“A grand and sophisticated environment where you are treated like someone special.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #26 of 154 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Albuquerque
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

This was our first stay at the Brown Palace and we went for a romantic stay in downtown Denver. The Brown Palace treated us very well and the atmosphere is nothing short of old world sophistication and luxury. Our room was spacious and staff were very pleasant and attentive to our questions and requests. The food and service in their restaurant's were outstanding. This will be our new home whenever we visit Denver from now on. We very much look forward to our next visit at the Brown Palace where everyone is treated like royalty.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

I go through Denver frequently on business travel and recently booked in at the Brown Palace. It's a wonderous place that has the feel of an end of 19th century hotel with modern amenities. Every detail attended to. Our room was large, with huge bath and contemporary glass shower. The room had plenty of closet and drawer space, which is frequently a problem in older, remodeled hotels. For more see the blog post I wrote: http://www.thetraveltweeter.com/2009/07/browns-palace-hotel-presidential.html

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

I stayed at the Brown Palace for two nights. My stay got off to a bad start when my key card wouldn't work. Eventually my neighbor noticed my struggles and told me she had had the same problem. They key cards were mislabled and only worked if you inserted them in the opposite way indicated. No one at the front desk bothered to mention this at check in.

Although the bathroom was renovated, the shower only produced lukewarm water on all three occasions on which I used it. The showers have two shower heads -- one is the rainfall style shower head and this was very low flow. The other was an adjustable head that wouldn't stay in place. Nothing four star or four diamond about that.

On my first day there I left my room around 10:00 am and came back at 4:30 pm. The room had not been cleaned. The front desk didn't seem to be disturbed too much by this; they attributed it to the hotel being fully booked. I guess that was a tacit admission that the hotel is not properly staffed. The result was having to delay geeting ready for going out at night so that the housekeeper could clean the room. Again, nothing four star about that. The front desk didn't even offer some sort of compensation. At a real four star hotel like the Four Seasons, that type of service would never happen.

Given that this is a historic hotel, I didn't expect contemporary decoration by any means, but the decoration as it is comes off as way too old fashioned and stuffy when compared to other historic hotels I've stayed at.

The room size was adequate. It had some chipped paint but nothing major was wrong with it. The linens on the bed are see-through. Not very good quality.

Don't believe the billing this place gives itself. If you are looking for luxury, you should look elsewhere. You can probably find better accomodations and an even better location.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank EstesKrenshaw
SSSDDD, Director of Front Office Operations at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 6 August 2009
Dear EstesKrenshaw,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share your experience as a guest of The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa. I am dismayed to learn that your stay was so lacking in comfort, service, and amenities. We pride ourselves in offering lavish accommodations, exceeded only by our anticipatory service. Clearly, we fell short of offering these to you, and for that, I offer my sincere apology. In response to your experience, we will be auditing the temperature of water that is offered into our guestrooms, and I assure you that corrective measures will be taken if necessary, so that we are able to provide a comfortable shower to our guests. With regard to the lack of empathy that you encountered when you so graciously communicated the issues with our front desk staff, I offer my apology. Our guests are our only priority, and we have an unparalleled commitment to exceeding your expectations. I would be grateful for any opportunity to communicate with you directly, so that I might learn additional details regarding your stay. I would also like to extend a personal apology to you, and to possibly gain the opportunity to welcome you back to The Brown Palace in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Stacy Tierney
Director-Front Office Operations
Denver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2009

We live in Denver and thought it would be neat to stay in the icon Brown Palace for our honeymoon, we were wrong. The room was really outdated, and for a suite compared to a discount chain. The air conditioning didn't work. So at this point we were just disappointed, then we ordered room service. They said it would be up in twenty minutes, twenty five minutes we called to ask where our food was, my husband was rudely treated, the lady snapped "I told you a half hour" and hung up on us. When the food finally came the waitress told us she heard both phone calls and we were told twenty minutes, not thirty and that we shouldn't be treated that way and the lady was rude and wrong. On top of that my eggs were overcooked. Some way for a "world class" hotel to treat its patrons. I left the hotel crying!

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
SSSDDD, Director of In-Room Dining at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 5 August 2009
Dear Zippyed,

I am deeply regretful of your experience. We make every effort to ensure that our patrons enjoy a positive in-room dining experience and I am very disappointed to hear that we did not meet that expectation during your stay. I assure you that this is not typical of The Brown Palace Hotel’s Four-Star, Four-Diamond standards and thank you for providing your feedback so we may address and improve upon the service you received. Again, my sincerest apologies.

Jeremy Friedman
Director of In-Room Dining
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

I'm very perplexed at reading the review from the folks from "Down Under" dated 7/26 because I was at the Brown palace at the same time and experienced none of the problems they describe. First of all, I did book directly with the hotel after receiving my weekly bargain email from Travelzoo. In my opinion, anyone who does NOT book directly with the hotel puts their trip in the hands of a third party. So if I may be so bold, that was mistake #1. My room was on the 6th floor and a "split corner" room - translation "tiny". But hey, I knew that going in - I got a bargain rate. In the end, I got what I expected. Here's the rest of the story.

THE ROOM - The bed was a true queen as requested (not something less as suggested by my Aussie friends). It was comfortable and clean. I am picky about the bed - I need a good night sleep, and this one gave it to me. The linen was fresh, white and clean. Certainly no burnt spots. The shower (no bath tub) had a single head that sprayed water of the temperature I desired when I desired it. The water pressure could have been higher but it was not a drizzle. The bathroom linen was plush, plentiful and spotless. Indeed, the entire room was immaculate. I've really never been in a cleaner hotel room - which leads me to the next topic.

THE PEOPLE - Since they are seldom mentioned first, I'd like to comment on the maid service. Every time I saw a maid in the hotel, they were friendly and attentive - helping a first timer at their hotel find his way. What I found interesting is that I had the same maid for the 3 days and 2 nights I was there. And she came twice a day, once about 8:00 AM and then about 5 PM. There was a time (in the AM) that I was not ready for her. I asked her to come back later and she did - with the same high quality of cleanliness as if I was on her schedule. Another person who sticks out was the lobby pianist the evening of Friday, 7/24. The lobby pianists I saw at the Brown Palace were average to very good - except this guy - he was fabulous! I wish I'd have got his name, but he was a thin fellow, and (forgive the ethnic references, but I find it necessary) seemed to be middle eastern or possibly Indian. Anyway, this guy had a full repertoire of pop, jazz, and classical. Time and again, when done with a particular offering people within earshot would applaud loudly. By the way, the only food I ate at the Brown Palace was in the lobby. I had the chorizo mussels and the cheese selection. Both were wonderful. Next time, I'll eat in a restaurant - I'll let you know. To continue with people - everyone I encountered at the Brown Palace was friendly and professional. Emphasis on friendly - which makes them exceptional.

THE ISSUES - Only one. I absolutely HATE valet parking, and that's the only kind available at the Brown Palace. If you have a car, be prepared for the typical wait and confusion that valet parking provides.

THE UPSIDE - A comfortable stay in a fabulous location (even my friends the Aussies gave the place 5 stars on that!). I'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank JerryPPhoenix
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

We booked this hotel in January, via Expedia requesting a king bed room and paying top price.
After being shown our room, a tiny room with a small “queen” size bed, contacted the front desk. We were told that "as we booked through Expedia, there are no guarantees, and there are no king bed rooms available, as we should have booked direct, then we would have been given what we requested”.
There was no room to get between the bed and the dresser so basically my knees and feet were in constant contact with it and the bed posts. There were burned-out light bulbs in the room and holes in the pillow case.
In the bathroom there were 2 shower heads, one hot from the wall, and the other cold on the ceiling. Unfortunately they were apart far enough that you either had a very slow hot shower or a cold one, could not mix the two. The cold water tap in the sink, especially in the evenings, run hot, stopping us even from being able to have a cool drink or being able to brush our teeth in cool water.
We asked the front desk twice to fix the problems in the bathroom, but, nothing happened. Lucky for us, our booking was for 2 nights only, otherwise we would have to consider moving to a different hotel, even taking into consideration losing our money. After our departure, contacted the hotel via email but, as of now, 11 days later, no reply. Obviously our business was not important to them.
The complete and utter disregard for the customer's convenience & happiness from the employees of this hotel is unbelievable. If you are thinking of staying at the Brown Palace, think hard about it, don’t book via Expedia and above all, consider other options first. There are plenty of nice hotels in Denver, hopefully with a much better customer care policy than this one.

2 Thank nanof2
Dear nanof2,

Thank you for sharing the details of your recent stay at The Brown Palace. We are grateful that you chose to book your reservation with our partner, Expedia. Our standards of service are that we offer the same level of personalized service to all guests, regardless of method of booking. I regret that this service was not extended to you, and that you were advised that we could not “guarantee” a room type. I also regret that we were not able, to offer you the room type that you had requested of us. I will be reviewing with our staff, the importance of meeting and exceeding our guests’ needs. It seems that you encountered deficiencies in your room, and I apologize that we did not remedy them in a timely manner. Your comfort and satisfaction is of paramount concern to us.

We have recently completed another phase of our property wide, 8 million dollar bathroom renovation. The dual showerheads are equipped to offer hot and cold water, simultaneously, for the comfort of our guests. In response to your feedback, we will be bringing the renovation specialists to our property to inspect each room for water temperature. Any deviation from perfect water control will be immediately rectified.

I am most concerned that you have contacted the hotel, and that we have been unresponsive. I personally respond to all guest correspondence, and have not received any email correspondence related to your stay. I would be very grateful if you would consider contacting me directly, so that I may apologize to you personally, and invite you to return.

Kind Regards,

Stacy Tierney
Director-Front Office Operations
Denver, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

Just stayed July 19th. Took advantage of a special for a weekend stay at $100 with 2 for 1 at the Palace Arms restaurant. I am extremely happy that we did. Good: The room (on the 9th floor) was huge, surprising for a historic hotel. Incredible bathroom with oversized soaking tub, glass-walled shower, granite, etc. Beds that my wife loved. Siiting vanity area in it's own alcove, large flat screen, fridge, and multiple windows on downtown Denver with old-style window shades. The REAL good: Ate at the Palace Arms and it was one of the best meals that I have had, period. I have eaten at the French Laundry multiple times, Trotter's, and lots of other highly rated establishements. This is one of the best meals that I have had in the past 5 years. The executive chef came out to speak with us 4 separate times, as he did with everybody else in the small dining room. If you are into food this place cannot be missed. Bad: They screwed up our reservations and gave us a 2 QN room instead of the king that I reserved. Also, the window shades are not black-out and you will know when the sun comes up, and readily. Also, ate in the Ship Tavern on our check out day and had a 'not great' experience - screwed up my burger, never checked up on our food after delivered, waitress left to go home and did not tell us, etc. However, food was failrly good and service was very friendly and capable, so foirgiveable. Summary: Will definitely come to eat at the Palace Arms again - that is a moral imperative. Would stay at the hotel again if they offer the special as we are local (my corp offices are two blocks from the hotel).

2 Thank dhellis