“Like this hotel, but ...”

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #25 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Like this hotel, but ...”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed just one night, following a conference in Beaver Creek. Lovely hotel, and I do appreciate the charm. Like another reviewer, I expected a queen size bed...but it really seemed like a double to us. Window was frosted, so could not see out -- effectively a windowless room. But walking around the outside of the hotel, you'll see only normal clear "see-throughable" glass in the windows of the rooms facing Tremont & 17th streets. They ran some kind of noisy equipment (perhaps a carpet shampooer in the lobby downstairs?) in the wee hours of August 17 (from roughly 2:45 AM until after 3:30 AM), which could be heard throughout the 8-story atrium-type lobby, which prevented sleep up on the 7th floor. I would stay there again, because really I do think they can do better. But I would reject the room I had this time and insist upon a room with a REAL window, and a real queen bed. What did I do to deserve this rather disappointing experience?

Room Tip: Check out your room before you accept it. Make sure it's the bed you reserved and that you can...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jhooverdmd
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Jhooverdmd,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Brown Palace Hotel and Spa.

You indicated in your response that your experience was unsatisfactory. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. I will make sure that I reach out to our room's division manager about your concerns on the bed size and that guests need to be informed of the hotel facade restoration (after 122 years we are replacing the red sandstone) and why the windows are covered.

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The Brown Palace is exactly what you expect from a classic hotel. The staff was helpful and friendly. The hotel had it's charm and the rooms had modern and updated touches. As expected, each room is slightly different, which is not uncommon in an older, uniquely shaped building. My brother's room had a bathtub, while ours had a larger sitting area. The room rates were very reasonable, while some of the other amenities (afternoon tea, brunch, etc) were on the expensive side. Regardless, we were very happy with our stay here.

Room Tip: Each room is slightly unique, so if you want a bathroom, sitting area or anything else particular, b...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Douglas B,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. We know how valuable your time is and greatly appreciate it.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your visit and the unique properties of a historic hotel and I am very grateful for your kind words and comments. We love to exceed the expectations of our guests and your feedback helps us improve.

The Managing Director
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My team and I had meetings at Brown Palace for four days. This is a very unique hotel. I use the term unique in a good way. The hotel is old but is very well kept and the service i fantastic. There are two bars in the hotel (cigar and regular). They have a piano player in the regular bar at times. The food was very good. I really can't say enough for how on top of everything they were at all times. The meeting rooms were large and had great lighting. The hotel is in a great location so we could walk to a lot of restaurants for dinner.

Room Tip: Top floor has great views
Green Features: It was great that they did this as every little bit helps!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear James S,

Thank you for staying at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa. I am delighted to hear that your meeting went well and that our associates were able to provide you with excellent service. I am glad you got to experience the diverse restaurant and bar options that we offer and that you enjoyed the piano. I look forward to sharing your review with our team.

Texas
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Amazing place to stay or just visit. The history and architecture of the place is incredible. Food at the ships tavern was great. I love the nautical theme in the mountains. Room was ok, needs some attention (paint and worn carpet). The service was the best part, what a great attentive staff.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear OleMissTraveler,

We pride ourselves on the friendliness of our staff. Your comments validate our belief that our employees are our greatest asset.

This year you will see many changes at The Brown Palace as we update the rooms, as well as the facade. We are very excited about the new path we are taking and look forward to sharing it with our guests over the coming year.

It would be an honor to welcome you back!

The Managing Director
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here 3 nights traveling with a group of 3 other couples. We found a great rate at an online discount hotel site and used the Marriott price match feature to book the same rate directly through the hotel.
Two in our party got upgraded to bigger (two queen beds) and (one king bed) rooms. We weren't one of the ones that were upgraded but our queen room was pretty, clean and the bed and pillows were wonderful. The marble bathroom was beautiful and we appreciated the option to use the rain shower. The first night we were missing a bath mat, we used a few hand towels (there were plenty) and the next day we had a bath mat.
We ate breakfast at the hotel once, the service was friendly and portions were huge.
The drinks at the hotel bar were well made and reasonably priced for a hotel bar. Again, the service was friendly and helpful. The real service plus were the valet guys. They were fantastic. Always giving us great directions, making recommendations and our two rental cars never took very long to retrieve. The coffee shop just outside the lobby was great to have so close.

Room Tip: if you want a quiet room you must specify, there is an atrium where they play piano, have a band and...
Green Features: Pretty typical of any hotel as far as bathroom towels. What is neat is the hotel gets all their water from a well under the hotel, as it has for 90+ years.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank theedge73
Edina, mn
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Enjoyed the spa at the hotel, but the room was really overpriced for the size. We were told we had a queen room, but it was obviously a double. Do enjoy the afternoon tea. Very similar to a tea experience in London.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Keena H
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Keena H,

Although I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay overall, I do regret that you were disappointed with the pricing and your room size. Yesterday we celebrated our 122nd birthday and one of the things a historic hotel has to compete with is the size of modern hotel rooms. I understand your disappointment and I am truly sorry that you were inconvenienced by this issue and that your stay was impacted. I am thrilled that you enjoyed tea and that it was comparable to one in London. I look forward to sharing that would our lobby staff.

South Glens Falls, New York
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I loved the interior of this hotel. Everything from the carpet to the beautiful detailed woodwork and iron. Desk clerk Elizabeth was cheerful and friendly. Beds comfortable, bathroom nice. Exterior windows were very dirty. Room service on time and courteous. Central location.

• Stayed August 2014