“Ridiculously Overpriced”
Review of The Oxford Hotel

The Oxford Hotel
Ranked #5 of 160 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 13 September 2008

My wife and I recently stayed at this motel for several days. At over $200 a night, you would have expected the world. What you get is a musty, drafty room that's passed off as some ornate piece of restoration that is evidently too haute couture for a baboon like myself to understand. Throw in some pillows that felt like 40 pound potato sacks, no continental breakfast, "green" shower heads where the water comes out in a trickle, and you got yourself a piece of heaven. My advice. Find yourself a Holiday Inn Express for half the price, take the money you saved and go see a Rockies game.

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank LoveNeverDies
Write a ReviewReviews (1,135)

Reviewed 24 August 2008

Booked this through hotwire for $94. Couldn't have been better!!! It was a really nice clean room with a big bathroom. We came in for the Denver Broncos game and were very happy. It is right by the Union Station so it was easy to catch light rail to the game. Its also right down the street from coors field. The only bad thing about this hotel is no parking. You have to pay the valet or park at the union station. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank Bradly-James
Reviewed 22 August 2008

I stayed at the Oxford Hotel last week thinking it would be a nice getaway for my wife and I. I wish someone could have told me what this place is really like. Its nothing like the pictures you see online. Nothing. All the furniture is old and appears to be falling apart. We were checked in by an older gentleman who I believe was the manager. We arrived a little early and he seemed flustered that we were trying to check in early (1 hour early that is). He could not handle the phones going off and would not excuse himself to pick it up either. He was very rude and gave us a long story about how to use the key and sent us on our way as he quickly ran into what appeared to be his office. If this is a preview of the management I wonder what rest of the place is like. We got up to our guest room and were once again disappointed by the room. It smelled like old stale cigars and when we opened up the mini fridge there were 2 cockroaches inside. My wife and I decided to just leave the luggage and get out! We had already prepaid through Hotwire.Com if not we have demanded a refund and would have left without looking back. The only good thing I have to say about the Oxford is that its in a good location. LoDo is a great place to walk around in. And safe. We will never stay there again. Go down the street to Hotel Teatro for the same price and a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Airspire34
Reviewed 21 August 2008

My wife and I enjoyed our two night stay at the Oxford very much. I would say it is that rare sort of hotel where the luxury of the room décor surpasses that of the public areas. It was tempting to linger in the room just to enjoy the 19th century ambiance. The friendliness of the staff was exceptional, free computer stations with internet access an each floor were a nice plus, and the dining facilities were first-rate.
I remember this area of Denver from the 1950's when it was very run-down indeed. An added pleasure of a stay at the Oxford is that it gives easy access to the vibrant urban scene now found there.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Magister6
Reviewed 16 August 2008

We chose the Oxford based on its close proximitity to Union Station - (it is about 70 yards away). Our train from Sacramento was late and we were very relieved to be greeted by friendly staff who anticipated that we were guests and came out to greet us and to carry our luggage for the last 20 yards.

Check in was a breeze. The foyer is generous with a collection of 19th century paintings gracing the panelled walls. Our room was a nicely renovated turn of the century room - larger than the "normal" hotel room with all the modern amenities you expect. The bed was comfortable and we enjoyed a good night sleep.

Breakfast the next morning in the hotel dining room was excellent - generous servings of fresh food - you couldn't fault the service. The dining room had the same turn of the century theme, with dark wooded panelling. Coffee and cold water were available in the lobby for those in a hurry.

We asked and received a late check out - nothing was ever a problem. We received helpful advice regarding a walking tour of downtown Denver - (wow, has that city changed- for the better).

We enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel. If you are looking for a modern stainless steel and glass hotel - this is not for you. However, if you want to experience a renovated hotel with the all the history and character then the Oxford, with that genuine old fashioned hospitality would be a good choice.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Geddes_7
Reviewed 13 May 2008

The management supported there decision to let the Cleaning help start their cleaning of rooms next to me and the hallway at 7 in the morning. It's an old building, might look shinny but it's still not insullated from the surrounding rooms. Manager on duty was the least professional I've ever experienced.
You would be better off at any hotel on Colfax, at least you can get some sleep. Stay at the Ritz this place doesn't know the basic rules about running a hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank griffen9
Mhirano, Max Hirano, Director of Operations at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2008

Dear Griffen9:
Thank you for your candid feedback and for taking the time to express your concerns with The Oxford Hotel. We regret the inconvenience and frustration that your experience caused you. The Oxford Hotel has always been committed to achieving the highest standards of excellence in service, and on this particular occasion, we obviously fell short.

Our housekeeping staff is available to serve our guests between the hours of 8AM and 9PM. As a result of your feedback, we have spoken to our staff to ensure that they respect our guests’ privacy and adhere to this time frame.
Please accept an invitation to return to The Oxford Hotel as our guest. Our hope is that you will consider giving us a second chance. I am certain we can and will change your mind about The Oxford Hotel. We will provide you with a level service that far exceeds your expectations, the type of service that is representative of The Oxford.

Max Hirano
Director of Operations
(303) 628 5563

Reviewed 3 May 2008

My husband and I got married here almost 3 years ago, May 21, 2005. To this day, our friends will every once in a while just mention (without any prompting from us) how we threw the best wedding they've ever been to. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, the food was fantastic (especially the salmon) and the surroundings elegant.

We stayed in a Victorian deluxe room, and it was very spacious - large enough to provide plenty of getting ready space for me and my bridesmaids. I loved the antique bathroom, and the room was richly decorated, and it wasn't loud even though it was on 17th Street. The hotel surprised us by throwing in the "romance" package (see their website) so when we returned from our wedding, there was chilled champagne and a rose petal path to the bed.

The Cruise Room is world-class (it's modeled after a lounge on the Queen Mary), and the restaurant, which we've eaten at several times, is always delicious, and is also very elegant. I read one review that said it had a poor atmosphere - I can only guess that they went to the bar (which is in a separate room). The atmosphere in the bar isn't poor, but it isn't anything special.

The Oxford will always have a special place in my heart.

• Stayed: May 2005, travelled as a couple