“Cool Place”
Review of The Oxford Hotel

The Oxford Hotel
Ranked #5 of 159 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I bet this place would be great. Super cool location and nice decor. But, I stayed here this week and the HVAC system went out. It was brutally hot in my room. I came down in the morning to check out and the guy asked me how my stay was. I told the guy at the front desk that it was really hot and I couldn't sleep. He said "yeah, you're the 5th person that said something about that". But that was it. I wasn't expecting a free room but a legit apology or maybe breakfast would've been nice considering I dropped $200 to sweat all night and not sleep. It wasn't exactly the service you'd expect at a place this nice.

1  Thank Matt L
Timeless09, Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies for your stay being considerably less than satisfactory. The staff obviously did not handle the situation properly and not just with you. I will be using your survey as a training tool to emphasize that we never let a guest leave unhappy. Please feel free to contact me directly to be our guest on your next trip to Denver. I can assure you that this is not the normal experience our guests receive and we will fix it thanks to what you kindly shared.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

We stayed here on a recent business trip to Denver. The location is amazing as it's within 4-5 blocks of probably 50 bars and restaurants. Very easy to walk to Coors Field or the Pepsi Center from there. It's an older hotel that has been restored and renovated to a certain degree, but still has all the comforts of one of the larger chains. The service was fantastic! The staff were very attentive and extremely helpful. The Fitness Center is one of the best I have ever seen at a hotel. The cost was also very reasonable and less expensive than one of the chain hotels in the area (Westin, Marriott, etc). I would say we definitely got more value for our money here. I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Denver.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your stay with us. We do have an amazing location being in the heart of LoDo. I am pleased that you found the service up to your expectations. We truly have an amazing staff that understands what it is to serve others with authenticity, heart and soul. I am glad you enjoyed the Club as well. We are in the process of making many improvements to our Club, Spa and Salon. Please feel free to contact me directly and it would be my pleasure to give you a personal tour the next time you are with us.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

This a wonderful Hotel with amazing staff but they do not and have not cleaned there carpets in years!!!!

If you stay here be sure not to take off your shoes in the room. The carpet is not suppose to be mated brown but a plush gold.

Head of Engineering Michael Michna says is because of a tight budget.

Why do hotels spend money to clean there windows but not carpets? Windows are the first thing you as a consumer see. This must change.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid response. I must admit that I am a bit baffled at your comments about the carpeting. We have just finished installing new carpeting in 25% of our guest rooms and also the hallway carpeting on three of the guest room floors. In addition, all the guest rooms carpeting are deep cleaned on a regular basis.

Regardless, your experience was less than satisfactory and I do apologize for that. Please feel free to contact me directly to have you back as our guest so you can experience what we are really about. Once again, I appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Upper middle class retirement age couple who eschew the chrome and glitz of yuppiedom, were guided to this lovely renovated downtown hostelry for the Easter weekend. Rooms out of the 1890s west, but very nicely appointed. They had good coffee machine on each floor (with robe to wear to fetch it). And, they had complementary Sunday NYTs in the lobby. Terrific service, two different types of bar, lovely old restaurant, which we did not try as our friends provided dinners in their home and at other venues. Did not use Spa facility.
Downside is its location in the new hip club area near the old Union Station that is now under renovation.. Quite safe, but a tad noisy on Friday night. We had a splended corner room looking SE.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Timeless09, Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the taking the time to share your comments on your last visit with us. The Oxford is truly a unique gem in Denver, quite different from what you would find in any of the larger and as you refer to as "Chrome" hotels.

LoDo is am extremely vibrant neighborhood and I do apologize for the noise. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

oxford hotel experience was great. the staff from the time one enters to check in till you go to check out they all were there for you ---.small hotel but BIG in accommodations---location was very good & close to everything---one can wake up to some coffe by the elevators on each floor & computer access available----we were there for the ncaa tourney in pepsi center so we could walk there -----next time i go to denver staying @ OXFORD HOTEL ---hope who ever reads this will enjoy as much as we did .

Room Tip: higher floors allow one a little better view but any room you choose you'll like due to the amme...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

I am so pleased you had the opportunity to have the true "Oxford Experience" during your visit.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Wonderful old hotel (city's oldest) with lots of charm, ambiance and creature comforts. Rooms very well furnished, appointed and comfortable, and made us feel like we were staying in a B&B. Service was outstanding reinforcing the B&B feel. Great location in LODO area near 16th Street Mall, Union Station and downtown with many shops and attractions within easy walking distance. Great in-house spa, restaurant (McCormick and Schmidt’s) and very nice, relaxed, historic Art Deco bar (Cruise Room) in lobby (as long as you don’t mind red and pink décor.) Elevators are nice (with carpets for each day of the week) but do yourself a favor and take the stairs if possible to get better feel for the place. Hotel has a town car that will take guests to anywhere within a certain radius which is very handy. In morning excellent coffee is available near the elevators on each floor. Internet (wired and wifi connections available) is included, business center on second floor and packages are available that can include breakfast, parking and other amenities. You definitely get more than you pay for and we’ll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for exterior views and book using one of the available packages if possible
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments. The Oxford Hotel truly is the most unique hotel in Denver which obviously is not lost on you. Please feel free to contact me directly on your next visit as I would love to give you a personal tour of the property. We are currently upgrading of our Club, Spa and Salon which you will appreciate as well.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

You know this is a great property when my biggest complaint is the failure to have a soap dish in the shower - or anywhere for that matter. I just put the soap on the floor. And the bathrooms are very small with little counter space. But this is a wonderful old hotel (Denver's oldest) with lots of charm and comfort. It definitely has the feel of a B&B. The service is top rate and they have a town car and driver available to you for free (if you stay in the downtown area). The connected McCormick's restaurant is very handy. Location is in the most interesting part of Denver allowing you to walk most anywhere.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business