“Not quite what we expected for the price we paid...”

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #26 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Oklahoma City, United States
“Not quite what we expected for the price we paid...”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Good things:
Mohammed was extremely helpful and friendly on check-in. Called us as soon as our room was ready.

Also, throughout our stay, all the bellboys and valets were extremely helpful and friendly.

Room and bathroom was clean.

Piano in the Lobby Bar from about 4:30pm-7:30pm....Superb. The pianist was very cordial and pleasant. Nice selection of music.

Ship Tavern...Good food.

Not-so-good things:
Room was extremely small, but that was sort of expected. No air conditioning in bathroom, so with the warm weather that was a little uncomfortable. Mattress seemed like it has seen better days.

Tried to get a private tour of the hotel through the Concierge. He said we could do the public tours on the scheduled dates, or schedule a few days ahead of time to get a private tour. We were not going to be there on the dates of public tours, so we asked if we could pay for a private tour that day, and he said no. No other information, not particularly helpful, very business-like, and no offer to get me some sort of private tour since that was our only night at the hotel.

No bottled water provided. Bottled water was about $5.00 per bottle at the coffee shop.

Delay in talking to someone at front desk. Sometimes only one person checking people in and out.

Left sunglasses either in room or at front desk on checkout. Wife went right back in, and clerk would not let her go back up to room to check for sunglasses. He took 2 looks down the counter and said no sunglasses there. Very disappointing service at this point.

OVERALL: Probably about 3 stars. Definitely not a 4-star hotel at this point. Showing signs of needing some updating to keep the historic look and character, but they still need to be able to get up to 4-star quality and value.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Darryl I
BPManager, Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Darryl,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. Please be assured that feedback is most valuable to us and will help ensure that future guests have an enjoyable and meorable stay.

Our historian is only on site certain days, but I will reach out to the concierge desk and let them know that we need to convey that information to our guests better and I will reach out to the head of each department mentioned and have them discuss your comments with the staff.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the issues you encounted. We are sorry that you were inconvenienced and that your stay was impacted.

Regards,
The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Polish first
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is a must stop even if your not staying the nice. The building is really something to look at, the service is great and the restaurants (all of them) are first class all the way. I stopped in for lunch on a Sunday and had a nice casual relaxing meal.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Terrific, classic hotel in Denver. Great location, friendly intelligent staff. Very accommodating for a couple minor requests. Great location.
It really brought character and charm to a business trip. I'd stay here again any time.

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Travelled to Denver from the UK as it was the nearest international airport giving access to Rapid City where we were to join an 8 day tour of Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone and Salt Lake City. Had the pleasure of staying in this beautiful hotel for 3 nights. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful, our room was lovely (only criticism would be lack of small fridge/mini bar), the interior of the hotel is beautiful and from a bygone age, and the facility of a limo pick up within a 5 mile radius was great - it was our vehicle to the ball game and back!! Location is excellent being a few minutes walk from 16th Street Mall, and not far from the Capitol Building.

Of course we had to experience their afternoon tea served in the very comfortable lounge area with the glass atrium above. My husband is diabetic and would not have been able to sample the delicious sweet offerings, however, without us even requesting it, they had made him some sugar free desserts which made our experience even better! Not many places would do that! A harpist was playing during the tea, it was wonderful.

If ever we went back to Denver we would definitely stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Denver, Co is notoriously dry, with that said be prepared to bring your own bottled water as this hotel doesn't provide in room bottled water. I had to request room service for two bottles of water and pay the delivery, room service fees associated. If that wasn't enough, as a business traveler, adding insult to injury, this 4 star hotel charges a staggering $13.00 per day for wifi connection! In this day and age that is simply ridiculous. Overall the rooms are small, the hotel is dated and without the basic amenities of in room beverage service, refrigerators, and wifi, one would be better off at a standard Marriott Hotel. Save your money or stay at the JW in Cherry Creek. Never again will I stay here!

3 Thank 94AshleyM
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Ashley,

We always strive to provide a flawless luxury hotel experience and regret that you were disappointed in your stay. Please be assured that your comments have been shared with our management team.

Please accept my sincere apologies,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Whatever you do, do NOT stay here. We checked in at 4PM and walked into our room. The toilet in our bathroom was disgusting and had not been cleaned! I won't go into detail....I called the front desk and they said they would send someone up. 20 minutes went by and no one came. I called again and finally someone came. The housekeeper was so rude and didn't smile or apologize she just said, "So what's the problem?" I told her to take a look at the toilet. She cleaned it and immediately walked out, again not apologizing. Then, I noticed someone's paper luggage tag crumpled on the ground beneath the desk (they clearly didn't vacuum there.) I called the front desk again and told him to please have housekeeping remove it and vacuum later that afternoon when we left. Hours later, our room was cleaned but the luggage tag was still there!!! The room service was pathetic - the fruit plate I ordered had 2 blackberries, and cantaloupe with parts of the green rind still on it. I specifically asked for honey with my tea and they forgot it. Our sheets had rips in them and the towels smelled bad. The room itself was SO tiny and absolutely freezing even though it was 80 degrees outside and I turned off the air. Also they charge for Wifi! When we checked out, I complained and they only offered me $100 credit. I would have rather stayed at a Holiday Inn which probably would have been nicer for 1/4 of the price. HORRIBLE experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Jennifer F
BPManager, Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Jennifer F,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. I will reach out to our Director of Housekeeping and let her know about your experience with us.

Please be assured that your feedback is valuable to us and will help ensure that future guest experiences will be enjoyable and memorable.

Regards,
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I am a longtime fan of the Brown Palace Hotel. I stayed there last weekend and had another wonderful stay. I booked a suite, which was beautiful and quiet. I had a pot of tea in the atrium while listening to a wonderful trio and surprise singing performance by a guest. Then, I had an exquisite dinner with an old friend at the Palace Arms. In all, the entire experience was magical. Thank you so much for keeping this gem of a hotel as I have always remembered it!!!

Room Tip: I booked a room away from the atrium because I am sensitive to even small noises and sound can carr...