“Fabulous place to stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Home
“Fabulous place to stay”
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Will stay their again location close to shopping, we were treated like a king and queen

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Polish first
Frisco
Reviewed 4 August 2009

This is a great hotel with a wonderful staff. Beautiful rooms. Wish I had more time on the trip to have stayed longer in the amenities in the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Albuquerque
Reviewed 4 August 2009

This was our first stay at the Brown Palace and we went for a romantic stay in downtown Denver. The Brown Palace treated us very well and the atmosphere is nothing short of old world sophistication and luxury. Our room was spacious and staff were very pleasant and attentive to our questions and requests. The food and service in their restaurant's were outstanding. This will be our new home whenever we visit Denver from now on. We very much look forward to our next visit at the Brown Palace where everyone is treated like royalty.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2009

I go through Denver frequently on business travel and recently booked in at the Brown Palace. It's a wonderous place that has the feel of an end of 19th century hotel with modern amenities. Every detail attended to. Our room was large, with huge bath and contemporary glass shower. The room had plenty of closet and drawer space, which is frequently a problem in older, remodeled hotels. For more see the blog post I wrote: http://www.thetraveltweeter.com/2009/07/browns-palace-hotel-presidential.html

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Missouri
Reviewed 3 August 2009

I stayed at the Brown Palace for two nights. My stay got off to a bad start when my key card wouldn't work. Eventually my neighbor noticed my struggles and told me she had had the same problem. They key cards were mislabled and only worked if you inserted them in the opposite way indicated. No one at the front desk bothered to mention this at check in.

Although the bathroom was renovated, the shower only produced lukewarm water on all three occasions on which I used it. The showers have two shower heads -- one is the rainfall style shower head and this was very low flow. The other was an adjustable head that wouldn't stay in place. Nothing four star or four diamond about that.

On my first day there I left my room around 10:00 am and came back at 4:30 pm. The room had not been cleaned. The front desk didn't seem to be disturbed too much by this; they attributed it to the hotel being fully booked. I guess that was a tacit admission that the hotel is not properly staffed. The result was having to delay geeting ready for going out at night so that the housekeeper could clean the room. Again, nothing four star about that. The front desk didn't even offer some sort of compensation. At a real four star hotel like the Four Seasons, that type of service would never happen.

Given that this is a historic hotel, I didn't expect contemporary decoration by any means, but the decoration as it is comes off as way too old fashioned and stuffy when compared to other historic hotels I've stayed at.

The room size was adequate. It had some chipped paint but nothing major was wrong with it. The linens on the bed are see-through. Not very good quality.

Don't believe the billing this place gives itself. If you are looking for luxury, you should look elsewhere. You can probably find better accomodations and an even better location.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EstesKrenshaw
SSSDDD, Director of Front Office Operations at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 6 August 2009
Dear EstesKrenshaw,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share your experience as a guest of The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa. I am dismayed to learn that your stay was so lacking in comfort, service, and amenities. We pride ourselves in offering lavish accommodations, exceeded only by our anticipatory service. Clearly, we fell short of offering these to you, and for that, I offer my sincere apology. In response to your experience, we will be auditing the temperature of water that is offered into our guestrooms, and I assure you that corrective measures will be taken if necessary, so that we are able to provide a comfortable shower to our guests. With regard to the lack of empathy that you encountered when you so graciously communicated the issues with our front desk staff, I offer my apology. Our guests are our only priority, and we have an unparalleled commitment to exceeding your expectations. I would be grateful for any opportunity to communicate with you directly, so that I might learn additional details regarding your stay. I would also like to extend a personal apology to you, and to possibly gain the opportunity to welcome you back to The Brown Palace in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Stacy Tierney
Director-Front Office Operations
Denver
Reviewed 29 July 2009

We live in Denver and thought it would be neat to stay in the icon Brown Palace for our honeymoon, we were wrong. The room was really outdated, and for a suite compared to a discount chain. The air conditioning didn't work. So at this point we were just disappointed, then we ordered room service. They said it would be up in twenty minutes, twenty five minutes we called to ask where our food was, my husband was rudely treated, the lady snapped "I told you a half hour" and hung up on us. When the food finally came the waitress told us she heard both phone calls and we were told twenty minutes, not thirty and that we shouldn't be treated that way and the lady was rude and wrong. On top of that my eggs were overcooked. Some way for a "world class" hotel to treat its patrons. I left the hotel crying!

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
SSSDDD, Director of In-Room Dining at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 5 August 2009
Dear Zippyed,

I am deeply regretful of your experience. We make every effort to ensure that our patrons enjoy a positive in-room dining experience and I am very disappointed to hear that we did not meet that expectation during your stay. I assure you that this is not typical of The Brown Palace Hotel’s Four-Star, Four-Diamond standards and thank you for providing your feedback so we may address and improve upon the service you received. Again, my sincerest apologies.

Jeremy Friedman
Director of In-Room Dining
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 27 July 2009

I'm very perplexed at reading the review from the folks from "Down Under" dated 7/26 because I was at the Brown palace at the same time and experienced none of the problems they describe. First of all, I did book directly with the hotel after receiving my weekly bargain email from Travelzoo. In my opinion, anyone who does NOT book directly with the hotel puts their trip in the hands of a third party. So if I may be so bold, that was mistake #1. My room was on the 6th floor and a "split corner" room - translation "tiny". But hey, I knew that going in - I got a bargain rate. In the end, I got what I expected. Here's the rest of the story.

THE ROOM - The bed was a true queen as requested (not something less as suggested by my Aussie friends). It was comfortable and clean. I am picky about the bed - I need a good night sleep, and this one gave it to me. The linen was fresh, white and clean. Certainly no burnt spots. The shower (no bath tub) had a single head that sprayed water of the temperature I desired when I desired it. The water pressure could have been higher but it was not a drizzle. The bathroom linen was plush, plentiful and spotless. Indeed, the entire room was immaculate. I've really never been in a cleaner hotel room - which leads me to the next topic.

THE PEOPLE - Since they are seldom mentioned first, I'd like to comment on the maid service. Every time I saw a maid in the hotel, they were friendly and attentive - helping a first timer at their hotel find his way. What I found interesting is that I had the same maid for the 3 days and 2 nights I was there. And she came twice a day, once about 8:00 AM and then about 5 PM. There was a time (in the AM) that I was not ready for her. I asked her to come back later and she did - with the same high quality of cleanliness as if I was on her schedule. Another person who sticks out was the lobby pianist the evening of Friday, 7/24. The lobby pianists I saw at the Brown Palace were average to very good - except this guy - he was fabulous! I wish I'd have got his name, but he was a thin fellow, and (forgive the ethnic references, but I find it necessary) seemed to be middle eastern or possibly Indian. Anyway, this guy had a full repertoire of pop, jazz, and classical. Time and again, when done with a particular offering people within earshot would applaud loudly. By the way, the only food I ate at the Brown Palace was in the lobby. I had the chorizo mussels and the cheese selection. Both were wonderful. Next time, I'll eat in a restaurant - I'll let you know. To continue with people - everyone I encountered at the Brown Palace was friendly and professional. Emphasis on friendly - which makes them exceptional.

THE ISSUES - Only one. I absolutely HATE valet parking, and that's the only kind available at the Brown Palace. If you have a car, be prepared for the typical wait and confusion that valet parking provides.

THE UPSIDE - A comfortable stay in a fabulous location (even my friends the Aussies gave the place 5 stars on that!). I'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo