“Perfect!”
Review of The Oxford Hotel

The Oxford Hotel
Ranked #5 of 160 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 16 November 2008

Came here for a quick trip to see a concert at Pepsi Center. Everything went off without a hitch, thanks to the easy check-in, helpful staff, and lovely offer for a ride to the concert in their complimentary town car. The Bellman overheard us trying to decide how to get to the concert and he quickly offered the ride and took our name down for an "appointment." Room was beautiful and bathroom was clean & up-to-date. We were reminded that this is a "historic" hotel and loved the quaint features that this characteristic offered us. Loved the computer alcove on our floor that had a printer for printing boarding passes too. The only down-point may have been the "historic" odor in our room which could have been masked by a candle if we'd brought one, but overall, this was a lovely hotel and I recommend it highly. Go to "Common Grounds" across the street for coffee and a light breakfast in the am or wine/beer in the pm, and McCormicks right next door for GREAT happy hour food, drinks and prices.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank nmtravelbug

Reviewed 25 September 2008

The Oxford Hotel is an old school gem located right in the heart of LoDo in downtown Denver. The staff are truly fantastic. The building is a treasure. The location is perfect. You are 3 blocks from Coors field. A block or two in any direction from numerous bars and restaurants. One block from Union Station. Mere blocks from the Pepsi Center and Mile High. Great place for a Denver getaway. Don't miss the classic Cruise Room off the lobby for a martini. A must. Repeat visitor. Would not stay anywhere else in Denver.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank cubuff1453
Reviewed 20 September 2008

I'm a little surprised by all of the negative comments. I stayed at the hotel because my work has a good rate with them, and almost didn't check out the reviews after I left because I thought they would all be glowing.

I greatly enjoyed my stay and would absolutely stay here again. The hotel just had a really good feel to it. My room and bathroom were huge. The furniture was a little old, but if you want all brand new stuff stay at a Westin instead of a historic hotel. The staff was great (although they gave me the wrong key at first). I also enjoyed the Cruise Room on the first floor, very neat place.

• Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank MrMash
Reviewed 13 September 2008

My wife and I recently stayed at this motel for several days. At over $200 a night, you would have expected the world. What you get is a musty, drafty room that's passed off as some ornate piece of restoration that is evidently too haute couture for a baboon like myself to understand. Throw in some pillows that felt like 40 pound potato sacks, no continental breakfast, "green" shower heads where the water comes out in a trickle, and you got yourself a piece of heaven. My advice. Find yourself a Holiday Inn Express for half the price, take the money you saved and go see a Rockies game.

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank LoveNeverDies
Reviewed 24 August 2008

Booked this through hotwire for $94. Couldn't have been better!!! It was a really nice clean room with a big bathroom. We came in for the Denver Broncos game and were very happy. It is right by the Union Station so it was easy to catch light rail to the game. Its also right down the street from coors field. The only bad thing about this hotel is no parking. You have to pay the valet or park at the union station. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank Bradly-James
Reviewed 22 August 2008

I stayed at the Oxford Hotel last week thinking it would be a nice getaway for my wife and I. I wish someone could have told me what this place is really like. Its nothing like the pictures you see online. Nothing. All the furniture is old and appears to be falling apart. We were checked in by an older gentleman who I believe was the manager. We arrived a little early and he seemed flustered that we were trying to check in early (1 hour early that is). He could not handle the phones going off and would not excuse himself to pick it up either. He was very rude and gave us a long story about how to use the key and sent us on our way as he quickly ran into what appeared to be his office. If this is a preview of the management I wonder what rest of the place is like. We got up to our guest room and were once again disappointed by the room. It smelled like old stale cigars and when we opened up the mini fridge there were 2 cockroaches inside. My wife and I decided to just leave the luggage and get out! We had already prepaid through Hotwire.Com if not we have demanded a refund and would have left without looking back. The only good thing I have to say about the Oxford is that its in a good location. LoDo is a great place to walk around in. And safe. We will never stay there again. Go down the street to Hotel Teatro for the same price and a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Airspire34
Reviewed 21 August 2008

My wife and I enjoyed our two night stay at the Oxford very much. I would say it is that rare sort of hotel where the luxury of the room décor surpasses that of the public areas. It was tempting to linger in the room just to enjoy the 19th century ambiance. The friendliness of the staff was exceptional, free computer stations with internet access an each floor were a nice plus, and the dining facilities were first-rate.
I remember this area of Denver from the 1950's when it was very run-down indeed. An added pleasure of a stay at the Oxford is that it gives easy access to the vibrant urban scene now found there.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple