“Amazing staff, incredible room and great location”
Review of The Oxford Hotel

The Oxford Hotel
Ranked #4 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Aspen, Colorado
“Amazing staff, incredible room and great location”
Reviewed 10 January 2011

I've never written a TripAdvisor review before, but our stay was so wonderful I had to write about it. The room we had originally booked was overbooked, so we were upgraded to the Presidential Suite. The suite was absolutely amazing and the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We had casually mentioned at check-in that we were in town for my birthday celebration and when we got into the room we found a hand-made card signed by all of the front desk staff accompanied by a bottle of champagne. I've stayed at quite a few hotels in this price range (and higher), but have never received the level of personalized attention and service we experienced here. The hotel was also within walking distance of everything we wanted to do in Denver. I can't say enough good things about our experience at the Oxford. I would highly recommend it to anyone and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Timeless09, Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2011
Dear Guest,

We are so pleased you enjoyed your birthday celebration with us in our Presidential Suite, Thank you for sharing your experience and highlighting our great staff. They are masters at uncovering information to help personalize your visit and make it special. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 9 January 2011

decor was charming, lots of old wood furniture with very good amenities and attention to service. Loved that they put rose petals on our bed and chilled sparkling wine on our table for our anniversary.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We value your business and continually strive to be the best in our industry. We have an amazing staff that truly knows how to deliver personalized service. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 14 December 2010

I live in downtown Denver. When my friends and family visit I always get them a room at the Oxford. The hotel is historic and beautiful and the staff is first rate!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Timeless09, Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and kind words. We take great pride in our hotel and our wonderful staff. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 16 November 2010

The Oxford Hotel is in a great area in LoDo with great restaurants within walking distance. The staff went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and everything was done with a smile. The car was always there, coffee service on each floor and the bar (the Cruise Room) is a classic.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Timeless09, Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for taking the time to write your review. It is our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to having you back in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly for any assistance with future stays.

Chattanooga
Reviewed 14 November 2010

The Oxford is SO much better than comparable high-end hotels. Service and staff are outstanding, and amenities including town car rides, Internet, morning coffee, fitness club, and even PRINTING are FREE! The 80 or so rooms are quiet and full of character, and I felt cocooned here during my three-day stay. This intimate spa hotel will definitely be my choice on my next visit to Denver.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Seattle
Reviewed 7 November 2010

I made a reservation at this hotel so I could whisk my college daughter away for some R& R. She requested a room with a tub, after 2 months in a dorm with ony a shower. Reservations assured me no problem and I reserved a room with a claw foot tub. When we arrived we checked in and had a beautiful room with..... an amazing shower. Back down to front desk who apologized and gave us a different room. When we opened the door the room appeared to be occupied, we were horrified and scurried back to the front desk who were embarrassed, appalled and so apologetic. After a cold drink in the lobby. the front desk manager met us to explain some how the room had not been cleaned. He told us he wanted to make it up to us and escorted us to an upgraded corner room, however it would be $100.00 off the standard room price each night, he had bath salts for our clawfoot tub delivered , gave us a certificate for breakfast in bed the next morning and a cold bottle of wine was delivered immediately. Every time we stopped by the front desk they apologized, we finally told them to please stop apologizing we were having a great time. The room was beautiful, service was amazing and when I return I'm hoping for another little mistake so we can reap the beneifts again, though with such great service, I won't count on it:)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and share your experience with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the mix up with the room. I am glad that the staff made it an even better experience for you and your daghter. We look forward to having you back for a future visit.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 5 November 2010

In short I found the physical plant disappointing. However, to a person the bellmen and the desk clerks were outstanding.

Selected this boutique hotel in "LoDo" Denver while attending a large convention at the Colorado Convention Center.

The Oxford is Denver's oldest hotel. It is within easy walking distance of great restaurants, Union Station, and Coors Field. Their website describes the hotel as "plush" which the lobby is but the room we had was not.

After spending an hour of fruitless searching downtown for the "destination on the left" according to Droid Google Navigation we finally stopped for directions. Our "destination" was actually a half block away on the RIGHT (just a word of warning to those using this navigation system this wasn't the only time our "destination" was on the opposite side of the road in Denver!)

Arrived rather late - after 9pm feeling rather frustrated and harried. We were met by two friendly valet/ bellmen that assisted us with our multitude of bags and whisked our car away as there was no street parking due to a baseball game downtown.

The lobby was small but all polished marble and antique furniture. The couple ahead of us at the registration desk had four children. In short order the little boy had used the intricate carvings on the marble registration desk as toe holds and climbed all the way to the top. Demonstrating remarkable restraint, the clerk only commented, "Look at you! How did you get ALL THE WAY UP HERE?"

When it was finally our turn to register the desk clerk offered bottled water by way of apology for the lengthy wait. The room was over $200 per night and given how plush the lobby was and the length of our stay; I expected more for the money. There was a problem with one of the keys not working. We were told management would make us a new key that night but such was not the case. As we had separate destinations for the next day one of us always had to get an employee to let us into the room.

We found the room to be tiny ("art deco room" 250 sq ft) and overlooked an alley. The dresser was scarred and scratched. Our room, except for the large plasma TV was nothing like what is pictured on the Oxford Website. Although clean, the sheets had holes in them. The biggest irritant was that during our stay Denver was experiencing a late "heat wave." When we arrived in our room it was hot and stuffy. We turned the air down and went to dinner. Upon return, the room was still hot and stuffy. I called the desk to complain and instead of management coming to check the situation they sent the poor bellman up to deal with the disgruntled guests. The bellman recognized the room was as stuffy as it was when we arrived. Being as powerless to fix the situation as we were, all he could recommend was a fan and the opening of the window. He brought us a bucket of complimentary ice and bottled water. We were told we were the only ones to complain but I find this hard to believe. I checked the thermostats on the other floors and found them all about the same temp as our room, if they were on at all.

Coffee service is only available near the elevators on each floor until 1100 am each day. I missed the coffee one day and commented to the bellman that I was off in search of my morning brew. He immediately offered to go to the back and bring me a complimentary beverage.

I would recommend this hotel (largely because of the staff) if someone had a need to be in that particular area of LoDo i.e. easy access to Union Station or Coors Field. Otherwise better and less expensive hotels are closer to the Denver Convention Center

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Timeless09, Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2010
Dear valued guest, Thank you for your candid response. I appreciate your feedback on both the positive and negative issues you experienced. I apologize for your room not meeting your expectations. It seems we failed you on many levels which we take very seriously.
We do have many different room types that I believe would better suit your needs in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly to allow us another chance to serve you in the true Oxford way.