“A Pleasant Trip back in Time”

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #23 of 160 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 January 2010

Our company meeting was booked this year at the Brown Palace. Actually it is, despite it's age, a wonderful hotel. Room was spacious, clean and up to date. Meeting areas were very pleasant and there were enough of them so that each event was able to be held in a proper-sized venue. The location and access to the 16th St Mall was great. The only downside was the breakfasts--so-so food and slow service. Overall though, I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,810)

Reviewed 25 January 2010

Charm of a historic old hotel - yet with all the modern amenities one would expect.

Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 January 2010

Let me start with the bad parts.

My one serious bone to pick with the hotel/reservations management is their participation, or lack thereof, in the I Prefer loyalty program. The enrollment email I received says "As an I Prefer Member, you will receive...Room upgrade, when available." Of course, I inquired about this upon checking in. I'd reserved a queen size room and was hoping for an upgrade to a king room if one was available. The response I got from the front desk person is, "We don't do that at this property." I said, "Well, the I Prefer email I received says that I Prefer members receive an upgrade if one is available." She went into the back and came out a minute later and said, "I spoke with our reservations manager, and they said we don't do that here but we can do it this once as a courtesy." Excuse Me? Look, I didn't pick this hotel because of its loyalty program. I picked it because it looked like a nice place. If you want to be an independent hotel, then be an independent hotel. But don't voluntarily participate in a loyalty program (whose purpose, I might add, is to attract loyal customers through incentives), and then act like I'm imposing on you for asking about the upgrade. If it bothers you that much to give the upgrade, then the least you could do is lie about it and tell me there aren't any available.

One other note, before I get to the good parts...the Tavern restaurant is positively mediocre. The day I arrived, I stopped in for lunch and ordered a shrimp salad sandwich. Oh. My. God. This was supposed to be an open faced sandwich with some shrimp salad on it. I swear it must have had an entire pound of shrimp salad on it. It was ghastly. This was just a really uncomfortably large sandwich. My first reaction was to scoop off about two thirds of a pound of the shrimp mush, which sat in a big, unsightly heap on the side of my plate. The shrimp salad, I might add, was the most unbelievably tasteless thing I've ever eaten. I've had Gerber baby food with more flavor. I went back for dinner that evening with my coworkers and didn't have a particularly redeeming experience. The wine list was also seriously sub-par for an establishment like this.

Now the good parts. Service, other than my surly and misinformed check-in person, was pretty impeccable. There was someone a room or two over from me who was smoking in their room and the hotel staff dealt with it promptly and professionally. The rooms were very nice. The bathrooms are a bit small but that's just how these old hotels are. Location is great. The room was very well priced.

Overall, yes, I'd recommend this property. The beds are all VERY hard (my coworkers noted this as well). But don't try to avail yourself of any I Prefer benefits and stay away from the Tavern.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank AlphaFlyer
BrownPalaceHotel, Director of Revenue Management at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2010

Dear AlphaFlyer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you received exceptional hospitality as we take great pride in delivering incomparable service to our guests. However, we sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced regarding IPrefer member benefits. We do offer complimentary upgrades to the next room level based on availability and give priority early check-in and late check-out, as well as all other benefits that are part of the IPrefer program. There was clearly a miscommunication on our part at the time of your stay and we apologize for any inconvenience bestowed upon you. Regarding your dining experience, I have passed along your comments to our Chef and am sorry that you did not enjoy Ship Tavern. We have six dining venues to choose from, ranging from brunch and afternoon tea to fine dining and spirits & cigars and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back so that you may try an alternative restaurant that may be more to your liking. Again, we truly appreciate you sharing your experience.

Kind Regards,

Marre Brantner
Director of Revenue Management

Reviewed 15 January 2010

The room, the services, and the spa package were first rate. I travel a great deal and have never experienced the high calibre of service and comfort that I experienced during my week's stay at Brown Palace. I treated myself to a Spa Package of a massage and facial. The spa has a very relaxing atmosphere and the massage and facial were wonderful!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 January 2010

My husband and I planned a little getaway for the first weekend in December, which we couldn't make due to picking corn and winter storm that moved through our area (we live 6 hours from Denver.) We had reservations for the Brown Palace, which I can say you guys were amazing in helping us reschedule our stay!! Thank you so much for understanding our situation. We rescheduled for the New Year holiday weekend, this place is beautiful during the holidays. From the moment we pulled up to the hotel, everyone was so helpful and pleasant. Check in was a breeze, although when they offer to have someone show you to your room, do take them up on their offer....we had troubles finding our room!! When I had called to make a reservation, they had upgraded us to a junior suite, which is a sitting area with a TV and then your seperate bedroom with another TV. It was very nice and I will admit my husband and I were worried that we would have alot of noise, as we were right next to the elevator and facing the atrium, but we didn't hear anything. We had a wonderful rose petal turndown and champagne and strawberries waiting for us when we returned from going downtown. The bed was super comfortable and the sheets are awesome (I wanted to take them home!). The bathroom was very large with a large shower and two vanity sink with lots of light..very nice!! The next morning both of us were to lazy to go for breakfast, so we ordered room service which came within in twenty minutes, what a fabulous breakfast. We had also scheduled a couples massage in the spa that morning, so we checked out and the hotel stored our bags for us until we were done and then even kept them while we walked downtown for some shopping. The spa was awesome and we highly recommend the couples massage. This hotel tops it all and we will be back ! Thank you Brown Palace for making our stay very special!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2010

A dear friend knew that I needed some pampering and sent me to the Brown Palace Spa. It was a cold December day, and I was overwhelmed with holiday and year end chores. Within 5 minutes of arriving, I had put my cares away and relaxed in the comforting and relaxing confines of the spa. I had a wonderful facial, which included a head, hand and foot massage. One of the best facials I've ever had. Afterward, I relaxed in the sauna and then spent a bit just reading and relaxing. A very lovely way to escape the holiday craziness!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 January 2010

We went to the Brown Palace for my husbands birthday in December and it was amazing! There is a great afternoon tea,beautiful rooms, friendly staff and gorgeous decor! We had fun listening to the piano,drank and had a cigar in the bar and enjoyed dinner in the Ships Tavern. We will % be back and wiould recommend anyone to go!! There is a tour you can have of the hotel or just kick back and enjoy the spa. We had an 80 min. couples masssge and they have a beautiful spa!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple