“Classic old school hotel, modern feel”

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #25 of 156 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Ann Arbor, Mi
“Classic old school hotel, modern feel”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

As a committed Marriott rewards member, closing in on 1000 membership nights, we like to mix it up and stay at their upscale brands. This hotel lived up to its 'historic' appeal and was a lot of fun. King room was more like a suite with separate living room.
Bathroom was spacious and modern.
Frankly the people from the Marriott Brand hotels should visit and see how to keep a property updated.
But I digress...
Staff was awesome and knowledgeable. At breakfast, Anton explained the details of the menu and then gave explanation why the Nike Running App doesn't work well in Denver.
A few minor hiccups were resolved quickly.
It comes at a price, but that wasn't a surprise.
Would stay again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Axel S,

Thank you for staying at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa and for your lovely review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the historic nature of the hotel and that our staff was able to help you with the minor hiccups that you encountered. I look forward to sharing your review with our associates.

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Polish first
Rocky River, Ohio
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was lucky to stay at the Brown Palace for a four day conference. The hotel is beautiful and has a large history. They actually do have tours but I wasn't able to attend one to hear more about it. The rooms have updated features including an alarm clock with iPhone 5 interface, rain shower in the bathroom, and a single keurig coffee maker among other things. Pet friendly too! The bedding was extremely soft and the bed very comfortable. We learned after looking for bottled water that they actually have a spring under the hotel which is connected to all the faucets! The conference rooms were some of the best I've experienced both for large groups and smaller groups. It is a bit expensive, but I think they really live up to their pricing. Great location with many delicious restaurants and fun areas within walking distance. I highly recommend adding this hotel to your Denver experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TremontRaven
Highlands Ranch, CO
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our 15th wedding anniversary celebration. What a great hotel! The staff was amazing - from the champagne on arrival to complimentary chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our room for our celebration. My favorite part, however, was the complimentary historic hotel tour. The tour made the hotel even more special!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ComputerMommy,

First and foremost congratulations on your 15th wedding anniversary and thank you for choosing our hotel to make your special day memorable. We are truly grateful to you for your kind words and I look forward to reaching out the historian about your enjoyment of the tour.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Victoria
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We celebrated our 20th anniversary here this past weekend and the service and accommodations were top notch. Friendly, courteous staff. They gave us champagne and strawberries in our room for our special day. Really great, old hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Westcliffe, Colorado
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Downtown Denver seems to be awash in modern, urban-hip hotels, but for me and my three young children, the Brown Palace remains our preferred destination. I've been staying at the Brown for most of my 60-plus years, and never fail to marvel at its architecture, the impeccably clean and well-maintained rooms, the various dining and drink options, and most importantly the professional, friendly and welcoming staff, notably the bellmen, the wait and service staff and the hotel's Town Car driver. (The maître d' at Ellyngtons was unnecessarily condescending and stuck us in a dark corner for our $160 breakfast even though the restaurant was virtually empty; my fault for not asking for another table. And reservations failed to honor an on-line deal for Colorado residents.) In any case, the Brown recaptures Colorado's history, its location is perfect for the downtown museums and sightseeing, and it adheres to a sense of tradition difficult to find in today's world. I know I'll be back, and I trust my three kids will not only remember their visits to the Brown, but will be return guests for decades to come.

Room Tip: The hotel's triangular shape lends itself to multiple room configurations, especially in the cor...
Green Features: Impressed with the hotel's new environmental consciousness and recycling efforts.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Coloradotreker,

Please know that we appreciate your ongoing loyalty to The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa and are proud to be your destination of choice in Denver. I was dismayed to learn of the shortcomings you encountered with our maitre d'. Please be assured that your feedback is most valuable to us and will help ensure that your furture experiences with us, as well as that of all guests, will be enjoyable and memorable.

It will be an honor to welcome you and your family again!

Beverly Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 1 August 2014

What an oasis in an already great city. You can feel the aura of the Old West power brokers. The Atrium, the artisan well drinking fountain in the lobby bringing up the water from 750 feet. You can walk 1 block to the 16th Street Mall free bus which takes you up and down, jumping off and on, 16th street filled with great restaurants, bars, shops. The Hotel also offers a free shuttle within 5 miles for drop off and pick up. Which can include the vibrant Cherry Creek area. The staff is extremely efficient, polite and professional at every position. High Tea or cocktails in the Atrium are a wonderful experience. Breakfast in Ellington's is outstanding. Eggs Benedict with a nice shave of truffle. The formal restaurant, Palace Arms, is exceptional. Classic elegant dining with that Colorado twist. The white glove table side service harkens back to forgotten times. And yet, being in the West, Jeans are acceptable but prepare for New York prices. Have stayed twice this year with the same results. Will go back again next year.

Room Tip: Try for an upgrade, The junior suites are very nice.
Green Features: The current environmentally friendly practices are in place in all areas of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I recently stayed at The Brown Palace Hotel and marveled at this historic building. The hotel first opened in 1892. The building is absolutely incredible. I almost didn't want to go to my room- I wanted to just stand and take the whole building in.

The hotel is situated in a great location- they have a number of restaurants onsite and are within minutes of dozens of others (the 16th Street Mall is about a 5 minute walk away). You really couldn't pick a better location if you are staying in Denver.

The rooms are a little small, but not bad considering the age of the building. The bed was quite comfortable. The minute you walk in, you can tell this is a historic hotel. The good aspect of that is that it has a lot of charm that you don't find in the cookie-cutter hotels that litter the countryside. The downside is that you have to put up with some minor inconveniences. For example, the shower took an absurdly long time to get hot. I had to stand there and wait and wait and wait. There also wasn't a lot of space for my luggage or other belongings. I ended up scattering them around the room. The room itself wasn't the most quiet I have been to- you could hear music playing in the lobby fairly frequently and some of the conversations in the lobby float up as well. The sounds weren't overly problematic, but they were always present.

I did have some meetings in a conference room. The space was a little awkward, but it didn't detract from our meeting at all. The staff were very friendly and ensured we had everything we needed.

Despite a few minor grumblings, I really loved my stay in The Brown Palace. It's a historic, beautiful building and it offers a unique experience. I would absolutely consider returning on a future trip to Denver.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise, ask for a high room to put some space between you and what's happ...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank thegreatone3182
Dear Thegreatone3182,

Thank you for staying at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa. I am delighted that your enjoyed your visit and we are grateful to you for your kind words and suggestions regarding the hotel.

We strive to provide a flawless luxury hotel experience and regret that the shower and noise from the lobby impacted your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for these issues. I will reach out to our engineering department about the shower issues so other guests do not have the same experience.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the furture.