“Good Location; Bad, Everything Else”

The Westin Denver Downtown
Ranked #29 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester, Vermont
“Good Location; Bad, Everything Else”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I've stayed here three times in the last several months while house hunting in Denver and my husband has stayed here 10 days/month for more than a year. Were the location not so ideal (close to his corporate HQ, with a corporate discount), he would have changed lodging facilities long ago. The hotel is worn, bathrooms dingy and dated, and the staff exhibits some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced. Even though my husband stays there frequently and for extended periods, they never recognize him upon check-in, never smile and say, 'Welcome back Mr. XYZ', never remember that he's a Starwood member. When I was there in May I needed to mail a card to a friend who'd lost a loved one. I asked at the desk if I could buy a stamp and got a very brusque, 'No. We are out of stamps." Then the employee saw his manager come out of the back office and straightened a little. He asked his manager if he had stamps and the man said yes (he was much more personable). I gave the employee a dollar to pay for the stamp and when he opened his drawer to give me change, voila, there lay an entire roll of stamps. His manager said, "You should pay more attention to what's in your drawer," but I got the feeling that wasn't the point. I'm sure the employee knew the stamps were in there, he just didn't care to get one for me. Still, I stamped the card and handed him to him to post, told him it was important--a friend had lost a loved one. He nodded and said he would get it out. I just learned my friend never received the card. Coincidence? Seems unlikely. If you read my prior posts you'll see that I'm not a critical, whining reviewer. I tend to give people and establishments the benefit of the doubt. But after months of poor service (the stamp/letter is just one example), I felt compelled to give travelers a heads up. If you are thinking of staying here, don't expect the hotel to offer service or amenities in keeping with the Westin brand. It has a good location, nothing more.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Marc B, Manager at The Westin Denver Downtown, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
2doglove,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of. I can be reached directly at marc.blackford@westin.com and would like to have a chance to speak with you.

Marc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Moscow, ID
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed here for a few nights to attend a conference. Located on the 16th St pedestrian mall, so it was a nice area to walk, which I enjoy. The room was a nice size and nicely furnished. Comfortable king size bed. Two large chairs with an ottoman. Desk with chair. Bench to sit on along the large window. City view (7th floor). Window had nice screened shades and very good blackout drapes. In room coffee was Starbucks. All of the staff people were very nice and helpful.

Missing: no guest services guide so didn't have room service menu or information about things like fitness room location, business services, etc. No shampoo, so I had to buy some at a drugstore. Slow internet connection. The floor had crumbs all over and the hallway was similarly littered with crumbs, etc. It needed to be vacuumed and it was the next day, but it makes a bad impression to have a hotel this nice that doesn't keep up with basic cleaning.

Almost very nice fitness center with treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, weight machine. However, no internet connection in the fitness room >:( The TV screens on the cardio machines are small and poor quality, so you had better bring your own entertainment to keep you occupied while you work out. This is a deal breaker for me, because the fitness component is very important, but I need to have something to watch. Pool looked nice; you could swim through an opening to the outside, where there was plenty of room to do other fitness activities.

Overall, this was nice for a conference hotel but they really fell down on some of the basics. Otherwise I would have rated it higher.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Marc B, Manager at The Westin Denver Downtown, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
roam-ID,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding the Westin. I am sorry we missed some of the basics during your stay, thank you for sharing so we can continue to get better. I did want to point out that our Guest Service Directory and In-Room Dining information is on our TV and not printed in the room. I am sorry you were unable to find this information.

Hope to see you again soon.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We have stayed numerous times at the Westin Denver Downtown and have always had the most outstanding service you could possibly expect. The employees are always friendly, helpful, and very respectful of the customer and there needs. The rooms are always top notch and very clean. My wife and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in downtown Denver.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Edwin S
Edwin S,

Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you and your wife again very soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

We live about a mile from the Westin, and we chose it for our group block for our wedding.

Location- probably the best located luxury hotel in downtown. It's right on the 16th St Mall. Walking distance to just about any restaurant you can imagine, shopping, larimer Sqaure, union station, Coors Field, the Pepsi Center, and downtown transport made easier by the free mall bus that stops right out front.

Rooms- rooms are very nice. Modern, clean and just what you'd expect from a Westin. Most rooms, especially higher floors, have amazing views of downtown or mtns.

Amenities- nice roof top pool. Not huge but adequate for a dip or kids playing. Great for sunny days. Nice bar in lobby is perfect for catching up with friends. Decent workout facility too, with discounted day rate to an amazing gym across the street,(classes, sauna, steam room, lap pool etc). Parking is expensive, as it is anywhere downtown.

Staff- staff is friendly and helpful. We didn't have our wedding or reception there but they were super helpful and went above and beyond helping bus with some wedding planning and special requests! Honestly, any group of people that can deal with our mothers and still be professional gets an A in my book.

Recommend for:
Groups, business travel, convention visitors, sports fans (MLB teams often stay here and close to stadiums), couples that want a downtown getaway and families that need to stay downtown.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DenverAC22
DenverAC22,
Congratulations on your recent wedding. Thank you for selecting the Westin for your wedding block rooms, glad it went well. Thank you for the comments regarding the hotel. Hope to see you again soon.

Spring, Texas
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The Westin was all that I expected and more. The facilities were beautiful- but what made it extra special was the staff. A special shout out to the front desk staff, Rufus, Tony, Trevor, Sara, Marea, and Gina for making my birthday trip extra special!!!! Thank you for your thoughtfulness and kindness!!!! The location of the hotel is perfect. A free bus runs in front of the hotel so it's super easy to get around. However, right outside the door ( and down 20 steps to the street) are many restaurants, Starbucks, shops, entertainment and more. I will come back!!!

Room Tip: Ask to face the bell tower-- this provides a view of the Rockies.
Green Features: Super guest oriented from the minute we pulled up and all throughout the visit!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
MandCtravel_11,
thank you for the great review of the hotel. We appreciate your comments. Glad the front desk team made your birthday extra special.

Hope to see you again!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Maybe years ago this was a 4 Diamond hotel, but it was tired. The elevators were very beat up and the lower lobby where you enter was dingy at best. The location is the best part for sure. There was 1 person at check in on a Friday night with a long wait. All whole 2 men day at the concierge desk doing nothing. The hotel manager should have to check in under cover. I'll not return.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Resorttestors1
Marc B, Manager at The Westin Denver Downtown, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Resorttestors1,

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. The hotel itself is in a great downtown location within walking distance to everything. The room was cleaned to perfection every day. Room service was excellent and timely.could not of had a better guest experience!

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sean W
Sean W,
Thank you for the great review. Glad you enjoyed the experience and thank you for the great comments regarding our associates. Glad they were able to assist you.