“Not consistent service at this tired hotel”
Review of The Oxford Hotel

The Oxford Hotel
Ranked #5 of 159 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 19 May 2009

I really wanted to stay here after reading their website and viewing the photos on their website. It sounded delightful even if it was a bit pricey. I decided to book it for only 2 nights as that's all our budget would allow and then we'd move on elsewhere. The location is definitely good and it's nice to be able to workout at the gym nextdoor - that was great. However, all it takes is a bit of bad service to put a bad taste in someone's mouth. First of all we had to wait to be served at the checkin desk. That's not a problem if someone else is being served, etc. But the person behind the desk was just chatting with someone and didn't care that we were quietly waiting. After nearly 10 min my other half asked if someone could help us. The lady at the desk, not happy to have to work, claimed she had no record of my booking. I had the reference number and printout, etc. and then she suddenly located it. Phew! We got our room and were dismayed to see how old and dark the bathroom was! I can honestly say that our bathroom at the Super 8 was brighter and in better condition. The bedroom was very nice - with a Bose stereo. But my personal experience left me cold and put off, especially for the price.

Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 May 2009

Although the location is superb, the ambience leaves much to be desired. I was very disappointed upon check in when I noticed the old and worn area rugs that appeard to have been mopped and swept around for years. The bird cage near the check-in area was a nice touch, but the bird seeds (hopefully only birdseed) droppings were appeared to have only accumulated between check-in and check-out. The room did not appear to have been renovated since the 80's-90's. The night stands were falling apart, the linens were below sub-par and the decor....again, really dated. The sink/ vanity- too small for two travel bags and just dated. What else can I say. It was very disappointing. I would recommend spending my money elsewhere until a serious remodel and upgrading takes place.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Timeless09, Director of Operations at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2009

Thank you for your candid feedback. I apologize for your stay being less than satisfactory. One of our lobby rugs was purchased two months ago and the other one is a historic Persian rug that is serviced regularly but we will have our rug expert take a look at it. The canaries are tended to with great care every day with their cage being cleaned twice a day. Canaries can be quite messy. We are currently in the process of renovating all of our guest rooms and have twenty percent left to complete. It would be my pleasure to offer you a future complimentary night’s stay in one of our newly renovated rooms. Please feel free to contact me directly.
Michael O’Shea
Director of Operations.

Reviewed 13 April 2009

The Oxford is Denver’s oldest and most historic hotel. I have never stayed in a historic building before and was pleasantly surprised with the vintage charm and comfortable feel of the room.

HOTEL AND ROOM – Staff is friendly and efficient. We were assigned to Room #504 and enjoyed a view of 17th Street near Union Station. I am not sure what class level our room was (standard?). There is free “wireless” but we found that connecting to the iBAHN cord in the room made the Internet connection perfect.

Our room was quite spacious with antique styled furnishings – they appear to be old but not sure if they are truly antique or recreations. If you like brand new and ultra modern hotels, this is not the place for you. I agree with another poster who noted that some of the art has the old patina look to it.

The bathroom is small but had a European feel – it reminded me of a hotel in Venice so it actually brought back wonderful memories. It is of note that different rooms have larger bathrooms, so if you need a larger bathroom, you may wish to book an upgraded room. The shower head was absolutely wonderful and of sufficient height – not too short, not too tall. The corner shower worked just fine with hot and cold water and no drainage issues. Though the toiletries are not brand names like Aveda, I found the hotel brand to be of fine quality.

There is a lighted closet in the room with plenty of room. There isn’t a refrigerator in the room, though there is a bar refrigerator with sodas, juice, snacks and alcohol for purchase. Bar refrigerator shockingly had visible rust on the top and should be replaced.

I did not experience any squeaking or creaking wood floors as one poster mentioned. Since the hallways are wide and only a small amount of rooms per section, we did not hear noise from other guests exiting or entering their rooms. After the Rockies game, we heard yelling from people who were celebrating, but this was momentary.

Included with the room is coffee daily in the foyer of each floor and coffee/tea service in the lobby, liqueur service from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. daily, use of the Oxford Health Club and Fitness Center (see later in review), evening turn down, Lincoln Town Car for service to downtown areas, and show shine service. Water with slices of limes and oranges is also available in the lobby later in the day.

For those of you wishing to pick up some bottled water or other groceries, there is a King Soopers Grocery Store on Wewatta behind Union Station – the hotel driver can probably take you there since it is very close.

The elevator changes its rug each day to reflect the day of the week. When it comes to a stop, there is a little jolt – I believe the elevator is probably of an older style as it appears as the owners have tried to keep the facility as close to original as possible.

Notable hotel guests at The Oxford include the Clintons, the Dalai Lama, Robert Redford, Lauren Bacall, and other entertainers and ambassadors (according to the downloadable PDF on the hotel website).

LOCATION - As other posters have noted, the location of the hotel is close to many things like Coors Stadium, the Pepsi Center, the historic Union Station (light rail), the 16th Street Mall, City Lights Pavilion, Denver Performing Arts Complex, and the Colorado Convention Center. I would even venture to say for those baseball fans that The Oxford is “the” closest hotel to Coors Stadium.

Denver is one of the most well planned areas I have ever experienced. There is a free 16th Street Mall Bulls that takes you from Union Station to the RTD Civic Center Station. Along the almost 15 blocks on both sides of the 16th Street Malls, there are lots of restaurants, shops, and attractions. These include Cheesecake Factory, ESPN Zone, Johnny Rockets, Corner Bakery, PF Chang’s, Delectable Egg, Rock Bottom, Hard Rock Café, many coffee shops (Starbuck’s Dazbog Coffee, Ink Coffee, Caribou, Coffee, Etc), and the list goes on and on. More information about the downtown area can be found at: www.downtowndenver.com

FITNESS CENTER AND SPA – This facility is two doors down from the hotel’s main entrance when walking towards Union Station. There are beauty products for sale when you first walk in, and if you are interested in fitness, you would go down the stairs to the work out rooms. To the right of the stair landing is the large exercise studio with wood flooring for yoga and dance. To the left is the cardiovascular area to include treadmill and elliptical machines (about 10 different pieces of equipment). Another set of stairs then leads below to the free weight room.

The equipment offered at the fitness center is much more than a typical hotel, and those serious about exercise would be pleasantly surprised at what is available. Also, the number of classes offered daily includes at least three, so there are ample opportunities to participate in physical activity in a variety of ways.

I did not eat at McCormick’s, nor did I try the Cruise Bar or room service. The two things that stand out the most about this hotel are the location and the wonderful staff working there. For us, The Oxford Hotel was a wonderful part of our downtown Denver experience.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VegasBling
Reviewed 20 March 2009

First, I am not easily impressed by pomp, circumstance and lavish amenities. As the general manager of a property, I see through all that and learn to appreciate the small things.

The Oxford and her staff do a fine job in providing a place to come 'home' after a day full of meetings. Each time I walked through the door I was welcomed by a staff member, a smile and a warm greeting.

Check-in was efficient and they took the time to explain the nuances of the 'old lady'. Housekeeping was superb, I would be proud to have the person tending my room to come work for me. I only saw one room attendant, as she was getting ready to turn the room down for the evening. She was congenial, polite and attentive.

I enjoyed the Cruise Lounge, and especially appreciated the young man that worked the night that I arrived (Jeff). He carried on four different conversations with different patrons and treated them all with respect and grace. He remembered me two days later and remembered what my preference was, greeting me with a hand shake and a smile.

The Oxford is a GRAND Old Lady, the staff honors her with a caring hand, a sense of pride that they work there and truly take ownership of the small part that they can play in making the guest feel welcome. My hats off to the Management team for supporting your staff and making it obviously a great place to work. My appreciation to all for making this General Manager's experience a relaxing treat.

The location was perfect for walking around the Downtown district. I regretfully have to say, I did not get the chance to try the restaurant, because I travelled around the corner to a brew pub - like hand crafted beers and was not disappointed.

I love architectural detail, the restoration of this hotel, and the attention to detail when providing modern conveniences with-in the constraints of maintaining the integrity of the original architecture did not go un-noticed.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank TMIManager
Reviewed 21 February 2009

A recent stay at the Oxford reminded me that sometimes the anonymous chains do have their merits.
While the service was excellent, the rooms and amenities were less so.
I had an early morning flight to catch and found to my immense irritation at 5am that the cold water tap in my bathroom simply did not function. The hot water was scalding, leaving me with no option but to wash by the sink.
Room 214.
Just made an otherwise lovely trip, very sub-par. Not acceptable for business travel.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2009

We stayed two nights in the hotel at the end of our ski trip. The location was great,,near the Mall where all the restaurants and shops are located. It's also near the Pepsi Center and the hotel has a free courtesy car to take you to local places. Parking and Breakfast ($30) was included in our package, which was great. The staff were really friendly, the room was great and the bed was really big, free coffee was served in the corridor every morning, there were free computers with laptops to use (we checked our e-mails and arranged our plane seats home). The bell boys, one who was 76 years old, were really helpful and knowledgeable. We could not think of a better hotel to stay in and will definitely stay here again the next time we are in Denver.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 19 January 2009

The Oxford is a beautiful stately hotel, where service abounds.
Doors are opened, luggage wisked away, and wine glasses are brought up by gloved staff.
There is a town car at your service, and smiles on all the staff. Orange Water is available by day, and Cognac by night.

Tragically, The Oxford cheaps out when it comes to details, and therefore doesn't live up to what it should be.

Several items made our stay less then perfect. For one, our "bathroom" didn't have a bath. When I stay at a hotel as this, I like to have the butler drawn bath. Our "deluxe" room had a corner for the entire powder room, which contained the tiniest shower area with a $2 shower curtain that didn't contain the water. All my makeup became sopping wet, and beyond usable-quite the costly mistake.
The shower itself had little water pressure ( surprised it did all that damage), and couldn't hold the water temperature. One minute it was freezing cold, hot the next. I also hit my head terribly on the soap holder, as the placement was terrible.

Where other hotels in it's class had Aveda or Bvlgari products, Oxford had no name, and very limited bath products.
The hairdryer was the cheapest 1250 watt dryer, with only a HOT setting-- even the basic Marriots have 1875 dryers with cool settings.

The worst EEK moment, was getting into bed, and finding stains.
Body fluid stains that didn't come out in the wash.....that was by far worse then the huge ink stain on the comforter.

I guess I expect more from a hotel like this.
For the same money, stay at The Teatro - Wow, now that's a hotel !!!!

Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank DaScubaLady
timeless69, Director of Operations at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2009

Dear, DaScuba lady,

Thank you for your candid feedback. When I first read this review, it was difficult to believe that it was a review of The Oxford, as we always take great pride in every aspect of our hotel. We appreciate the opportunity to improve. Encountering stains on the bedding is unacceptable to us as well. We have addressed this deficiency with our housekeeping staff. We are currently in the process of renovating all of our guestrooms, which include many rooms with deep soaking and over-sized tubs with complimentary Bath Butler service and have only 25% left to complete. We would love to have you as our guest again, to experience one of our beautiful rooms. Please feel free to contact me directly to experience all our property has to offer.
Michael O’Shea, Director of Operations