“Improvements over the past year made a huge difference”

Comfort Inn Central
Ranked #51 of 159 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I have stayed here several times over the last 12-18 months. They have made, and are making, definite improvements. Little things, like new luggage carts with big rubber wheels. Big things, like made to order omelets in the morning on top of a nice breakfast buffet. Rooms are being redone, they now have a restaurant and bar open each evening. However, the restaurant will close early with no warning if, according the desk staff, "it's slow". I ate dinner there once and the burger and fries were very good. Tap beer, including micros, is 7 bucks.

3rd floor rooms and above have a small balcony with a sliding door for fresh air, stepping out to have a smoke, etc. 4 rooms on the first floor open to the outdoor pool. The pool faces west and is good sized, well maintained, and has plenty of chairs/tables for sitting around watching the kids. 2 elevators, which has never seemed to be an issue. They are attached to the Denver Merchandise Mart - so, if a show is going on there room prices will be higher, parking will be tight, etc.

The rooms have been a work in progress throughout my stays as they upgrade them. In general, the bathrooms are tiny. Very little counter space with the toilet/sink/shower crammed in to the room. Full size tub/shower. Rooms themselves are quite large, some of the largest I've seen in a Comfort Inn anywhere. Even with 2 queens you have more than ample walking space, etc. Desks and work chairs are provided in both queen and king rooms, along with a fridge and micro. Plenty of plug ins around the desk area.

The hotel is cast or poured concrete so is dead quiet. I was quite surprised one night to step out of my room and hear the loud party going on next door - couldn't hear a thing in my room. There is not a sprinkler system, however in this construction it should not be an issue if God forbid.........

Last, but important, watch the room prices through choice hotels. This property often times changes rates 7-14 days out from a given date, and almost always down! So, book to get your room, but then check back every few days the 2 weeks prior to arrival to see if they have changed.

Room Tip: Highway side will have more noise.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank rsiemers
Comfort_Inn_Mgmt, Manager at Comfort Inn Central, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2014

Thank you for the review!

We are constantly making changes to the hotel and are always trying to improve the overall experience of our guests. I hope that you will make another visit to our location and experience some of these changes.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

My wife and I just stayed at this hotel for two nights and it was full, both nights. They have just recently renovated their rooms. We have stayed at this hotel for several years, off and on, and always our main complaint has been the poor breakfast. However, the breakfast room is now moved to the dining room and the food service is very much improved! They even offer a sit-down restaurant, which we didn't try. We congratulate the management in their decision to make these necessary improvements. The rooms are comfortable, the staff is nice, the food is competitive with other hotels and the value is good. What more can they offer? Well......there really isn't that much parking for the size of the hotel. When they are full and there is a show at the neighboring Merchant Mart, then parking is a major problem! Be sure you check if there is a show before you make a reservation here. We suggest a major overhaul on parking for guests only. Also, getting off I-25 onto 58th Ave is a little tricky, so watch the lane changes, both in and out of the hotel lot! 58th is a busy street.

Room Tip: Higher floor room offers good view of Denver lights and mountain range.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Monte H

Thank you for the great review!

Our rooms have been improved extensively over the last year; breakfast, rooms, gym, meeting spaces, etch... I'm glad that you were able to experience these upgrades! One more change to look forward to in the coming months, an enforced parking lot during events! I hope that you will stay with us again on your visit to the Denver area.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I think there has been a lot of updating going on in this hotel and it sure needs it. The room we had was very pretty. Bed was good. BUT, lighting over the sink was just not there! It was over to the right. The sink in bathroom was very small, no area to sit your things, no towel racks at all, so when you needed to hang a hand towel, etc., while staying, there was no place to do that. Overall, the bathroom was the only problem with the room. Breakfast at the Choice Hotels is usually dependable. Again, mixed emotions...........you could order a very nice omelet. But for one of us, omelets are not a favorite, so I opted to have scrambled eggs and some potatoes and gravy. The gravy was watery, weird taste. The frozen potatoes were terrible, dry and weird. The scrambled eggs seemed like they were over-cooked or made the day before, dry and tasteless. I finally opted for some toast. So the breakfast could use some attention. Although....my husband did have the omelet and the preparer was the nicest guy, and hard-working. kept the tables cleaned off and always smiled and tried to be helpful.
Would I stay there again, probably. But was the price good for the breakfast and bathroom part?? no. A little pricey. It's just a very old property and needs lots of updating. See what I mean my mixed emotions??..... Oh, and girls on front desk could be a little more friendly and greet you when you walk in.

Room Tip: ask for top floor to avoid noises of people walking above you.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sherry S

Thank you for the review!

While our breakfast is a very competitive variety compared to our competitors, we are always taking suggestions to improve the standards we provide to our guests. We have also introduced fresh cut fruit in the last few months! I hope that you will stay with us in the future and we can be provide you with a better experience on your next visit!

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I've been to plenty of Comfort Inns (and I have to visit quite a few more.. too much traveling), but this one was a great value.

Pros:
1. VERY clean. The lobby and elevator area look like a higher class hotel and the room was immaculate. (The outside doesn't look quite as impressive but the inside was great!)
2. Nice sized mini-refrigerator and microwave (yes!) in room. I think we need more hotels to provide a private microwave.
3. Small shop in the lobby to buy frozen dinners, chef boyardee, water, ice cream, etc. in case you don't want to venture out (especially late at night). It is a bit pricey though, so I wouldn't rely on this as a first resort.
4. They have their own restaurant (with a small bar) downstairs open from 5pm! The food was surprisingly good. Apparently they have cooked-to-order breakfast from 6am to 10am, but I wasn't able to enjoy it because of time constraints; they give you a voucher when you check in that you use in the morning. The restaurant is nice since there doesn't seem to be anything besides fast food until you near downtown, though I may be wrong.
5. The wifi speed is great! Might be because it's password-protected with several connection points...
6. Friendly, helpful staff.
7. Lots of power outlets connected to the lamps (2 per lamp)! I always need at least two -sometimes more - and it's surprising how many places don't have one available (at least not without moving some furniture around).
8. They provide both soft and firm pillows, and you know exactly which is what! Not too picky with pillows, myself, but I know some friends who would really appreciate this.

Cons:
1. Parking lot is a bit cramped.
2. The water (both in the shop and the vending machines) DOES cost $2.00 (for convenience), so you'll still be better off grabbing something before you get here if that is an option.
3. No view of anything really. Just parking lots. Maybe the freeway if you're higher up.
4. The toilet flushed a little painfully slow for me.
5. There isn't much nearby. The freeway is right here so you can hop on it to get to downtown, but not much in the immediate vicinity.
6. The area is a bit dark at night and doesn't seem to be particularly safe (not that it seems particularly unsafe either).

Other considerations:
-There does seem to be an exercise room with a treadmill and two other machines as well as a water station. Lots of room for stretching (maybe even too much room that it seems awkward..)
-There's a small office area with a computer and printer. I didn't use it, but I could see it on the way over.
-The ice machine is only on the 4th, 6th, and 8th floors (had to ask).
-It's located by freeways. I didn't have any noise problems but I was farther away from that area. Since the freeway is so close, however, it is only about an 8 minute drive to downtown Denver.
-There's an outdoor pool, but it's closed when it's cold out. But why would you swim in the winter when there is awesome skiing and snowboarding so close?! (I'm a bit biased when it comes to the swimming vs. snowboarding debate...)
-Nice quality, big flat-screen TV.
-Shower doors (not curtains) and dual head shower heads.
-They provided makeup remover in the bathroom (pretty cool).

Overall, I got some nice rest. I was fortunate enough not to have sound problems from the freeway, as some of the other reviews commented. I was on the first floor, so no balcony, but I didn't mind. I really appreciated the restaurant (and the bar for a light drink after my day) and the cleanliness. It was warm and comfortable, and the staff was friendly and professional. Though I wish the location had a little more to offer, it's close enough to downtown and I appreciated the amenities; I would highly consider using this establishment again.

Room Tip: Just ask for a room that is quiet, and the nice people at the front desk will accommodate you. They...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the great review!

We have made plenty of upgrades since your last visit! We have since constructed a large business center with multiple computers, large gym, new remodeled bathrooms with new toilets, complimentary water in the VIP rooms, etc... I hope that you will visit us again on your next visit to the Denver area.

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed 5 nights. Good value hotel, has everything you need, but quite distant from downtown if you're not driving. Buses 8 & 12 are fairly nearby. Room balconies allow for smoking, "including cigarettes". Fridge, microwave, big tv, high power shower though no detachable shower head. Quite good breakfast, cheap or free. Be wary of their preferred taxi company though, I got charged $60 to airport when front desk said it would be $30. Just leaves a bad taste to say goodbye to Denver to.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for the review!

I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel! We do offer complimentary shuttle service to many nearby restaurants and in the Downtown Denver area. I apologize that you were misinformed about the shuttle company. While we do not offer shuttle service downtown, we do work with the local company for a discounted rate; $50.00 compared to $75.00 for a cab ride. I hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future!

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed here with a group of friends who had rooms on various floors. All agreed that the freeway noise was annoying. The rooms were clean and everyone was pleasant. The complimentary hot breakfast buffet was outstanding. I wouldn't recommend the location for a peaceful night of sleeping nor would I recommend eating in the dining room for dinner. It was so slow, we waited a long time just for silverware! I shared my meal with a friend because he never got his plate. Drinks were never refilled, it was almost comedic with everything going wrong not only with us but other customers. We and several other tables ended up with a comped meal.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rainy L

Thank you for the review!

While I would agree that our hotel is not the best location for noise reduction, we do offer noise cancelling curtains in all of our rooms. I apologize that we were not able to exceed your expectations in our bar and restaurant. I hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future!

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

They advertise and you pay for heated pool and health club which they knowingly fail to deliver. Advertised on their site, brochure and priceline fraudulently. Do t bother to complain.

I complained on deaf ears. Paid $130+ per night and had view of dumpster and garbage area.

They advertise they are in downtown denver to confuse you about the other comfort inn downtown. This one is 7 far miles away in an industrial complex with lots of highway noise. Inadequate parking too.

Very dirty inside. Would not reccomdend as there are even adequate similar hotels across the street for half the price.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank jeffnewman28208

Thank you for the review!

I apologize that we were not able to exceed your expectations on your visit to our Comfort Inn. Their is no intentional false advertising on our half. We do offer a heated outdoor pool, fitness center(recently brand new equipment) and located near Downtown Denver; Pipeline will place you within 5 miles of your destination. I hope that we are able to offer you all the amenities that you require on your next visit to the Denver area.