“Great location and excellent service”
Review of The Oxford Hotel

The Oxford Hotel
Ranked #4 of 158 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 18 June 2011

The Oxford is a beautiful and lovingly maintained historic property. The location can't be beat for any business downtown. It is within easy walking distance of shopping and excellent restaurants (the best was right across the street). A complimenary town car will take you anywhere within a 2-mile radius. I appreciated getting the tip from other TripAdvisor reviewers about the fee for parking. We did the math and realized that it was cheaper for us to take the airport shuttle and not use a car downtown, even if we had to take a cab once or twice. And it worked out great.

However, what makes the Oxford outstanding is the unparalleled service. Every single staff member we met seemed happy to serve us. There is good service and then there is cheerful good service - and we got cheerful excellent service. As just one example, the minibar from our room happened to be out for repair, and the staff promptly delivered a refrigerator to our room, since I had medication that needed to be kept cold.

I would highly recommend this property.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank CLK10
There are newer reviews for The Oxford Hotel

Reviewed 13 June 2011

We chose the Oxford based on the proximity to the Amtrak Station. The hotel is beautiful. The staff were genuine and attentive. The gym was great. We did not have time to use the spa but would consider a service the next visit. The bar and restaurant were very good.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank 4SavvyAKTravelers
Reviewed 14 May 2011

As soon as we walked into the Oxford, I knew we were going to love it. The hotel was immaculate, perfectly appointed, and just gorgeous. The staff were professional, friendly, and peppered in some humor which I always appreciate.

When we walked into the room, it felt like I'd gone back in time. It was perfect down to the last detail including the fixtures, flooring, fabrics, everything. It had lush, long robes and very nice toiletries too. I walked each floor of the hotel looking at all of the amazing antiques. There were two pieces I found that I would've loved to take home!

For convenience, they have a town car that will take you anywhere you want to go around downtown (2-mile radius) and they are one block from the 16th Street Mall free shuttle service.

The only negative was the $28 / day parking fee. It's cheaper to leave your car on the street overnight and get a $25 ticket than it is to park with the hotel (plus valet tip). That is not surprising for a downtown hotel, but still a bitter pill.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IleneJ
Reviewed 28 April 2011

My sister and I stayed in the Oxford Hotel for one night while passing through Denver and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The Hotel has been recently renovated with careful consideration to its history. We came from the East Coast and were immediately struck by its western feel emphasized by the wonderful artwork covering its walls. It is worth a visit just to look at the art alone!

The staff was extremely welcoming and answered all of our questions about where to have dinner (The Big Game), how to find the Civic Center area and what would be a good early morning walk route (through the greenway around the S. Platt.) The location is excellent, right off the 16th Street walking area and in the middle of the historic area referred to as LoDo (lower downtown Denver).

The Hotel offers some unique service such as a Town Car to take you anywhere within a two mile radius for free and valet parking for no charge. We didn't need the Town Car because we found walking to be so interesting in the area that we preferred to be on foot. It also has a spa attached to it, but we just didn't have time to try it out although we did see some guests in their robes heading there.

If you are looking for a Hotel with character, antiques in every room and a lot of history, this is a good choice. It's not a sleek, chrome and glass spot, and that's what we loved about it.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank ADVENTURESOME51
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I stay here when I come down for business or Avalanche games. It's location in LODO is ideal. Historically decorated yet very comfortable, it is a step back to a grander time. You can't beat the staff. They have become friends.

Room Tip: McCormacks Bar and Seafood Grill
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sloowis
Reviewed 7 April 2011

This was a magical stay at a superb hotel.
Staff were SO friendly and couldn't do enough for us.
Great location with so many facilities so close by
A little bit of England transposed to Colorado.
We were unfortunately only there for one night but will certainly stay again
MarkR

Room Tip: Prove it's your birthday with your passport
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nefyn
Reviewed 15 March 2011

We live just west of Denver, but will occasionally get a hotel room downtown before or after some large event (a "staycation" of sorts.) So the night before the Denver St. Patrick's Day parade, we checked into the Oxford Hotel. This place never disappoints!

I use a large power wheelchair, so staying in boutique hotels or historic hotels can sometimes be a problem. They are often exempt from the ADA laws regarding public access. The Oxford, however, doesn't use its historic status to get around providing good access. We stayed in a room on the second floor that was listed as an accessible room with two queens. The elevators were big enough to get my wheelchair in without difficulty, the hallways were wide, and the room was big enough to manage (although not much space to spare.) I don't think getting past the first bed to the second one would have been possible in my power chair, but for me that's not an issue. The bathroom is large and easy to maneuver in. The stool had grab bars and there was a huge roll-in shower but I had no occasion to use it this time since she were only there for one night.

The lobby is beautiful, with a big fireplace on one wall and large leather chairs and other antique furniture that invite guests to sit down and relax. The service is impeccable and everything about the hotel exudes history and luxury. They have a fabulous bar called the Cruise Room that serves great martinis. It is long and narrow, however, so it's hard to get through in a wheelchair if it's crowded. Also on-site is McCormick's Fish House, with a great happy hour and wonderful food. I saw something about spa services on the hotel's website but I've never tried them. I wouldn't hesitate to do so, though, especially if they're the same caliber as all of their other amenities.

Finally, it is the location of this hotel that is icing on the cake. In Denver's Lodo (Lower Downtown) district, it is within walking distance of Union Station, Coors Field, the 16th St. Mall, and more bars and restaurants than you could visit in a year.

I would recommend this hotel to just about anybody.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank WheelchairWanderlust
Timeless09, Director of Operations at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments and taking the time to share them with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your last stay at The Oxford.. Our Spa and Salon is of the same caliber as the hotel and you will not be disappointed when experiencing it next time you are here. We look forward to having you back again in the future.
Michael O'Shea