“Wonderful Birthday suprise for my niece - Staff went over the top!!”

The Westin Denver Downtown
Ranked #29 of 158 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Westin Denver Downtown is my favorite hotel to stay in Denver! That is saying alot because I work in the hotel business and travel A LOT! In May I took my neice for her 15th birthday. I sent a note to the staff letting them know I had a birthday girl and when I arrived to the hotel I discovered we were upgraded to a BEAUTIFUL top floor suite with french doors and panoramic views of Denver. My neice was in heaven! Then the doorbell rang and room service delivered an amenity for her with izzy pops, gummy bears and other great treats that a 15 year old would love. The staff also signed a card addressed to the Birthday girl. She thought I arranged all these things for her & you made ME look like a SUPERSTAR Aunt. I told her the staff did this on there own and she was highly impressed. Thank you for everything! Also I love the new westin weekends with the late checkout on Sunday. Awesome!

Room Tip: Let them know if it's a special occasion upon booking and check in!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nicole W
Marc B, Manager at The Westin Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you Superstar Aunt for the great review! Glad your Niece had a great time at the Westin Denver Downtown and a birthday she will probably remember forever. Glad the Westin could play a part in making it memorable.

Hope to see you again soon, thank you for your loyalty.

Best,

There are newer reviews for The Westin Denver Downtown

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I've stayed here befor for a week. This trip was unfortunately only one night. It was excellent as usual. Staff was efficient and friendly. Room was sparkling clean. Love the "rain" showerhead and the hand held nozzle. King bed was as comfortable as home which is very unusual in a hotel and probably the most important feature. Two thumbs up!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank JeromeKrehbiel

Dear JeromeKrehbiel,

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I'll start my review with the good stuff: I was pleased when I saw the room. IT was spacious and nicely decorated and even after staying there for 4 nights, the bed was VERY comfortable. Now to the problems: My room window was near the 4th floor pool, which I don't recommend. Every night there was a party outside my windows until wee hours of the morning—I tried to call the front desk to complain the first night but no answer and I just wanted to go back to sleep so let it go. On night #2 I decided to try to text the front desk, it took awhile but eventually that worked and on night #3, the party dispersed by 2am–maybe the security figured it out? Also, because of the altitude, I started to get a migraine on day #1 and had forgotten my ibuprofen, so called the front desk to see if they had some I could buy—again no answer—but texted and someone came to my door with Tylenol (doesn't work) and said that is all he could find...so I had to venture out without being able to see (ie migraine) to the local drugstore a few blocks away–no buggy if you can see, but seriously I would have paid $20 for one pill to not have to do that. This also happened later in the middle of the night when I needed some tums (damn altitude!) and again they had nothing (and Walgreen's was closed) so I suffered through. Really?! not even tums?! You'd think that a hotel of this caliber could at least keep a little pain reveler on deck. After having such a bad night—staring out the window listening to the party. I noticed that there were hand prints and LARGE FEET prints all over the inside of the windows. EW! That got me thinking about how clean that room really was. There is so much more that was terrible. I decided to take a morning swim in their really nice indoor/outdoor lap pool, but was kicked out (at 8am) because the security guard needed to put chlorine in the pool. AT 7:30 am!!! That’s when most folks go for a swim. In the am before their day starts. Can’t they do that when the pool is closed at 11pm? I’m not even sure if he put up a sign to warn people not to get in for a while until the chlorine subsides…AND my eyes were burning as it was.

The restaurant THE PALM. TERRIBLE and expensive. The service was great but the food was really really bad. Like a Denny’s! I ordered one of my (usual) favorite dishes linguini and clams. The pasta was swimming in a watery soup-not sauce, which tasted like they just poured wine on it. The pasta was overcooked but still tasted stale (not al dente or fresh) and the clams had no flavor, like it was frozen AND the dish was $28!! I was really hoping the at least the restaurant would be worth staying at that hotel. To add insult to injury, when I was checking out they actually tried to charge me for the phone calls to the front desk—the ones they didn’t answer! And as soon as I got home, I found out I was charged twice for the room! I didn’t realize that my company had paid before I got there, so when I checked out they had the bill, which I paid again.

Never again! I’m complaining to the company, too that this place is a scam!

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 5th floor close to the pool! Get higher up rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank An R

Dear An R,

Reviewed 6 June 2014

My organization held a 3-day conference at this hotel last month. The 200+ guests all raved about the food and the accommodations were very high quality. All staff members were friendly, accessible, and responsive. It is a big help to have an on-site AV provider and they saved the day more than once. The meeting spaces worked very well for our purposes and everything went incredibly smoothly. Special thanks to our events contact at the Westin and to the lead banquets staff member. Many of our guests had food allergies or restrictions, and having the food labeled was extremely helpful, as were the special accommodations made for one member of our group who is celiac. A great hotel all around!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Marc B, Manager at The Westin Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you HmarieR87 for the comments regarding your group stay in May. Glad that you found the team helpful, especially in accommodating many special meals. Thank you for the comments regarding PSAV as well, glad they were able to save the day!

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here for the second part of our baby moon in July, 2013. After coming from the Vail Cascade Resort, this hotel was quite different. It was clean, modern in decor and accessed a bunch of shops and restaurants. The location was fantastic. There is a little pizza vendor right outside the hotel and it had possibly some of the best pizza we have ever had.

On the flip side, one of the guys at the front desk was extremely annoying and had a bit of a pretentious vibe going... that is NOT okay in the hospitality industry. He scoffed at my Starwood Resort friends and family letter and referral from a relative of mine and made it a point to tell me that the letter was printed out wrong and that he did not have to accept it if he did not want to and acted like it was a huge inconvenience. Internet was not complimentary despite us paying a resort fee.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank volleyb22

Hello Volleyb22,
thank you for the comments regarding your stay last year. Glad you found the hotel modern and clean and in a location that suited your needs. We are very close to everything in the downtown area. I am sorry for the encounter you had while at the front desk and would be happy to discuss this further, my email is marc.blackford@westin.com . Would also like to review your bill as we do not have any resort fees at our hotel, nor have we in the past.

Best,

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Right off the Larimar square and in the heart of downtown Denver. Exactly what you would expect from a Westin hotel. Some nice views of the snow capped mountain ranges off in the distance. There is also a Palm Steakhouse within the hotel which has amazing food.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Tony R
Marc B, Manager at The Westin Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you trenello for the review. Glad to hear your stay went so well. The Westin sure does have great views of the mountains, glad you were able to enjoy. The Palm does a great job, thank you for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a few nights for a business trip and was pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean, had a beautiful view for a budget room, and haf some cool little gimmicks like "pay $5 and get a pair of running shoes and a workout outfit for the exercise room". It was within walking distance of most of the coolest restaurants and bars in downtown denver. I would definitely stay here again

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank travelmaniac33

Thank you travelmaniac33 for the review. Hope you were able to enjoy the Gear Lending program we offer, great use of $5 and best part is the fact you don't have to pack the extra items! Glad you enjoyed your experience and hope to see you again soon.