“Not just a place to sleep, but an amazing experience as well”
Review of The Oxford Hotel

The Oxford Hotel
Ranked #4 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Bellevue, Washington
“Not just a place to sleep, but an amazing experience as well”
Reviewed 14 May 2011

As soon as we walked into the Oxford, I knew we were going to love it. The hotel was immaculate, perfectly appointed, and just gorgeous. The staff were professional, friendly, and peppered in some humor which I always appreciate.

When we walked into the room, it felt like I'd gone back in time. It was perfect down to the last detail including the fixtures, flooring, fabrics, everything. It had lush, long robes and very nice toiletries too. I walked each floor of the hotel looking at all of the amazing antiques. There were two pieces I found that I would've loved to take home!

For convenience, they have a town car that will take you anywhere you want to go around downtown (2-mile radius) and they are one block from the 16th Street Mall free shuttle service.

The only negative was the $28 / day parking fee. It's cheaper to leave your car on the street overnight and get a $25 ticket than it is to park with the hotel (plus valet tip). That is not surprising for a downtown hotel, but still a bitter pill.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IleneJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed 28 April 2011

My sister and I stayed in the Oxford Hotel for one night while passing through Denver and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The Hotel has been recently renovated with careful consideration to its history. We came from the East Coast and were immediately struck by its western feel emphasized by the wonderful artwork covering its walls. It is worth a visit just to look at the art alone!

The staff was extremely welcoming and answered all of our questions about where to have dinner (The Big Game), how to find the Civic Center area and what would be a good early morning walk route (through the greenway around the S. Platt.) The location is excellent, right off the 16th Street walking area and in the middle of the historic area referred to as LoDo (lower downtown Denver).

The Hotel offers some unique service such as a Town Car to take you anywhere within a two mile radius for free and valet parking for no charge. We didn't need the Town Car because we found walking to be so interesting in the area that we preferred to be on foot. It also has a spa attached to it, but we just didn't have time to try it out although we did see some guests in their robes heading there.

If you are looking for a Hotel with character, antiques in every room and a lot of history, this is a good choice. It's not a sleek, chrome and glass spot, and that's what we loved about it.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank ADVENTURESOME51
Carbondale, Colorado
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I stay here when I come down for business or Avalanche games. It's location in LODO is ideal. Historically decorated yet very comfortable, it is a step back to a grander time. You can't beat the staff. They have become friends.

Room Tip: McCormacks Bar and Seafood Grill
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sloowis
Liverpool
Reviewed 7 April 2011

This was a magical stay at a superb hotel.
Staff were SO friendly and couldn't do enough for us.
Great location with so many facilities so close by
A little bit of England transposed to Colorado.
We were unfortunately only there for one night but will certainly stay again
MarkR

Room Tip: Prove it's your birthday with your passport
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nefyn
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 15 March 2011

We live just west of Denver, but will occasionally get a hotel room downtown before or after some large event (a "staycation" of sorts.) So the night before the Denver St. Patrick's Day parade, we checked into the Oxford Hotel. This place never disappoints!

I use a large power wheelchair, so staying in boutique hotels or historic hotels can sometimes be a problem. They are often exempt from the ADA laws regarding public access. The Oxford, however, doesn't use its historic status to get around providing good access. We stayed in a room on the second floor that was listed as an accessible room with two queens. The elevators were big enough to get my wheelchair in without difficulty, the hallways were wide, and the room was big enough to manage (although not much space to spare.) I don't think getting past the first bed to the second one would have been possible in my power chair, but for me that's not an issue. The bathroom is large and easy to maneuver in. The stool had grab bars and there was a huge roll-in shower but I had no occasion to use it this time since she were only there for one night.

The lobby is beautiful, with a big fireplace on one wall and large leather chairs and other antique furniture that invite guests to sit down and relax. The service is impeccable and everything about the hotel exudes history and luxury. They have a fabulous bar called the Cruise Room that serves great martinis. It is long and narrow, however, so it's hard to get through in a wheelchair if it's crowded. Also on-site is McCormick's Fish House, with a great happy hour and wonderful food. I saw something about spa services on the hotel's website but I've never tried them. I wouldn't hesitate to do so, though, especially if they're the same caliber as all of their other amenities.

Finally, it is the location of this hotel that is icing on the cake. In Denver's Lodo (Lower Downtown) district, it is within walking distance of Union Station, Coors Field, the 16th St. Mall, and more bars and restaurants than you could visit in a year.

I would recommend this hotel to just about anybody.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank WheelchairWanderlust
Timeless09, Director of Operations at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments and taking the time to share them with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your last stay at The Oxford.. Our Spa and Salon is of the same caliber as the hotel and you will not be disappointed when experiencing it next time you are here. We look forward to having you back again in the future.
Louisville, Colorado
Reviewed 4 March 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Oxford for my birthday, and we couldn't have picked a better hotel! It had so much character, and the room was amazing. We got a corner room and couldn't have been happier. The bed was very comfortable, the room as clean, and the tub was great! The hotel was just blocks from 16th street mall and a number of restaurants so we had plenty to do. What truly made this stay great, however, was the staff!!! I can't express how wonderful each and every person we met was! We encountered one problem which no one could have forseen (as is life) and the staff went above and beyond to make the situation right! I cannot say enough how wonderful our experience was!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anduril387
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are pleased that you had such a great stay. All of our associates are truly amazing individuals and genuinely care about people. I am glad that that shined through. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 February 2011

When I arrived for 4 nights at the The Oxford I was put into Room 200 which had a lovely of the street, but a very awkward bathroom with a triangular shaped shower in a corner with not much of a lip. I proceeded to get water all over the bathroom.

The next morning I asked for a different room and the staff immediately set to work finding me a different room, which they did despite being virtually sold out. I raced back at lunch and moved my things. The new room had a much better bathroom but no view. C'est la vie -- a tradeoff.

There are two absolutely fabulous things about this hotel, the first is the service. I honestly have never met a nicer staff. They were always helpful, never forgot a request and generally went out of their way with not even a hint of attitude. Got me a hotel to the airport in 5 minutes when Yellow Cab had told me an hour. The second thing is the fitness center which is amazing because it is a facility large enough to be a members only facility (which it is) with scheduled classes (a rare thing indeed for a hotel fitness center).

The location is in the up and coming LoDo area of Denver, which is ... well up and coming. Union Station nearby is getting a big face lift but it won't be done until next year. That said, there are plenty of restaurants (including 2 in the hotel) nea by and an incredible bookstore -- The Tattered Cover. Which is like a comfy Barnes & Noble but with personality and warmth. Amazing.

The Oxford claims to be the 'oldest' hotel in Denver and this matches their old world feel and rooms full of antiques. For me this had mixed results, sometimes it just came off as slightly shabby instead of classy. If you want a super modern cookie cutter hotel, this place isn't for you. It is a kind of quirky place with many lovely touches.

Compared to my last stay at the Hyatt at the Convention Center, the Oxford is much more reasonable.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank NY10040
Timeless09, Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2011
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We are addressing the issue you mentioned with the bathroom of the first room you were in. I am pleased that you found the staff so helpful. We take great pride in the service our associates provide to our guests and are glad you got to experience it first hand. We look forward to serving you again in the future.