“Old time Charm for those whose prefer the Bed&Breakfast Feel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Oxford Hotel

The Oxford Hotel
Ranked #4 of 156 Hotels in Denver
Houston
“Old time Charm for those whose prefer the Bed&Breakfast Feel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

We stayed at The Oxford Hotel for my mom's birthday and to see Lenny Kravitz at the Buell Theater which was a quick 2 minute drive away. I purchased the package with a room, valet and breakfast and it was definitely the way to go. Upon arrival, Mia, the manager on duty, greeted us with a big smile! My mom requested room 420 because of her favorite movie, Somewhere in Time. The staff was playing along with my mom's request, and sure enough, we got the room upgrade to 420 "on the house." Mia was super sweet to let us have that room and the royal treatment was only beginning. I let her know it was my Mom's birthday, and she sent up some goodies to our room along with a sweet birthday card signed by all the staff. The room reminded me of a cozy B&B which is my favorite way to travel. The next morning we had breakfast downstairs at McCormick's and breakfast was perfect, and the staff super friendly. Definitely recommend this hotel to everyone. I just can't say enough good things about the Oxford. It was cozy, historic, and the staff was awesome! Beats any chain hotel any day!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

This old historic hotel has been updated with the latest technology and yet remains beautiful and elegant. The location is delightful and makes enjoying the neat places in downtown Denver easy. The friendly staff adds to the gentle and warm ambiance. The morning coffee available near the elevators on each floor was absolutely wonderful. McCormick's Restaurant and bar, located in the hotel, are also a plus. We are glad we live only 45 minutes away so we can stay here again soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in a "Victorian" type room. Art deco rooms are also available.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Westminster, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

My wife and I chose to take a long weekend and just get away from the everyday "race of the rats!" The Oxford was a wonderful choice. What was even better we combined it with some of the wonderful offers during the "Denver Restaurant week" known as the $52.80.
We definitely will stay at the Oxford again the staff was wonderful, helpful and courteous!
Enjoy this jewel from Denver's past that still shines.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Redwood City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

I've stayed at the Oxford a few times and without fail each time I'm had a wonderful experience. The front desk staff is always very pleasant, attentive and helpful. This last time we arrived in the evening during a snow storm, on a Sunday, and most local restaurants had closed their kitchen doors to help their staff get home safe and sound, including McCormicks which is associated with the hotel. The front desk called around (and around) and found a place nearby that still served food for us. (By the way, I was less impressed by the manager at McCormicks who brushed us off.)

Also, I was able to take advantage of their partnership with the Oxford Spa next door for a yoga class - a great option and far above and beyond the typical hotel gym!

Looking forward to the next visit!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I opted for the Oxford Hotel for my wedding anniversary with my husband and we brought our dog. I am not surprised that this reminded me of another of the 200 best ranked hotels worldwide, the Royal Hawaiian pink palace where we spent our wedding night. The atmosphere, design and decor, polished staff, the thoughtful gestures of wine and chocolate treats in the room upon arrival, the fact that my husband (and our dog) felt right at home... all this meant so much to me. There is a plethora of fine and/or fun dining within and outside the hotel. This hotel is incredible for leisure travel but if I was traveling for business I would never want to settle for anything less.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I have previously reviewed this hotel back in November when my husband, dog and myself were traveling cross country. It was not up to our expectations after reading numerous glowing reviews. At any rate I would like to rescind my initial review and post a more positive one. On our trip back to Los Angeles we stopped once again in Denver....having driven through Nebraska after it's first snowfall of the year and horrific driving conditions we were looking forward to Denver. My husband, contrary to my choice of hotels wanted to stay at the Oxford again. I relented, simply because I knew that the location would be perfect, I was willing to forgo comfort.
Upon check-in we were given an upgrade....when we got to our room we were more than happy, thrilled was more like it. Double windows, a bed that didn't need a chair to be hoisted up into and a normal bath. This room was heaven! We were so exhausted from our trip up until this point, we decided to stay an extra day to bathe ourselves in comfort.
It was 8 degrees so there wasn't a whole lot to do, but the lobby was cozy with a fire blazing and there is a restaurant attached to the hotel which was very convenient.
Everyone at the hotel was very accommodating and seemed to really try to make our stay enjoyable. We would definitely return to this hotel, and since they allow dogs it's a def thumbs up!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Denver58
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

This hotel first opened it's doors in 1891. It's been refurbished and offers all the modern conveniences but, retains it's original elegance. It's a warm, cozy, sparkling clean boutique hotel full of gorgeous antiques. The valet (super nice and very accommodating) takes your car to a parking garage a few blocks away. There is no on street parking - it's downtown Denver which is metered. If you want, the hotel also has a town car available to take you to dinner.

Justin (who was wonderful!) checked us in. We settled in to our lovely room, then explored the other floors. As you get off the elevator, on each floor you see a lounge area with overstuffed chairs. If so inclined, this would be a very pleasant place to sit and read one of the books from the library located above the check-in area. These areas also serve as a place to get your morning coffee or tea from silver urns. After we were done exploring, we went down stairs to the Cruise Room Martini Bar. It's located on the first floor I was told by a friend that the bar is patterned after a bar in the Queen Mary. Whether or not it was, it is a fantastic place to have a drink including any kind of martini you could imagine. They also have a nice wine selection. We had no trouble finding a place to sit only because we got in there early. By the time we left for our dinner reservations at 7:30 pm, the place was SRO.

The bed was very comfortable, the towels were plentiful and the toiletries were high end. All and I all - I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms only have showers. If a bath is your thing, clarify it when you make your reserva...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple