“Another Westin that doesn't disappoint...” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Westin Denver Downtown
Ranked #29 of 154 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersBronze level
Irving, Texas
“Another Westin that doesn't disappoint...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

This place is great! Right on the 16th Street mall, short walk to the CC, clean and quiet. I have really come to love the Westin brand, and Starwood in general, and this stay just further solidified that stance. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

From the doorman to check-in to maid to bar and restaurant, this is the kind of service that makes Westin so good. One couldn't find a better run hotel anywhere. I salute the people who work here, they are truly professional.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in late August. The property is very well located right by the 16th street mall, and is quite acceptable if you are expecting a spacious, "renovated some time ago" room with a good bed, a spacious bathroom with a lot of counter space, and in our case, a good price too. Also appreciate the free Starbucks coffee in the room. However, the property falls short in the following areas.

Customer Service

I had emailed 24 hours prior to our arrival to request a room on a high floor (to avoid the street level noise reported by other Tripadvisor travellers). Upon check-in, there was no record of my request. Fortunately, they accommodated my request on the spot - but luck may have been a factor there.

Concierge

The concierge service - or lack of - is also seriously lacking at this hotel. At the outset, the concierge's hours are not indicated anywhere on his/her desk. Facing an empty concierge desk on Sunday (the day after our arrival when we wanted to make plans for the next few days), I was informed by the front desk staff that there is no concierge service on Sundays!

While the front desk person said that she was "trained" to assist us, she was not able to help with what I thought were pretty basic requests (ie, reservations for US Mint and car rental information). I finally told her not to bother since it was clear that I would have to make phone calls myself (using phone numbers that I already had) and incur local call charges from my room (another area where Westin hotels generally fall short). She said that the hotel could eventually reverse my "self concierge" charges but that seemed way too complicated.

I decided to see the concierge the next day instead. I showed up at 9:30 am. No concierge. Front desk indicated he/she would be on duty at 10 am. At 10:20 am still no concierge. Showed up again around 5 - still no concierge. Told "she's just away for a few minutes". (Why this can't be posted on the desk is beyond me). I made do with the front desk services instead - but was not fully satisfied with the outcome (I don't like to be told to make online reservations myself).

Call me picky, but I think a "world class" Starwood hotel in a major urban location hosting large conventions should have adequate concierge services. This hotel falls short of the mark in that respect. Big time.

No extras

The property also falls short in terms of offering "extras". For example, there are no bathrobes in the room, no fan in the bathroom, and no extra amenities beyond soap, moisturizer, shampoo, and conditioner (eg. no shower cap, sewing kit) and no newspaper at your door. The facecloths also sit right on the counter (not in a basket with the shampoo etc..) which gives the the bathroom a "no frills" look associated with less upscale hotels.

Although this did not apply to us, I hear that the hotel also levies hefty Internet and parking charges. Yet more examples about "lack of extras" from the Westin chain (not just this property).

(Note to self: Ask to be reminded about the benefits of being a Starwood member, because they're not obvious from the above!).

Last, I would have gladly shared these comments with Westin staff during my stay. However, nobody asked how our stay was when we checked out, nor did I see any comment cards anywhere (yet another example of lacklustre service). So I'm posting my comments on Tripadvisor instead!

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who can get it at a very good price - but not expect any "perks" and services associated with the Westin brand name.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Franny67
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

Perfect location and great beds. Great service. I would stay there anytime again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

The Westin is in great location for walking around Denver. Room comfort is very nice with the best of comfy bedding to rest after hiking. Everyone is courteous and helpful at this location - as you would expect from Westin. Using the valet parking worked for me, but one should be prepared with knowledge of that additional cost ($28). I think the self parking fee is $19 - but then your car is safe. If you have it packed with camping gear you won't have to worry.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

I stayed at the Westin Denver for eight weeks on business and enjoyed my stay in the first half much better than the second half due to the inconsistency of the rooms. During the second half, I ran into issues like rooms like smelled like cigarettes (even though it's a non-smoking hotel) and rooms that were not thoroughly cleaned (hair on towels). Despite the inconsistent room situations, I thought it was a great hotel with convenient location (lots of restaurants within short walking distance), adequate work out facilities (you can pay $10 for day access to Colorado club next door if you want a fully equipped gym) and friendly service.

Room Tip: Get to know front desk staff and call in before check in to get on the waitlist for a room on the 18...