“Brown Palace is Stunning”

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #27 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Greenville, SC
“Brown Palace is Stunning”
Reviewed 25 August 2008

My family and I stayed at the Brown Palace this summer and enjoyed it thoroughly. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the accommodations were amazingly nice. This historic hotel has an atrium lobby with a stained glass ceiling that is a tourist attraction in itself. They don't build them like this anymore.

Stayed July 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Polish first
Washington DC
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Like all the reviews, I was pleased with the character of the hotel, and the wonderful stained-glassed celing in the foyer. This is probably a lovely place to have afternoon tea. However, as a guest, it was a big disappointment. The rooms were very old, especially the bathrooms which had not been updated since the 70s. We managed to change our room to one with an updated bathroom, but then we had no hot water in the evening or in the morning when we checked out. The reception area was very blase about our complaint, and refused to discount our room as we had already booked it, and prepaid via Expedia (something I will not do again for any hotel, as you lose all your leverage if there's a problem). In sum, the hotel is certainly is running on it's original reputation and character, but needs an "extreme makeover," and much more customer-oriented staff.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Old rooms and bathrooms, no hot water, view of the parking lot
  • Stayed August 2008
2 Thank Lucy4WashingtonDC
Reviewed 11 August 2008

I recently stayed at the Brown Palace while on business. This is a nice historic hotel with a lot of character. The grand lobby takes you back to the turn of the century . Room decor is maintained for the period with comfortable beds, huge windows but updated with well-controlled central air and a nice large screen TV. The one downside was the plumbing. The bathrooms have been maintained with the original tile floors and walls, the tub is the original tub so, the bathroom is somewhat dated but large and functional. My bathtub had a drain problem with water not emptying out for quite some even after calling maintainence. Also had a problem with the sink (severely leaky faucet) but otherwise a nice room. If you need a modern bathroom this might not be the best choice for you. Staff were very attentive and helpful and the location is convenient to most downtown attractions. Free internet access as well as a nice bar and restaurant in the hotel. There is also a spa but I didn't utilize that. Overall a nice historic hotel, comfortable, with character.

• Liked — Interesting historic building and ambience. Huge room with character.
  • Disliked — plumbing issues with bathroom
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
North Jersey
Reviewed 2 August 2008

First Impressions not to be trusted! Stayed one night in Denver after a great vacation in Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park. Upon arrival at Brown Palace, was most impressed with the hotel and staff. Hotel was beautiful and staff was very nice, professional, welcoming.
Until 10 PM when we started hearing what sounded like a cross between an alarm going off and a truck backing up - an intermittant BEEP BEEP BEEP of varying lengths. Impossible to sleep. Called the front desk at 12:45 AM. Was told that they were cleaning the banisters and that it would only be a couple more minutes. Sound continued for another hour. Called front desk again at 1:45 AM. Again told it would be a couple of more minutes. Eventually, at 2 AM, we were moved to the top floor where we could not hear the cleaning machines. Finally fell asleep around 3:30 AM and had to get up at 6:30.

When checking out, we were asked how our stay was. When we said that we had a terrible night, had almost no sleep and that it was caused by the hotel itself, we were met with blank stares and a very weak, "Well, have a nice day."!! Not even an apology.

If you prefer sleep to ultra-clean banisters, do not stay here.

• Liked — Historic, great location for downtown Denver
  • Disliked — No sleep, hotel cleaning noise all night, rude staff, no apology from hotel
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RandLa
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 27 July 2008

I recently stayed at the Brown Palace with my husband and 2-year-old daughter. My husband was there for a short conference so we tagged along.

This hotel definitely has a charm to it. It has a very interesting history, which the bellman filled us in on while showing us to our room. In fact, there are tours of the hotel two times a week.

The room wasn’t large, but was well appointed. The décor and furnishings seemed to accurately reflect the historic aspects of the hotel as well.

We did not use any of the hotel restaurants so we can’t comment on that. The afternoon tea in lobby looked great and I would definitely give it a shot on another visit without a 2-year-old.

Only problem we had was with the lack of hot water. In fact, we never had hot water – only lukewarm.

The location is definitely a plus. It is right off the 16th street mall and is within walking distance of the art museum, etc. The downtown location makes it convenient to take the bus to various places as well. We grabbed the 32 bus to get to the zoo and the 20 bus to go to the science museum. Both picked up and dropped off right across from the hotel. The little one was free and adults are only $1.75 so it was a great deal.

There are a lot of places to eat within walking distance or by using the free shuttle along the 16th street mall. There’s a lot of chains, but there are some good local options as well. We tried Mici (Italian / pizza), Wynkoop Brewery and Apaloosa Grill, among others. All were very good. Also had cupcakes from Yum Yum bakery. OK, but I’ve had better “gourmet” cupcakes.

Tip: The hotel charges for Wi Fi access; however, if you cross the bridge to the Comfort Inn, you can get it for free in their lobby!

• Liked — historic feel and location
  • Disliked — no hot water!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed 15 July 2008

The toilet leaked and the toilet tank would refilled in the middle of the nigh. The conceirge gave me incorrect directions and ignored me on another request. I was even charged me for a meal I never ate even though they said I would not be charged. The worst is when I wrote to the managing director to complain and received a form letter that never addressed my issues but thanked me for bringing my problems to his attention and assured me that my next stay will be better. Oh well, I guess some things do float to the top!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff, including the managing director
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Meathunter
Ortonville, Michigan
Reviewed 10 July 2008

We spent a Saturday night at this beautiful hotel. Right in the heart of Denver and the outdoor mall, we had a wonderful time. I enjoyed a message in the spa and it was one of the best I have had. On our way out of town on Sunday, we had Brunch in the restaraunt at the hotel. I have to say that it was truly the best brunch I have ever had. I definatly will be back to the Brown Palace.

• Liked — Sunday Brunch
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends