“Jewel of an Historic Hotel”
Review of The Oxford Hotel

The Oxford Hotel
Ranked #4 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Paris, Texas
“Jewel of an Historic Hotel”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed four nights at The Oxford Hotel in December for a family wedding. This is a handsome hotel with a cozy lobby and a great variety of room shapes and sizes. Service was impeccable - very friendly and helpful. From exploring the Tattered Book Store to eating brunch at The Kitchen to catching the light rail at the nearby train station, the location was wonderful. And, if it's snowing outside, enjoy drinks at the Cruise Room. A lovely time for all.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mclarktraveler
Ted C, Sales Coordinator at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear guest,

It was a great honor to have the family with us for such a special occasion during a lovely time of year! It is a grand opportunity for us to help create a LoDo experience for visitors and it sounds like no matter which side of the doors you were on, you had a lovely time.

Let us know next time you will be passing through Denver - we would love to see you again!

Teddy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I love the Oxford. It is a beautiful historic hotel right by Union Station. The Tattered Cover is about one block away, you can buy your Rockmount cowboy shirts across the street, and, of course, have cocktails at the Cruise Room. Great place to stay if you are downtown.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Coresidenttraveller
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking a few moments to share your experience! I have to agree with you that our location is hard to beat. Most of my holiday shopping took place within just a few blocks of here and everyone on my list was pleased! It sounds like you had a very relaxing stay and we look forward to seeing you here again!

Denver
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The rooms are the thing at the Oxford Hotel. Each is different, so try to sneak a peek at a few if you can. Lovely original fixtures and details such as original fireplaces. Bathrooms can range from barely-a-shower to new tubs and so on, so do inquire as to what it is you need and want. Love the old school feel of this 1891 hotel. Excellent Cruise Bar on the first floor, and breakfast (not complimentary) is excellent--don't miss the breakfast potatoes, if a bit formal. Lobby and the public areas all have the air of an older time---high ceilings, wide halls, antique furniture all give you a sense of what the hotel must've been like back in the day. Beds, however, are fully contemporary and wonderfully comfortable. A super nice stay. Looking forward to another trip down to Denver soon!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Ted C, Sales Coordinator at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear guest,

I'm so glad to hear that you were able to stay with us during your business trip to Denver! It sounds like you are a big fan of many of the room's details that draw their charm from The Oxford's past. Next time you visit, check out the hinges on the doors to the guestrooms. Most of them are hardware that were original to the hotel in 1891!

When you plan your return trip, keep in mind that you can request your bathroom preference. If you are interested in the five-piece bathroom with a clawfoot bathtub, any of our premium room types have those luxurious bathrooms.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon - maybe even for pleasure! Have a lovely holiday season!

Lyons, Colorado
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My wife and I have been staying at The Oxford Hotel whenever we come to Denver for over ten years, and we love it! We started off making it our Denver landing place when we took the train to Glenwood Springs, and lately we've been making it our romantic weekend destination. The staff are warm and friendly, the rooms are as comfortable as they are beautiful, and the amenities (valet parking, lobby, room service, spa, town car, Cruise Room, Corner Room, McCormicks, etc.) are superb. I would recommend The Oxford to anyone looking for a luxurious stay in Downtown Denver.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are particularly awesome.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Ted C, Sales Coordinator at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear repeat guest,

Ten years of romantic tradition! That's incredible and we are so very honored that we get to be a part of it! The passenger train is a beautiful scenic trip and Glenwood Springs is a charming mountain town, itself. With our proximity to the train station and a welcoming charm that matches the mood of your trip, I think you two have found the perfect way to start off your vacation.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us all of these years. You two are the type of family whose visit we look forward to every year! We can't wait to see you again next year!

Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I stayed at the Oxford on Sunday night with my partner and we had the most amazing time! Everything about this hotel is perfection, from the Christmas tree and open fireplace in the lobby, to the valet guy James, to the welcome mats in the elevators that change every day. We saw Sunday and Monday written on the carpet during our stay! Love the beds in the Oxford, they're so comfy, oh and don't forget bath salts as you'll probably want to try the claw foot tub like I did! We ate dinner and breakfast at McCormick's and both meals were exceptional, especially the Lobster bisque at dinner and the eggs bennidict Southern style for brekkie. We also had two cocktails in the Cruise Room and you shouldn't miss this, it's a Denver institution, not to mention the fact that the cocktails were yummy.

I wrote my blog on this hotel I loved it so much. You can read it here if you like. http://beckywicks.com/how-to-beat-an-alcohol-ban-and-get-seriously-addicted-to-oysters-in-denver-the-oxford-hotel-has-it-all/

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Ted C, Sales Coordinator at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear honored guest,

Firstly, thank you for your glowing review of our boutique hotel! We become absolutely giddy when travelers tell such detailed stories about their experience and you have a lovely blog! This is certainly a special time of year and we think it's a fitting experience to have combined the seasonal ambiance with soul-warming food and crafted cocktails.

Of course, the experience of our location and charming hotel might not be worth as much if the room lacked a comfortable bed... It sounds, though, like you had a relaxing guestroom stay with a great night's sleep!

It was truly an pleasure having you two with us here in Denver and look forward to seeing you next time you are passing through! Have a lovely holiday!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I really enjoyed my stay in the Oxford. My corner King birthday was perfect for a birthday girl. The ltbed was SUPER comfortable, I must say. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There's a car service to help you get around downtown and all service is delivered with a smile. They might want to work on the details, tho. My room service breakfast was soggy and kind of gross. (The front desk took it off my bill, though!) And my shower had two dispensers of conditioner, when I think one should have been a shower gel (rm 410). Minor, quibbles. The spa was wonderful (get the hot stone. GET IT!) And the bar "The Cruise Room", excellent cocktails. Love it.

Room Tip: make sure you get an outside facing room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Ted C, Sales Coordinator at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear guest,
It sounds like you were able to sample many different facets of our hotel and we are pleased that those minor mistakes didn’t get in the way of a lovely birthday celebration! Relaxation is an important ingredient for any hotel stay and we agree with you about the beds: they are incredibly comfortable! We would love to have you return soon! Whose birthday is next?
Regards,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

If you are visiting Denver and need a good place to stay in the Downtown area, you'd be doing yourself a favor by staying at the Oxford. The location is unbeatable: it's within walking distance to lots of happening places like Larimer square, the 16th street Mall, and Denver Center for Performing Arts. I never felt I needed a car throughout my the 3-night stay at the hotel.
The staff is great, especially the front door personnel. They can drive you anywhere within a 2-mile radius. All of them are helpful and will try their best to accommodate your needs.
The parlor suite was more like a regular room than an actual suite, but the rooms and hallways have an old charm to them, especially the decor. Even the keys are custom-made to fit the old times theme this hotel projects. The bathroom and bedsheets are nice and clean.
Sometimes, I could hear the neighboring room's conversation, but that wasn't a problem for me (I usually sleep with earplugs), but might be for others.
I used the fitness center once. I was pleasantly surprised by its size, the quality and diversity of their equipments. They had resistance bands, kettlebells and lots more.
Except for the small size of the suite, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Oxford and would stay there again if I get the chance to revisit Denver.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear guest,
We do agree with you! This area of town is fantastic to visit and explore all types of fun things that Denver offers without the need of a car. Of course, there are many options to stay active and fit in the area, but the Oxford Club’s fitness center is a neat and spacious place to keep up your healthy routine. If you do have the opportunity to visit again, we would love to have you return as an honored guest of The Oxford Hotel!
Regards,