“A good hotel if you are looking for an historic place”
Review of The Oxford Hotel

The Oxford Hotel
Ranked #4 of 157 Hotels in Denver
“A good hotel if you are looking for an historic place”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Oxford Hotel is an historic property - and a good place in that category.

Western pictures appear on the walls in reception - tiled floors are in front of elevators - and the mezzanine offers a nice view into the lobby. The rooms have the pros of an historic property: older furniture, armoires for storage of clothing, and formal window hangings. On the other hand, the bathrooms have some draw-backs of limited water-pressure and hot water - and the shower curtain does not always contain water from spilling onto the floor.

A nice option for dining is the happy hour in the Corner Bar - which offers a menu with selections at very favorable prices. Or go across the street to the coffee place (not connected to Oxford Hotel). As frequently the case at hotels in urban areas, room service is expensive.

If looking for an historic property, Oxford is a good choice - but those looking for more standardized, modern amenities, may prefer elsewhere.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Timeless09, Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2012
Dear Guest.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We value all feedback as it allows us to constantly improve. These issues have been addressed with the appropriate department heads. We do hope you will choose the Oxford Hotel for future stays and with that we do look forward to your next visit. Please feel free to contact me directly with questions or future reservation needs.
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Golden, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I was there today for a meeting and the men's room obviously had not been cleaned for days. Paper towels strewn about, waste containers overflowing, urinals totally disgusting. I was afraid to eat the food that was served nearly an hour early.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest.
Thank you for your candid feedback, it is very much appreciated.
Our public restrooms are cleaned on a routine basis. I do apologize you found the men's restroom less than completely sanitary. We will continue to keep the cleanliness of our public restrooms a top priority.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I stayed here for only one night since my usual hotel was booked solid for my last day in Denver. The hotel itself is what one would expect from a nice, well located, old hotel. It certainly has old school charm. Upon arrival, I unloaded the rental car and approached the front desk. Nothing impressive or welcoming and rather dark. Just a quick check in without the good customer service one expects while staying at a nice hotel. No smile or "enjoy your stay." The room itself was in need of a good carpet cleaning or replacement. Dark stains littered the front room. The room was otherwise very clean. This is an old, but updated, hotel so be forewarned about the creaky floors, misaligned doors, and windows that do not close fully so noise can be a factor. This was not a bother at all. The pictures on the website are much better than in person. I was rather disappointed after opening the door. The valet parking is very pricey at $28 a night but you can come and go as often as you like. If I spent more time here, I might have explored other parking options. I only had the car parked for me only once since everything is so close. There is no complimentary breakfast. All in all, this hotel is average with better options in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank normeororman
Dear Guest.
Thank you for your feedback, we do appreciate the time you took to share your experience. I'm quite surprised to hear you felt the staff was less than friendly upon your arrival. This is not typical of our guest service team. While there are obvious challenges historic buildings such as the Oxford Hotel possess, we do appreciate the feedback and are always working towards improving in these areas.
I would love to invite you back as our guest to show you what a stay at the Oxford Hotel is truly like and to have the opportunity to allow us to prove to you our guest service team is one of the best. Please feel free to contact me directly.
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I couldn't have been more disappointed. This was suppose to be a wonderful Anniverssary celebrations (25yrs) for me and my husband. I came in 2 days prior to our reservation July 2012 and confirmed our reservation. The director of marketing suggested I reserve their town car to ensure we have transportation to dinner.

We arrived to our room. At first everything looked great. We got dressed for dinner and went down to bellman to let him know we are ready to be taken to Oceans prime to be told they had no reservation. Instead we took a taxi. Upon coming back to our room after dinner. We changed got settled in and noticed to toilet running. It would not stop. Then we went pulled back the blankets to bed to find a large sunken in dip on one side. It was near midnight and just wanted to sleep. It was unbearable by 3 am and almost called service to switch rooms but realized the night was over. Around 7 am we packed to check out, now toilet not flushing at all, and while picking up our things and cleaning up we found old food crumbs under bed and trash behind dresser. I've had better stays at the Marriott for a heck of a lot less.

Upon check out I shared pictures of bed and trash. She was apologetic and said she would pass on to management. It's been 3 weeks now and not one call. This is not what we expected from a prestigious hotel.

We would not recommend this place to anyone. But would highly recommend the broad moor anyday!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Karen E
Timeless09, Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincerest apology for your stay being at the very least unsatisfactory. I appreciate your candid feedback and will use your review as a training tool to ensure that no one experiences these inconsistencies during a stay at the Oxford. I can assure you that this is not typical and would love the opportunity to have you back as my guest to prove to you what we are truly about.

Please feel free to contact me directly to make any arrangements.
NoCal
Reviewed 3 August 2012 via mobile

Denver prices have always been high but I saw special offers that the Oxford was running and booked. Closest to Coors Field. Arrived at DIA at 9am, took the RTD arrived by 11am. Walked to the Oxford to see if I could drop by bag off and the young lady, Jennifer, said two rooms were ready to choose from. WOW, after taking a 6am flight, of course, I'll check in now. Snoozed for a few hours. Hot hot day, AC worked fine. Modern amenities in an older hotel that still uses a real key. Bed was comfortable, a block from the 16th St Mall bus. The fitness center is the building next door and is shared with a spa. I have stayed at the Monaco, Hyatt, and Hilton property near the convention center as well as a Townsplace Suites on Speer which I think has changed names. I would say the Oxford is the best for the Coors Field RTD DIA route if that was the plan.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank TravelingChumley
Timeless09, Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We value your opinion and are glad you had a pleasant experience. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 31 July 2012

the oxford is in an interesting location. after a long, stressfull trip, the reception was not particularly welcoming. hospitality starts at the front door. we had an o.k. visit but felt this place could be much improved with just a little more effort.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mb300sr
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid feedback. I must admit that I was surprised to hear that you did not feel particularly welcomed upon your arrival. I do apologize for your experience and will use your review as a training tool with the staff as a reminder that there is always room for us to improve.

Please feel free to contact me directly to be our guest on a future visit to allow us to prove to you what we truly are about here at The Oxford Hotel.

Barstow, California
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I loved the history of the hotel and its unique feel. Even though it has all modern conveniences, it still maintains very elegant historic decor, down to the old wooden doors. The complimentary gym use was great, as was coffee setup in the hallways. AWESOME location in lower downtown, it was a quick walk to & from Coors park.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kacie01
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. All feedback from our guests is greatly appreciated. I am glad you enjoyed the history and uniqueness of the hotel. It truly is one of a kind. I am pleased to hear that you experienced the Oxford Fitness Club during your last visit. We just celebrated our 25th Anniversary of the Club Spa and Salon and are proud to be ranked #26 in U.S. Hotel Spas by Condé Nast Traveler.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.