“Adequate Facilities, Lousy Service”

Ramada Denver Downtown
Ranked #104 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Winchester, Virginia
“Adequate Facilities, Lousy Service”
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We stayed here overnight last night on family vacation and will not stay again.

In its favor, the hotel is clean and well maintained. It is in a pretty good location with interesting local restaurants nearby.

The hotel itself out of date in terms of the decor and the facilities. The restaurant is very poor with an extremely limited menu and uninspired cooking. Restaurant and hotel service were generally mediocre to poor, with one disastrous experience.

We decided to take advantage of the free shuttle service to go to the Nature & Science Museum. It departed at the arranged time. Fifteen minutes after the arranged pickup I called the hotel to be sure the shuttle was on the way and the clerk made excuses and told us to wait longer. Twenty minutes later (35 min late) I called again and pointed out that we were going to be late for an appointment and asked for clarification when we would be picked up. Again, excuses and no clarification. When I pressed the issue the clerk suggested I call a cab. I finally got her to agree to call the cab and pay for it. We then waited another 35 minutes with neither a cab nor the shuttle showing up. We then had to cancel our evening appointment and walked back to the hotel (30 - 40 min).

Not much to recommend here, unfortunately. It's a shame, as basic customer service would have made this a decent place to stay at no cost to the owners. Except, of course, the cost of putting effort into what you do.

Stayed July 2012
1 Thank WincVaLocal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Korean first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2012

My personal experience wasn't going to warrant such a negative review - although the front desk staff member (Jason, I think) does have a poor attitude towards the guests. But something I saw on my last day made me write this. I was sitting in reception waiting for my taxi to the airport, when I witnessed what was essentially an altercation between a guest and this member of staff. The guest was clearly not impressed about something, and instead of being treated with decency, as a polite customer (particularly as, from what I overheard, the guest had a point), this Jason started shouting at the guest and telling him to get lost! It really was appalling, I have never seen guests get treated so badly. Combining this with the poor state of the hotel (as others have alluded to - dirty rooms, a funny smell in the corridors), and the location (it's close to the centre of town, but getting there you have to negotiate with several shady characters) - I would conclude AVOID AVOID AVOID!! PS to the request for a plate and fork (given they offer room service), instead of explaining why he couldn't provide us with these simple items, we got told "sorry sir, that's just not how we do things here".

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Neeraj S

Travellers are raving about these Denver hotels

Paw Paw, Michigan
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We stayed here for one night... the hotel rooms were adequate for the price paid. There was a great Irish restaurant/bar across the street from the hotel. We arrived at 1:50 pm and were informed that check in was at 2pm so we would have to wait... When checking in, we were informed that they did not have our reservation that had been prepaid with travelocity... it turned out to be in another travelers name. There were many homeless people asking for money around the hotel...

Room Tip: We had a rook on the courtyard and it was quiet and good for sleeping.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Lindfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We arrived in Denver at the start of our holiday and chose the Ramada for its reasonable access to downtown and the free parking. Possibly this would have been a good choice, but the temperature reached over 100 degrees and the air-conditioning in the room was not working properly and the fridge didn't work at all. After we complained about this anther fridge was put in, but in order to have it working all night the bathroom light had to be kept on. The guy at reception didn't really want to know about the air-con ("I don't know about air conditioning") but said he would ask someone to look at it the next day. This wasn't much use as we were checking out the next morning. Not a great start to our holiday and the worst place we stayed in. perhaps we were unlucky, but we would not use it again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terry J
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 7 nights in Ramada Downtown and initially were shocked with the smell of the corridors carpets and the noise from the air con but we soon settled when we remembered how cheap the booking was.

We had stayed the previous 4 nights in the Crowne Plaza and were spoiled with the standard and location of this hotel. When we were checking out and told the concierge we were moving to Ramada Downtown on East Colfax he said he was from Colfax and for us to walk up to 17th if we were walking into town at night and not to walk on East Colfax especially the 2 blocks around Pearl. We took his advice and had no problem getting about Denver on foot from the Ramada which is just under a mile from 16th St Avenue.

The rooms weren't to the standard of the Crowne Plaza, but the air con worked as did the shower, tv and coffee machine, but I would advise using your own coffee as the sachets provided were vile. Fridges and microwaves are available for a price. There was a plunge pool and sun lounger area, but we never used them. The rooms and corridors could do with new carpet and banning pets (I'm from the UK were animals aren't allowed in hotel rooms) as they smelt a bit, especially in the heat.

The staff were extremely friendly and more than accommodating when we booked the free shuttle run by the hotel, which operates within 3 mile radius, between 7am and 11pm. If you want to use it, I would book a drop off ASAP as they only go once on the hour and if someone else has booked it to go in a different direction you've no chance. They also do a pick up service on the half hour and you should phone them at least 2 hours before you want picked up.

There are a few local bars and restaurants to mention, namely The Irish Snug across the street which is a clean bar and serves "decent" food, but the beer is a little expensive outside happy hour and being a Northern Irishman myself (not a 3rd generation American Irishman wannabe), thought it was a tad like the usual plastic Paddy bars you get abroad and lacked the genuine atmosphere of a real Irish bar. Spices Cafe which is next door to the Streets of London pub a few blocks up, was a fantastic place for breakfast, serving varieties of 3 egg omelettes with hash browns and toast for about $7 with delightful background music of classical music and extremely pleasant and friendly staff. I really enjoyed breakfast here 6 times with strong coffee and cream and never needed to use the hotel's breakfast service which was slightly more expensive. Steuben's on 17th and Pearl (remember to walk down 17th and not Colfax) was another great local restaurant though it's very trendy and popular so you may have to wait for a table with a reservation. Fusion Pizza a few blocks down from the Ramada was a fantastic and cool eatery with 2nd to none pizzas from about $7 sit in or takeway and DP Dough right next door to the Ramada also did great calzone for $5.

The Ramada Downtown is far from the best hotel in Denver, but with the price, friendly/helpful staff and the surrounding businesses and parks, I would'nt hesitate to book a room in this hotel again, using it as a base to put the head down and use the money I've saved to enjoy elsewhere on tours, drinks and food on a really fantastic holiday in Denver

• Stayed July 2012
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Horrible location, the streets around seemed to be dangerous. Drugs, prostitutes, homeless. I read that it makes you feel like you need a gun to cross the street and that's absolutely true.

Later inside things are even worse. Old dated and smelled really bad. A/C making noises and located by the window causing the curtains to move (so the light can enter the room when you want to sleep). Nasty old carpets. The worst place I've been.

I had a reservation for one week and stayed one day before switching to a new hotel. Stay away from this place

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business