“Good hotel but just not impressed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Oxford Hotel

The Oxford Hotel
Ranked #4 of 156 Hotels in Denver
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Good hotel but just not impressed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

I stayed here for only one night since my usual hotel was booked solid for my last day in Denver. The hotel itself is what one would expect from a nice, well located, old hotel. It certainly has old school charm. Upon arrival, I unloaded the rental car and approached the front desk. Nothing impressive or welcoming and rather dark. Just a quick check in without the good customer service one expects while staying at a nice hotel. No smile or "enjoy your stay." The room itself was in need of a good carpet cleaning or replacement. Dark stains littered the front room. The room was otherwise very clean. This is an old, but updated, hotel so be forewarned about the creaky floors, misaligned doors, and windows that do not close fully so noise can be a factor. This was not a bother at all. The pictures on the website are much better than in person. I was rather disappointed after opening the door. The valet parking is very pricey at $28 a night but you can come and go as often as you like. If I spent more time here, I might have explored other parking options. I only had the car parked for me only once since everything is so close. There is no complimentary breakfast. All in all, this hotel is average with better options in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank normeororman
Timeless09, Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2012
Dear Guest.
Thank you for your feedback, we do appreciate the time you took to share your experience. I'm quite surprised to hear you felt the staff was less than friendly upon your arrival. This is not typical of our guest service team. While there are obvious challenges historic buildings such as the Oxford Hotel possess, we do appreciate the feedback and are always working towards improving in these areas.
I would love to invite you back as our guest to show you what a stay at the Oxford Hotel is truly like and to have the opportunity to allow us to prove to you our guest service team is one of the best. Please feel free to contact me directly.
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Castle Rock, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

I couldn't have been more disappointed. This was suppose to be a wonderful Anniverssary celebrations (25yrs) for me and my husband. I came in 2 days prior to our reservation July 2012 and confirmed our reservation. The director of marketing suggested I reserve their town car to ensure we have transportation to dinner.

We arrived to our room. At first everything looked great. We got dressed for dinner and went down to bellman to let him know we are ready to be taken to Oceans prime to be told they had no reservation. Instead we took a taxi. Upon coming back to our room after dinner. We changed got settled in and noticed to toilet running. It would not stop. Then we went pulled back the blankets to bed to find a large sunken in dip on one side. It was near midnight and just wanted to sleep. It was unbearable by 3 am and almost called service to switch rooms but realized the night was over. Around 7 am we packed to check out, now toilet not flushing at all, and while picking up our things and cleaning up we found old food crumbs under bed and trash behind dresser. I've had better stays at the Marriott for a heck of a lot less.

Upon check out I shared pictures of bed and trash. She was apologetic and said she would pass on to management. It's been 3 weeks now and not one call. This is not what we expected from a prestigious hotel.

We would not recommend this place to anyone. But would highly recommend the broad moor anyday!!!!

5 Thank Karen E
Timeless09, Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincerest apology for your stay being at the very least unsatisfactory. I appreciate your candid feedback and will use your review as a training tool to ensure that no one experiences these inconsistencies during a stay at the Oxford. I can assure you that this is not typical and would love the opportunity to have you back as my guest to prove to you what we are truly about.

Please feel free to contact me directly to make any arrangements.
NoCal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012 via mobile

Denver prices have always been high but I saw special offers that the Oxford was running and booked. Closest to Coors Field. Arrived at DIA at 9am, took the RTD arrived by 11am. Walked to the Oxford to see if I could drop by bag off and the young lady, Jennifer, said two rooms were ready to choose from. WOW, after taking a 6am flight, of course, I'll check in now. Snoozed for a few hours. Hot hot day, AC worked fine. Modern amenities in an older hotel that still uses a real key. Bed was comfortable, a block from the 16th St Mall bus. The fitness center is the building next door and is shared with a spa. I have stayed at the Monaco, Hyatt, and Hilton property near the convention center as well as a Townsplace Suites on Speer which I think has changed names. I would say the Oxford is the best for the Coors Field RTD DIA route if that was the plan.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank TravelingChumley
Timeless09, Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We value your opinion and are glad you had a pleasant experience. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

the oxford is in an interesting location. after a long, stressfull trip, the reception was not particularly welcoming. hospitality starts at the front door. we had an o.k. visit but felt this place could be much improved with just a little more effort.

1 Thank Mb300sr
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid feedback. I must admit that I was surprised to hear that you did not feel particularly welcomed upon your arrival. I do apologize for your experience and will use your review as a training tool with the staff as a reminder that there is always room for us to improve.

Please feel free to contact me directly to be our guest on a future visit to allow us to prove to you what we truly are about here at The Oxford Hotel.

Barstow, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I loved the history of the hotel and its unique feel. Even though it has all modern conveniences, it still maintains very elegant historic decor, down to the old wooden doors. The complimentary gym use was great, as was coffee setup in the hallways. AWESOME location in lower downtown, it was a quick walk to & from Coors park.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kacie01
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. All feedback from our guests is greatly appreciated. I am glad you enjoyed the history and uniqueness of the hotel. It truly is one of a kind. I am pleased to hear that you experienced the Oxford Fitness Club during your last visit. We just celebrated our 25th Anniversary of the Club Spa and Salon and are proud to be ranked #26 in U.S. Hotel Spas by Condé Nast Traveler.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

East Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

My husband and I booked the Oxford for our two night stay in Denver based on the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. Everything about our stay was wonderful (from the staff, to the location, to the rooms)! From the moment we arrived we were impressed with the Oxford. Everyone on staff was helpful and friendly. Check in was a breeze. The lobby, hallways, and rooms were all tastefully decorated with a mix of modern and historic furnishings. The room itself was immaculately clean and comfortable (the size was small, but had everything you needed and you never felt cramped). Being in the heart of LoDo, we found the location to be perfect and easily walkable to all areas of the city. When we felt like being lazy, the Oxford also had a car service that would take you anywhere you wanted to go within 2 miles, free of charge. If you are worried about safety, we felt that the area around the Oxford was safe to walk around late at night and was close many to many bars and restaurants. If we are ever in Denver again, the Oxford would be first on my list for accommodations.

Room Tip: Be sure to take advantage of the fresh coffee in the hall each morning (located on the tables by the...
1 Thank sandra7979
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in this review. I am pleased that you had the true "Oxford Experience" during your last visit. Our staff is amazing and genuinely enjoys serving others. I am glad you enjoyed the area we are located in, LoDo, as we are just steps away from all that Denver has to offer.

We look forward to having you back as our guest.

Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Spent two nights in the Oxford which has a great location in the LoDO are of Denver. This is a very good hotel and good value for the overall experience.
Excellent rooms with very comfortable beds. Our room was very clean and had 'character which tried to match that of an ' Historic' Denver building. I liked it a lot.
There is no restaurant but a "Mcormick and Schlitz' is attached which serves a nice breakfast, lunch or dinner. Alternatively there are lots of other choices nearby.
The staff were very good, the doormen were very good, responsive and helpful.
The reception staff were efficient and polite.
I thought the Oxford was a very good hotel, I would recommend it, on the evidence of my stay and I would stay there again.
Having said that, I have a comment to make about the reception staff and I hope the Manager of the hotel reads this as I think it could just raise the standard of his hotel even further.
As an obvious newcomer to Denver, I admitted as much, the reception staff :
1. Could have booked the Grey line tour I was desperate to take they did not even offer to find the telephone number for me. They did dial the number when asked but just passed me the telephone after that.
2. Could have offered me a street map of downtown Denver, I asked if they had one on the second day and they handed it over.
3 Could have explained about the 16th St Mall ( no,it is not world famous!)
4. Could have told me there was a free bus which rang the length of the 16th st mall, would have been nice knowing in that heat.
5. Could give distance training to reception staff. 'couple of miles' turns out to be 5 miles. 'Couple of blocks 'turned out to be 6 blocks! ( and it was hot)
Come on guys, offer a welcome, be proactive, think 'Guest'!
OK, I am a big boy, so managed to work things out myself, just annoyed at the lack of professionalism.
Leadership issue?

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LlewllynBren
Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincerest apology for your stay being less than satisfactory. What you have stated is completely unacceptable and has been addressed with the staff. I must admit that I was surprised to see such a comment regarding the staff not being helpful. I appreciate your feedback as it is a tool for us to constantly keep challenging and improving ourselves.

Please allow me to have you back as our guest on your next trip to Denver, please feel free to contact me directly.