The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
GreenLeadersGold level
budapest
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2008

My stay was a short getaway and I really enjoyed it. I liked the size of the room and the location.
I liked the big fancy lobby. The service and food at the restaurant was great and I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Polish first
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2008

My husband and I got a great deal through hotwire for a 4 star hotel and just ended up at the Brown Palace unfortunately. We read some reviews that were negative and some positive, and after staying here I completely agree with the negative ones. Everything people are saying is true. We are not rich and we don't normally stay at hotels like this, so staying at this hotel should have been a luxury to us but honestly we expected A LOT more from this place. We knew we were proably going to have to valet but tried to find parking at a garage. There are barely any garages or parking and if you do find one it's either monthly, no overnights or the ticket printer won't work. All of that happened to us so we had to just suck up the 26 dollar valet parking. The staff was very nice. Check in was fast and pleasant. It was a little to stuffy feeling for us. We arrived during afternoon tea which was neat to see but not our style. To really sum up how stuffy this hotel is, in the hotel directory book in the room they have a part that talks about suggested attire. It basically said to dress appropriately to match the ambiance of the hotel and the environment that guests expect when staying there. Thought that was pretty snobby. Anyway, we were on the 4th floor and I dont know if we just got screwed or what but the room was literally the smallest room i've ever been in. It was like sleeping in a closet. There was no room to get between the bed and the dresser so basically i racked my knee on the bed posts about 4 times. Came home with a lovely blue knee souvenier. The bed was really unfomfortable. The down comforter was the nicest thing but doesn't make up for a stiff back. Room had a ceiling fan and flat screen tv. The bathroom was the pits. You have to literally step up to get into the bathroom. It wasn't just a one or two inch step. It was so high up that when you step down from it you dont just step down, you fall down into the floor. It gets really annoying after a while. When opening the bathroom door, it pretty much slams into the toilet everytime because the toilet is right behind the door. You can't even see it if the door is completely open. It had an old time sink in there which didn't bother me until i noticed it wouldnt drain. We had to break the plug to get it to work. There's NO counter space. I read a review about this and didn't think it would bother me until i actually needed to lay out a bunch of things and had no room. The tub was disgusting. I hate to admit we didn't even shower for two days because it was so nasty. Brown stains around the drain and all on the wallpaper. It just didn't feel clean. I know this is an older hotel and it's supposed to be so charming and boutique feeling but for the money and star rating, i think they could afford to clean the place up and at least update the tubs so they're not rusting!! Room service was of course very expensive but that's typical. The only thing that bothered us was the 3 dollar 10 oz sodas from room service we had to order b/c the floors don't have vending machines. I had a cold and my husband was too tired to go try and find a walgreens so you pretty much have no choice but to pay the money. This place pretty much ruined our trip. I rather of stayed at the hampton inn down the street. At least if you're staying at a hotel like that and if it's not up to par it's because you're at a [----] hampton. This is supposed to be such an excellent high rated hotel and it wasn't! There are plenty of hotels downtown in great locations. I wouldn't hesitate to book a 3 star hotel next time because it's probably a lot more spacious and cleaner then this hotel. Sometimes you really don't get what you pay for!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The room was too small and uncomfortable
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank snowfaery5
Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2008

My Husband and I spent 3 nights here during August. We enjoyed our stay. The Hotel, according to the locals is steeped in History.

Our Room was spacious, Clean and Comfortable.
The downstairs area had a real ambience about it. Staff were Friendly and Helpful.

We dined in two of their Restaurants. Ellyntons, where we had Breakfast. The food and service was great.
and Ships Tavern where the food was also good. However the airconditioning was very cold.

Although this hotel is reasonalby pricey, you do get value for money.

• Liked — Rooms, Hotel Decor, Staff, Central Location
  • Disliked — Air conditioning in Ships Tavern very cold.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2008

The Brown Palace used to be one of my favorite hotels—a place where I could count on the rare combination of historic charm and excellent service. A recent weekend visit was marred, from beginning to end, by a series of service problems. I would like to think that we just had a run of bad hotel luck, but the fact that the problems occurred at every juncture in the stay suggests there may be systemic management problems at this hotel. I have never written a negative hotel review before and it pains me to do so about the Brown Palace, but our stay was so completely disappointing that I think it is fair to share the details.

Although no one else was checking in when we arrived, the two desk clerks seemed uninterested in assisting us. Our online request (made through the hotel’s website) for a room on a high floor away from an elevator produced a room on a low floor next to an elevator. There was trash on the bathroom floor. The bathroom sink faucet didn’t just drip—it ran and could not be turned off. However, the sound of running water did help drown out the late-night noise from well-lubricated wedding guests reveling in the atrium. There were burned-out light bulbs in the bathroom and in the bedroom. The batteries in the tv remote control were so low that it was difficult to operate the television. Turn-down service never made an appearance.

Dinner at the Ship Tavern was not pleasant. It was a busy Saturday night; the restaurant was under-staffed and service, though very friendly, was painfully slow. A draft beer had to be returned (after a 10-minute wait), because the keg had not been properly maintained and the beer had spoiled. The food was mediocre and overpriced to the point of what can only be called arrogance.

When we were ready to leave the hotel, valet parking had “misplaced” our car and a 20-minute search, perhaps understandable at a busy time of the day, but not at 5:00 am, was necessary.

Had we complained, some of the problems with the room could have been solved. From my perspective, however, when you stay at an iconic hotel and pay commensurate prices, management’s attention to detail should mean that when you check into your room, it will be clean and free of the types of problems we encountered.

If this had been my first visit to the Brown, I would certainly not return. As I’ve had a number of pleasant visits there in the past, I may give it another chance. However, I do find it worrisome that so many different aspects of service failed to measure up to acceptable standards during our stay. Think carefully before booking a room at this hotel. Its glory days would appear to be part of its glorious past.

• Liked — classic old building
  • Disliked — uniformly poor service
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank fulmar
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2008

The Brown Palace is always an incredible experience. The service is exemplary at all levels, the hotel itself is beautiful and well-kept, the rooms are exquisite and comfortable. This time we availed ourselves of the Spa, which was also a treasured experience. Cocktails at Churchill's is always a delight.
Kudos, as always, to the staff and management of the hotel. Well worth the money.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
sarachasea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2008

I have stayed here the past several years traveling on business for a conference. I love this hotel.

The location is fantastic - walking distance to both the 16th St mall and Denver Convention Center. They also have a concierge car that will take you places downtown for free (for tips). The lobby is quite beautiful, as is pretty much the whole hotel. Due to it's historic nature, I have to say the rooms are smaller than you would expect, especially if you are in a Queen room, but this did not bother me at all. I think they also allow dogs, which I thought was pretty cool.

In response to some of the other review saying they felt they were treated snobbily, I have to disagree. I am a 25 year old female who travels on business fairly often. When I fly, I don't dress up and I look young for my age anyway, so when I check in, I often look like a teenager coming in alone. I have always been treated very well and respectfully by all the employees, just as if I was a middle aged businessman with an expensive suit. I have never felt out of place at the Brown Palace, even though much less expensive hotels have indeed made me feel this way.

The hotel itself is quite expensive -- wireless internet has a daily fee (though they have a free business center), and room service or the restaurants are pricey. For such an expensive place, I kind of think internet should be included, but that's just me. I found the food to be quite good. I also went to the spa, which was also on the pricey side, but was one of the better spa experiences I have ad -- very professional and luxurious.

In general, I find the luxuriousness and especially the location of this hotel to be quite worth the price and I have really enjoyed staying here.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — pretty pricey
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2008

This hotel was a wonderful nights stay. The staff was consistantly attentive and friendly. I felt like I a Queen! The hotel spa was a relaxing retreat. And, again the staff was attentive and friendly. The common areas were always checked and kept in clean tidy order. We had dinner in the Tavern, again - perfection! On Sunday morning they serve a fabulous champagne brunch in Ellington's. It was fit for a King. In closing I would recommend experiencing any portion of what this hotel has to offer - you will not be disappointed. Whether it be just a mani-cure / pedi cure to a full night stay with dinner and breakfast.

• Liked — The friendly and attentive staff
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple