“A pleasant surprise”

Ranked #110 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Coolangatta, Australia
“A pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 26 March 2010

After reading previous reviews we were a bit hesitant about staying here on our only night in Denver. We had used La Quinta at LAX when we first arrived in the US and were impressed.
Our room was fine and clean, and down towards the back away from the road on ground level, we did here some train noise, but not enough to really worry us. We used the bus stop from over the road to go into the city and that was handy.
We think for the price we paid it was pretty good value, and would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
South Carolina
Reviewed 7 October 2009

Sometimes I think people are a little too picky with their hotel expectations so I take all bad reviews with a big grain of salt. I should have been more careful here. Part of it is bad planning. My husband and I did not really plan this leg of our trip until we were already traveling. I called hotels.com and made this reservation through them. We were arriving by train to Denver and not renting a car until the next morning so we needed to be able to walk.
We were able to walk, it was a bit far, but we appreciated it after sitting on the train so long. We were a little worried at one point that we had to cross the highway but there was a tunnel.
Someone had reviewed that the noise from the trains was bad. I figured - we had just spent the previous nigh ON a train, so this can't be worse, right? WRONG!!!
I can't even explain how loud it was. I could not sleep.
Overall the room was reasonably clean. I didn't particularly feel safe. There was a starbucks really close by we walked to the next morning. But the trains just make this place unbearable. It seems like maybe there was free breakfast but I didn't see much of anything there when we were checking out.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank erinetene
Bassersdorf, Switzerland
Reviewed 11 August 2009

clean, friendly staff, good room. The right place to stay after a long flight. Excellent location. Bus for the city in front - and you can walk back!
Train noise ? Yes, but not so much. No worries, you CAN sleep.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed 6 June 2009

Reservation was wrong to start. We booked six rooms and they only had five. This is not a hotel it is a motor lodge. This "motel" was located at the intersection of I-70 and I-25. It is really not "downtown". The room was dingy and dirty. The screeching and banging of the trains kept me up all night. It was terrible. If you decide to stay here bring ear plugs. My door did not shut correctly and the elevator smelled like bodily fluids. The security guards spent 30 minutes standing outside my door talking about the drunk they threw off the property at 11:00 pm. Spend the extra money and stay in true downtown Denver or at the Tech Center and take the train into downtown. I stay in Denver frequently and you get what you pay for. I should have known better.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank lorarose
Alberta
Reviewed 9 April 2009

Whew. The night before we stayed at the Super 8 in Brighton which was a total nightmare. We had never stayed at a La Quinta before and we were skeptical when we heard the price was only $80 so we aksed to see a room. Could not beleive it. Room was super clean, newly renovated. Seemed to good to be true but wasnt. In fact, we were so impressed we stayed an exra 2 nights here. Amazing sleeps. Loved the washroom. We were down buying cars from Canada and they let us park 2 of them in the hotel parking lot for 48 hours no problem. Felt safe. Loved the central location. If I go back to Denver I am staying here again.

• Stayed May 2007
1 Thank dink_small_wood
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2008

I signed up on Trip Advisor just to post this feedback on La Quinta Inn Denver Central.

I got the worse two sleeps of my travel life in early September at the La Quinta Inn Denver Central. First off this place is not a hotel, it is a motel. I booked my reservation using the 1-800 number and was treated very well by the CSR. I ended up booking a room with two double beds and asked if they have cots. They stated that they do and it will be on my reservation for an additional cost of $10 per night. When I arrived at the motel, the front desk clerk told me it is against their policy to have a cot in the bedroom due to fire code. Lesson learned, next time I will call and confirm the cot situation. However, we did spend most of the day looking for an air mattress. Note to all who are looking for cots in a room, go to Wal-Mart. The air mattresses there are only $10 + $12 for the pump + $5 for D batteries, still cheaper than a cot at $10 per day for 3 nights.

The room was clean but outdated, but for $119 per night, not a bad deal. The condition of the room was not a big deal since the intent of the weekend was a sports weekend with friends. Coors field is only a 15 minute walk up the street from La Quinta Inn. However you will need a car if you stay here, but one good thing is the I25 is seconds away. The continental breakfast is supplied which is nice if you’re on a fixed budget or if you want to just grab and go. Not much nearby, except for small plaza that has a pub, liquor store, Quiznos, Dominos and Starbucks. There is a service station next door with a McDonalds in it. I would avoid the service station late at night thought, since it attracts shady people.

I have read other posts about the location of this hotel, and knew the freeway wouldn’t be an issue since you can barely hear it, and it’s true from the room location where we were in. However, the train yard is next door and there is nothing like hearing squeaky breaks at 4 AM, followed by a collision of rail cars connecting to each other.

The other noise came from other travelers coming back hammered from the local pub across the street. Nothing like yelling to your buddy at 2 AM by the pool because you forgot to pick up beer. Well they got their beer and the partying continued to about 4AM on the third level of the motel. I imagine this happens in other motels, so it’s not a slam against the La Quinta Inn, but keep in mind you don’t get this behavior at the Hyatt Regency. The final night I had a decent sleep… since I rolled up some tissue paper and placed it in my ears. Note to self, always pack ear plugs.

My advice to you on the La Quinta Inn is, if you are in Denver on business; have small children; or you’re a light sleeper, stay away from this motel and spend the extra $60 and stay in a 3 star hotel. If you are a bunch of young guys there on a weekend of tearing up the town and checking out the sporting events, this place is for you! The money you save on a real hotel can be used for your seat upgrade on Broncos’ tickets.

• Liked — The price was reasonable
  • Disliked — The constant noise
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank digitalroc