“Not worth the money”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We had stayed at a W before and loved it. Since this was also a Starwood hotel, we thought we'd give it a try. The building is very old and out dated. Underneath the white tea & aloe scent (that can only really be sensed near the lobby) was the smell of very old, stale smoke that lives in the walls and carpets. The hotel staff was mediocre in service, not at all warm and inviting. While the furniture in the room was very nice, the bathroom was old and dingy with dirty grout everywhere. The "heavenly bed" felt more like a box with springs and it had our family tossing and turning all night. Would not stay there again for the price we paid. The only 2 benefits of staying there had nothing to do with the hotel at all. 1) There is a Starbucks on the lower level and 2) it is in a great location. That is the only reason it is getting 3 stars, otherwise...it's a 2 all the way.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Adriana L
JulieR1012, Manager at The Westin Denver Downtown, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear Adriana,

I sincerely apologize for the impression our hotel has left upon you. I am glad you enjoyed the Westin White Tea scent upon arrival. When Breathe Westin was introduced six years ago the Westin Denver was happy to join the commitment of providing a healthy smoke-free environment to our guests. I agree that our lower lobby Starbucks is a nice amenity for our guests, as well as our location and proximity to LoDo, Larimer Square, Pepsi Center, Coors Field and Sports Authority. I would welcome any personal communication you would like to offer in the way of constructive feedback. Please feel free to e-mailing me @ julie.rhodes@westin.com.

Thank you for your time and once again, I do apologize that our hotel was not what you hoped it would be.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We stayed at this property for New Year's Eve as wanted to be downtown for the festivities and fireworks. While this is a nice property, certainly fits the Westin standards, it is not as grand as the property would have you believe. Many rooms have been updated and are relatively spacious, especially for an older downtown property, but the amenities leave a bit to be desired. This includes: in-room amenities (no little extras like cotton swabs, sewing kit, etc. that most Westin's are known to have), no usable space in fridge (stocked with their expensive items that are charged to the room if you move them), and a charge for internet (unless at a certain SPG level); and amenities of the hotel - the bar and restaurant are nothing to even vaguely brag about.

Room Tip: Do not allow yourself to end up in a room ending in "28." They are right behind the eleva...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank corbyandjen
Dear corbyandjen,
Thank you so much for your feedback. I agree we have a wonderful location for participating in the many New Year’s Eve festivities Downtown Denver has to offer. This year’s fireworks were spectacular! The Westin standard for in-room amenities has changed and items like cotton swabs, sewing kits, and toiletries are available at the front desk. I apologize that the new refreshment centers do not have room for personal items. We do have refrigerators available for guests who require them. In adition, we offer complimentary internet in our Lobby and Entrance Level Lobby near Starbuck’s but do follow Starwood and Westin standards of charging for this service in our guest rooms. If you would like to interact with me further regarding your experience please feel free to contact me at julie.rhodes@westin.com.

Julie Rhodes, Executive Assistant to Tom Curley, Area Managing Director
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Excellent location in the heart of Downtown Denver, on the 16th Street Mall - walking distance to just about anything, and close to the LoDo area. The room was very large, comfortable and clean. My complaint is the lack of on-site facilities: the lobby restaurant/bar closes early - husband and I arrived late in the evening and wanted a nightcap before going to bed, but the bar was closed at 11 p.m. And, the lobby restrooms were locked at this time too - the front desk manager had to call facilities to open them. Denver kind of rolls up the sidewalks on weekday evenings, so we had a hard time finding anything open at that hour. Breakfast is supposed to be served daily but again the restaurant was not open on one of the mornings we were there. There's a Starbucks in the lobby, but that's about it. Also, there is no gift shop on site to pick up any of those last-minute necessities you might have forgotten. Overall - OK for the price we paid: we got a deal through Denver's Mile High Holidays program and were satisfied. Granted that it was Christmas week, I still expect onsite services to be available at a hotel of this caliber. I would (and did) choose another hotel next time.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RockDiva
ChuckShruringa, Manager at The Westin Denver Downtown, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
Dear RockDiva,
Thank you so much for the gift of feedback. I agree with you, our location and proximity to LoDo, Larimer Square, Pepsi Center, Coors Field and Sports Authority Field is a fantastic amenity for locals and visitors to Denver such as yourself. Your experiences are definitely not what we would want any of our guests to have. I am not certain exactly when you stayed with us, but our hotel follows all Westin guidelines for hours of operation in our Restaurant and Lounge and our In Room Dining facilities are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week to provide you with Food and Beverage options should you wish to dine in your guest room. Since we are a downtown hotel, we do, as a security precaution, lock our lobby restrooms upon close of our lounge to discourage non-guests of the hotel using them. I am glad that you found value in the price you paid and would be happy to discuss this further should you wish to. Please e-mail me at Julie.rhodes@starwoodhotels.com
Julie Rhodes, Executive Assistant to Tom Curley, Area Managing Director
Normanton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We spent the last night of our vacation here before flying back to the UK. The welcome was half hearted, the bathroom sink wouldn't empty, the bath wouldn't fill and the lock on my daughters door stuck so we had to call maintenance, I realise that stuff happens but as these prices.... We stayed at a hotel half the price on the way out and it was twice as good. The location on 16th street Mall doesn't justify the attitude.

• Stayed December 2011
ChuckShruringa, Manager at The Westin Denver Downtown, responded to this review, 31 December 2011
Dear sn0wandice,
I am so sorry your recent experience at our hotel did not meet your expectations. It definitely sounds as if our staff did not great you with the enthusiasm you expected, for that I apologize. I would also like to investigate more thoroughly your maintenance concerns as we do have a very intensive preventative maintenance program and I am alarmed that these items missed our engineering teams’ inspection. If you are comfortable doing so, please feel free to e-mail me directly at chuck.schuringa@westin.com. Once again, I am so sorry that these things happened to you and hope to speak with you soon.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 December 2011

My wife and I stayed here for my company's Christmas party. The party was great, food was delicious, bar service was great as well. No problems whatsoever with the event.

The room was very clean, comfortable bed, great view of Denver. The bathroom could use updating, but this didn't really bother us. We were on the end of the floor so we didn't have any problems with noise and didn't hear anyone in the room next to us (don't know if it was empty or not).

The only negative was the breakfast buffet in the morning at the Augusta restaurant. Luckily we had a coupon for 50% off, but it was still overpriced for the soggy eggs and minimal selection. It did it's job though, and the coffee was amazing.

Overall, this place was a good hotel at a good price. I would recommend it for business travel or leisure if staying in downtown Denver.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear CD1982,
I am so glad you enjoyed your recent stay here at The Westin Denver Downtown. We do have quite a few Holiday Parties in November and December as our views of Skyline Park are simply outstanding and provide a very festive background for parties, especially with the ice skating rink in our back yard. I am very sorry that the Breakfast Buffet did not meet your expectations and will ensure our culinary and service teams do a better job in refreshing it more frequently so all guests can enjoy a fresh presentation. Please feel free to contact me personally should you have any more questions or wish to speak with me further: chuck.schuringa@westin.com
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Whenever I come to Denver on business, I request to stay in the Westin; I've tried some of the more boutique hotels, and even the Marriott Courtyard on the 16th Street Mall (wouldn't stay there again), and nothing surpasses the Westin.

Firstly, you can't beat the location. It's right at the Mall and close to Larimer Square. Everything is within walking distance, and it's such a lovely area.

Secondly, the staff is always congenial and accommodating. I never have a problem checking in at 11am.

Thirdly, there is a Starbucks in the lobby with - again - friendly and helpful staff.

When I travel for pleasure, I never pay rates like this (about $189/nt.), because I don't spend enough time in a hotel room to pay those kinds of prices. When I'm in town for business, however, I won't stay anywhere else. I highly recommend this hotel, as I've never experienced anything less than a stellar stay (I've been there around 4x).

Room Tip: If you can snag a King instead of two Doubles, do it - there's more room to walk around, and you...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Dear morganaus,
WOW! What a wonderful review! Thank you so much for your kind words. I agree, we have an excellent location, great staff and comfortable rooms that exceed expectations. We post reviews such as yours to further encourage and motivate our staff to take care of great guests just like you. I look forward to your next visit and please send me a note the next time you come to Denver: chuck.schuringa@westin.com

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 15 December 2011

I have stayed at a number of hotels in downtown Denver for both business and pleasure, and on my most recent trip I stayed at the Downtown Westin. For the price point, this Westin is heads above the other downtown hotels in its class. The location in the Tabor Center is hard to beat - Palm Restaurant and Starbucks in the lobby, the best of Lodo right out the front door. This Westin does justice to the Starwood brand - large and recently renovated rooms and bathrooms, comfy beds, flat screen tvs, mountain views. My only recommendations are that (1) the hotel should offer free wireless internet to guests and (2) that the hotel could improve its restaurant (where I admittedly only ate breakfast) - the food was great (albeit, as you would expect, overpriced), but the oversized tables are awkward and the decor is nothing to write home about. All and all, a very satisfying stay.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Dear DFWgal,
Thank you for your kind words and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I agree, our hotel is wonderful and has the best location of any hotel in Denver. We do offer complimentary internet in our Lobby and Entrance Level Lobby near Starbuck’s but do follow Starwood and Westin standards of charging for this service in our guest rooms. If you would like to interact with me further regarding your experience please feel free to contact me at chuck.schuringa@westin.com