603
Thank you for staying at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa.

We are always delighted to hear from those that enjoy the history and the unique characteristics that make a stay here special. We are thrilled to have joined the Marriott Autograph Collection as it allows us to retain our history and unique qualities while offering Marriott members the experience they are familiar with.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Regards,