“I hope I don't have to go back...should've went to the Hyatt”

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #25 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle, Washington
“I hope I don't have to go back...should've went to the Hyatt”
Reviewed 1 August 2010

I had group reservations at this hotel and was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, before I ever opened my room door I could smell something foul. When I entered the room, the smell got stronger and I realized it was in the bathroom. It smelled like sewage gas so I called the front desk. The maintenance guy said it was just an air pump that wasn't working. I came back several hours later--smell still there. I tried wrapping the toilet in towels, spraying perfume, running the shower with an unlighted candle in the bathroom and putting bath gel in a sink full of water to mask the smell. The next day, the smell was still there and I asked for a new room and was told the hotel was full and housekeeping would be sent up. The manager was very snippy with me. The housekeeping person was very nice and shocked at the smell in the bathroom. She called another maintenance person and he couldn't figure out what was wrong; he was nice but was unable to solve the problem. I was finally given another room at my second request and that room had a bathroom that smelled strongly like fresh paint (I wasn't about to complain after the sewage gas smell) & the tub leaked on much of the bathroom floor. The building itself is beautiful, but the service is not up to par--if someone's room smells as bad as mine did--not fixing the problem or finding another room IMMEDIATELY is completely unacceptable for a hotel that charges as much as the Brown Palace. That smell was absolutely disgusting. Front desk staff is inconsistent in service & after asking for a discount due to the smell & having to move, etc. I was give $30 off --pretty lame.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
BrownPalaceHotel, Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 10 August 2010
Dear caphillgrl,

We sincerely apologize for your experience and regret not initially being able to accommodate your request for another room due to our capacity. I assure you that the particular situation you encountered is highly uncommon and was due to a failed vent that has been fixed. Additionally, the bathrooms were not yet renovated and will soon feature dual showerheads, granite countertops and beautiful marble tile as part of an $8 million renovation. We truly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to experience these luxurious updates and enjoy the high quality four-star, four-diamond accommodations we pride ourselves in.

Philip Madrid
Director of Engineering

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Polish first
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 27 July 2010

My husband and I spent four wonderful nights recently at The Brown. The property is gorgeous. Sometimes older hotels can be noisy with poor sound insulation, but that was not the case at The Brown. The room was extremely quiet with no street noise or adjacent room noise. Muffled noise from the hall could be heard if you stood next to the exterior door, but it was not audible from the sleeping area. The bed and bedding were great as well. The bed is made up with feather pillows and comforter. If you need down alternative bedding, it will be switched out promptly. The bathroom has been updated with a large walk in shower. Great water pressure and soft water from their own artesian well. We liked having a coffee maker in the room, so we could have a cup of coffee while we were getting dressed. The entire staff was accomodating and friendly. Location is convenient to everything in downtown. We mostly left our car in the garage and either walked, took the free 16th Street shuttle or used the hotel courtesy car service. We ate at The Ships Tavern and it was very good. Also, the spa services are excellent and reasonably priced.

Longmont
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We went to Brown Palace for a local weekend getaway. We loved the old European, antique style. The staff and service was excellent and our couple's massage was great. A beautiful hotel and a great time.

Durango, Colorado
Reviewed 23 July 2010

We recently stayed the night at The Brown Palace to take advantage of their King Tut package. What a great value! From the moment you step up to the hotel, you are greeted warmly, graciously, you are made to feel special. They had our room ready early for us, the concierge was extremely helpful, as was the front desk staff. The location of the hotel is great- we were within walking distance of the Denver Art Museum (King Tut Exhibit), the 16th street mall, and only 22 miles from Denver International Airport. There is so much history at The Brown Palace, yet it feels fresh and has all of the latest amenities. When we travel, this hotel is the standard that all the other hotels have to measure up to!

Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 23 July 2010

Not only is the Brown Palace a great historical Place, but the service and accomodations are wonderful. My room was so comfortable and homey, I did not want to go to business meetings, just stay in the comfy bed. I am so sorry I did not get to take advantage of the "high Tea' in the afternoon. It looked so regal and the music was soothing.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Avignon, France
Reviewed 13 July 2010

1. Room safe was placed on the floor of a closet into which one has to crawl like a lizard in order to use it;
2. Coffee maker provided with coffee doses of wrong size and no place to plug it in;
3. Hotel operator called twice when I was in the shower to say that housekeeping wanted to deliver laundry but there was a "do not disturb" sign on my door!
4. Restaurant hours are short and inflexible;
5. The Ship's Tavern restaurant had grandiloquent descriptions of food choices, which only exaggerated further the mediocrity of the food.
6. Reception and concierge staff were invariably pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
BrownPalaceHotel, Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 26 August 2010
Dear Davthor,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am glad you found our reception and concierge staff pleasant and helpful and sincerely apologize for your aforementioned disappointments. If I may address a few of your concerns. I am regretful you found Ship Tavern to be mediocre as it is a local favorite known for the region’s best prime rib and lively piano entertainment, but we are we are proud to offer our guests six unique dining experiences. Our restaurant hours range from 6 a.m. to 11:30 p.m., consisting of three restaurants serving lunch and dinner, one serving breakfast and Sunday champagne brunch, traditional afternoon tea daily, a coffee shop offering beverages and pastries, and 24-hour room service. Concerning the call you received for laundry delivery – we make every effort to ensure delivery of dry cleaning by the time you have requested so as not to inconvenience you and we are not able to do so if there is a “do not disturb” sign on your door. I am very sorry if you found our attempts to deliver to be unsatisfactory. Again, thank you for sharing your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Hotel Management
Florida
Reviewed 1 July 2010

I stayed here for 5 nights. It's ok. It is clean, and the pianist is a nice touch. But the charges for everything are unreasonable. I found out on the 5th night of my stay that the wireless code that is suppose to only work in the lobby, works in my room. I'm actually using it now. I called to complain, because I feel as if I was deceived. The manager was rude, and talked down to me. I think he could have at least offered to comp 50% of the charges. That would have made me feel better.

I wish I had figured this out the first night I was here, and I could have saved money. They charge $9/day. I have a very demanding job that requires me to stay "on the grid". It's hard for me to concentrate in a lobby.

Get the code the first night, and save your money.

I'll be back to Denver, but not this hotel.

Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
BrownPalaceHotel, Front Office Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 12 July 2010
Dear FloridaNASAgirl,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We make every effort to provide our business travelers with exceptional amenities including a 24-hour business center, complimentary Mercedes, on-site concierge and five distinct restaurants ranging from a casual pub to contemporary fine dining. Additionally, we perform ongoing research to offer competitive internet rates with several other luxury hotels in the area and apologize for your disappointment. After viewing your experience, we are currently in the process of updating our system for complimentary access in the lobby and assure you that this has been resolved. We sincerely apologize for any confusion or inconvenience that may have occurred and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Ryan Pratt