“Great location, but not family friendly”
Review of The Oxford Hotel

The Oxford Hotel
Ranked #4 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great location, but not family friendly”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

The best thing about the Oxford is the location. It's in the LoDo area of Denver, close to the baseball stadium and many restaurants and bars. The hotel is nice but isn't my cup of tea. It's a beautiful boutique hotel with a classical interior that feels a bit stuffy to me. We got a room for the night through Priceline for $135.

Because we got the discounted rate we were given a less than stellar room on the third floor right by the elevator. The room was nicely appointed, but small. There was barely enough room for the king sized bed, small desk and table. The bed, however, was very comfortable. I slept like a baby until I heard all the drunk partiers stumble in around 2 or 3. The place was loud because of that. We heard some drunk girl stumble and fall and employees or security had to help her to her room.

Wifi in the groom was free. Valet parking was $28 for the day (and you can come and go for that price). There's also a public garage close by for $15 for the day, I believe.

I'd recommend the place for romantic getaways or drunken getaways. Its not great for families.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Timeless09, Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I apologize for the noise complaint you mentioned in your review. I must admit that sometimes that can happen and is certainly not an every day occurrence. We have many families that stay with us on a regular basis who have wonderful experiences.

Please feel free to contact me directly so that I may personally select a quieter and more spacious room for your next visit.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
home
Reviewed 7 July 2012

My husband and I went to cool off from the Arizona summer and much to our surprise it was 105 degrees the whole time we were there in Denver. The hotel was very nice and the staff was very well trained. Our room was spotless and very comfortable. They also served fresh coffee iin the hall which was delicious. We had planned on doing a lot of walking but it was so hot they offered a town car to take us to our destination. Great job! We will be back.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lspiceymom
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am pleased that you stay was enjoyable and that you were able to stay cool by using our courtesy town car service. We are excited to share that we now have a 2013 Hybrid Escalade as our courtesy vehicle to chauffer you around Denver on your next visit.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

Fabulous hotel. It is the oldest in Denver and has been beautifully restored. Great location. Trendy neighborhood with great restaurants and shops. Very accommodating and friendly staff. The room was spacious with large bathroom with shower and claw tub. Provided a complimentary town car to train station ( Union Station is right down the street, but under construction) Highly recommend!

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 2 July 2012

My best friend and I stayed at the Oxford Hotel on the Girlfriends Getaway package this past weekend. The hotel is gorgeous, and the staff overall was very friendly and helpful. The hotel has an excellent location near great shopping, restaurants, and historic buildings. Room service was prompt, and the breakfast we ordered was utterly delicious (try the french toast--yum!). We also loved the Cruise Room bar--good food and drinks, fun atmosphere, and beautiful, historic decor. The hotel was quieter than most historic hotels I've stayed in--either they must have added some noice reduction features, or the original builders were ahead of their time on that front. The hotel was very clean, and I thought we got a lot for our money. Overall, we really loved the hotel, but there were a couple of things that will cause me to give it 4 stars rather than 5.

First, the parlour suite is offered in the girlfriends getaway package as being suitable for two unrelated adults because it has a fold-out sofa in the front room so you can sleep in separate spaces. When the sofa is folded out into a bed, however, it stretches the entire width of the room, so we spent the entire weekend climbing over the bed to get in and out of the room. It was less than ideal. Also, the foldout bed was quite possibly the least comfortable bed I've ever slept on. I could feel every spring digging into my back all night long. Second, the towncar service that's offered as part of the package didn't work out for us at all. The first night, it had a flat tire and then was in use by other guests all evening after the tire was fixed, and the second night, the engine wouldn't start. So we never got to partake in that amenity. The hotel did give us a voucher for a taxi for one of the rides we missed out on, which was very nice of them to do, but we would have preferred to be able to actually use the towncar service like we thought we were going to be able to do. Last, the bathroom had one of those rain shower heads in the shower. I know some people love those, but the gentleness of the water spray makes it nearly impossible to rinse shampoo out of long hair, so they don't work for me at all. Hotels, please take your female patrons into account and get rid of these shower heads!

But for these items, this would have been a 5 star review. The value was excellent, and we were almost in love with the hotel. I'll give it a second try sometime when I don't need the foldout sofa, and I bet I'll give it 5 stars then.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Timeless09, Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid response. I am glad that your overall experience was good and apologize for the areas you found less that satisfactory. All of the pull out mattresses are being replaced by the end of August and I will definitely be investigating the shower heads as that seems like an easy thing to resolve. I apologize for the town car incident as well. We have since purchased a 2013 Hybrid Escalade as our previous vehicle needed to be replaced.

I appreciate your feedback on these areas of opportunities as it allows us to correct them and become better. I would love to have you back as our guest in the future.

Please feel free to contact me directly when arranging your next stay with us.
Washington DC
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Ambiance, charm, comfortable bed, attractive room and unbelievably helpful staff (especially Patrick at the front desk). Perfect location too. I really hate to leave. And there is even a complimentary town car available to take you anywhere you want to go within a two mile radius. Unbeatable. Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LantzMill
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We constantly strive for all of our guests to have the same experience as you describe. Thank you for mentioning Patrick, we is a valued associate and was so pleased when I shared this with him.

It would be my pleasure to meet you on your next visit. Please ask for at the front desk on your next arrival.

Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I'm a local and any time I have family / friends in town I recommend they stay here. The service is amazing from the front desk to the door men to the management. Perfect location in downtown denver, beautiful historic building & rooms, and surprisingly quiet for being in the heart of lower downtown. I would recommend this place to anyone wanting to catch a game, a taste of the great food and night life in Denver.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Atlanta
Reviewed 25 June 2012

At the end of a trip around Colorado with my son and his two teen-aged children, we checked into this marvelous hotel the night before catching our plane home. The reaction to the rooms was an instant text - "Awesome rooms." The location is perfect for vacationers - close to the long 16th Street pedestrian mall, the stadium, and various restaurants and shops. We loved the ambience of Denver's oldest hotel. The staff was exceptionally helpful. When we checked in with the valet, we had to wait a moment while several of the staff helped a frail little lady into her cab. They were so solicitious of her comfort that I was impressed even before we went inside. That is the type hotel this is - refined good taste and rare old-style couth. We got a good discount on last-minute reservations. Pros: location, large, well-furnished rooms (some antiques), excellent linens and mattresses, good facilities, hotel car available to drive you anywhere within a two-mile radiul,. Cons: there is no hotel restaurant, but a McCormick's restaurant next door provides room service and meals. - actually not a con.

Room Tip: All appear to be lovely; a few are slightly larger. Interior rooms are quieter but no view.