“Almost a Ritz...but not quite”

The Ritz-Carlton, Denver
Ranked #9 of 160 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 8 April 2011

We stay at a lot of the RC hotels mostly because they are consistent in service and cleanliness and, for the most part, this hotel fit that category. Spa service was excellent, but the spa itself was very basic. The jacuzzi was a thumbprint and the steam room not that much bigger. Clean yes, but the difference between the spa at Bachelor Gulch and this one in Denver is staggering. I've seen local rec centers with better facilities. However, the spa treatment itself was excellent, as expected..

Club level was very lacking compared to other Club Levels. No top shelf alcohol, cheap liquor, and no actual bar. Food offerings were just that, and pitiful. They even had the exact same selection two days in a row...did we get leftovers?? The in room dining (breakfast) was awful. the coffee tasted burnt, the potatoes were fatty and looked several hours old. I would suggest eating off site, there are plenty of good restaurants within walking distance or a short car ride (which the Ritz do provide.)

The bed extended the mattress a good 6 inches. It's very easy to stub your toe. We filled out the survey they emailed us and invited the hotel to contact us directly, they didn't. This is a shame, as I actually used to work for RC many moons ago and every comment by a client was taken seriously and addressed. This is the second time in 2 years I have had some negative feedback ( the other was during a stay at RC Marina Del rey where the spa was filthy) and they didn't bother then either. I would still stay at a RC but something has happened with customer follow up...i.e. it died.

The price was non-ritz like too, which is a plus! It was extremely good value for the price and for that, we would ignore the imperfections and stay again. Howvever, if their prices increased to match other RC hotels, we would probably skip this hotel

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank colotravet

Reviewed 23 March 2011

This is not my first time at the Ritz Carlton, Denver - but it is my most favorite visit! We stayed 3 nights in the club level. We haven't stayed in a non-club level room so I can't compare. This visit was flawless. Valet and bell staff remembered us from last year. Tim, the manager, also remembered us and honored our request to be on the 12th floor and near an elevator. There are new club lounge attendents from our visit last year....Doug, Angela and Molly. Wow. These folks work tirelessly to accomodate your every need. They are always on the move and we've never felt more spoiled. Doug has worked in the Ritz family going on 27 years! I can't begin to tell you the special touches we encountered...for instance, while riding in the elevator a staff member asked if we were having a nice stay. I told her it was exceptional and how thrilled we were that Bvlgari products were brought back (at this time only club level receives these upgraded bath products) as last year's stay they had phased them out. I gushed how much I LOVE the line and she laughed as she could smell the lotion in the elevator! Upon returning to our room later, we found a small bag of a few extra Bvlgari products and a hand written note from Kisha - the staff member we had encountered in the elevator! The fact that she took the time to 1) find out who we were 2) write a lovely note and 3) leave a few extra of my most favorite bath products ....is an example of the amazing steps this staff will take to make you feel welcome. Additionally, our club attendent Doug (have I mentioned FABULOUS?) introduced us to his fiance, Karen, who also works at the Ritz in member services for the destination club. Although not her role, she went out of her way to make us feel special as well. In a nutshell - this place is amazing. Ritz Carltons worldwide have the plush bedding, amazing ambience and luxurious amenities and Denver Ritz Carlton is no different. What we love about this specific Ritz Carlton above all others is the staff....they truly make a difference in our stay. From Reggie the bellman, to Mark at guest relations to management with Tim - and all the smiling faces in between - they will make your stay incredible. If you plan on staying in the downtown Denver hotel - don't look elsewhere. We've stayed at them all; Hotel Monaco, Magnolia, Brown, Hyatt, etc., etc. - spend a bit more and experience amazing luxury at the Denver Ritz Carlton!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2011

We stayed here for 1 night before travelling on to Steamboat Springs for a ski trip. It's a beautiful hotel and the rooms are really big. The bathroom was huge. We had breakfast at the restaurant which was very good too. Everyone at the hotel was very helpful and the service was excellent. We booked a package which included parking and breakfast and it's actually less expensive to take the package than it would be to pay for parking and breakfast separately. It's within walking distance of Larimer Square and 16th Street Mall which was perfect for us as these were two areas we wanted to explore. We would definitely stay here again and may book it again for 1 night before flying home.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Quick overnight stay to celebrate an event. Stayed in a King Deluxe room that was very nice (10th floor), good view, and great bed - only minor complaint was room on smaller side. Ate at Elway's restaurant in the hotel - very friendly staff, good food - a bit loud but it was Saturday night. 2 blocks to the 16th Street Mall, beautiful night to walk around, plenty of night life, looking for a more upscale nightclub (piano bar) and did not locate. Overall terrific stay, just wished the room would have been a bit larger.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I am new to this hotel and have been staying here every week for the past few weeks and even though it is a Ritz-Carlton they exceeded my expectations. Definately the nicest hotel I have every stayed at in the US and holds its own against other very nice hotels in Asia such at the Westin and Okura hotels in Tokyo and the Shangri-La and Oriental hotels in Bangkok. Ok maybe not as luxurious as the Oriental but the staff is just as warm.

I was not surprised by how polite the staff is, even though they are extremely polite and corteous that is expected from this brand. I was however pleasently surprised at how genuinely warm the ENTIRE staff is. And I do mean everyone, from the maids in the morning, to the turn down service maids, doormen and the front desk staff.

I recently found out that I am going to be staying here past March and the management was extremely cordial and accomadating when I asked to keep my current rate.

Other perks:

Rooms: Incredibly nice. I can only speak to their most basic rooms since that is what I get every week. Hardwood floor entrance, spacious room with convenient outlets. Nice HD TVs, stocked bar. Free bottled water.

Bathroom - Incredible and spacious. Seperate shower, nice large tub.

Gym: Out of this world. Pool, spin and other classes, large weight room, lots of cardio, BB court.

Turndown Service: Normally I keep the DND sign on my room all week but at this hotel I let them come in because of the turndown service which includes filling up the silver ice bucket.

Location: It's on 18th street so guess how far away from the 16th Street Mall.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2011

My husband and I, along with our 2-year old stayed at the Ritz Carlton, Denver from January 27-30, 2011. The hotel is walking distance from the famous 16th St Mall, though they do provide a courtesy car that will take you within 5 miles of the hotel, which was a nice option for us when it was too cold to walk. We had a great stay, mainly because the entire hotel staff is committed to service.
The hotel itself is not as grandiose or fancy as you would expect a Ritz Carlton Hotel to be, but it's still very nice and seems to fit in well with the whole Denver vibe of simplicity. I found Denver to be very casual and easy-going, and the people are genuinely nice, so it made sense for the Ritz in Denver not to be uber fancy.
When we arrived we were warmly greeted by the valets and doormen. We had no problems checking in, (check-in was only about 5 minutes).
We stayed in a room with a king size bed and I had asked for a crib for our daughter when I booked the reservation. The crib was already in the room when we arrived, along with two soft green baby blankets and a little blue canvas big with the Ritz logo full of Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo, a bath toy, some kids bandaids and a thermometer. I thought this was a nice touch.
The room was nice, but again nothing too fancy. There was a flat screen TV, an awesome cappuccino maker, a chase that you could sit in with your feet up and the bed was very comfy with a feather-top mattress. The bathroom was very nice and clean with marbled counter tops and it had a nice sized shower and bathtub.
We did not spend a lot of time in the hotel or use the spa but we did dine in the hotel restaurant a couple of times. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant which was just mediocre. Every thing on the menu sounds incredibly delicious, but I found the food to be just ok, though the french toast from the kids menu was fabulous! But the service at the restaurant was fantastic.
In general, the best thing about the Ritz in Denver is the service. From the valets, to the concierge and front desk, to even the housekeeping staff, the service was excellent and what you would expect from the Ritz.
The valets always greet you with a smile and rush to open the doors for you and even offer you bottles of water.
Even the housekeeping staff greets you with a smile in the hallways and asks you how you're doing.
The concierge was very helpful on numerous occasions. On our first night I asked the concierge for a good steakhouse recommendation and he suggested Capital Grill which I highly recommend, the food is fantastic and the service is impeccable. He made the reservation for us and told us we could take the courtesy car. They even had an infant car seat and larger booster seat available to put in the car.
The next day I asked the concierge about how to take a bus to Boulder, and he not only clearly explained to me how to get to the station but he gave me a map and printed out the bus schedule. He then offered my daughter and I some bottles of water to take along with us and let my daughter pick a couple of things from a wagon full of toys.
I would stay at this hotel again because the service is excellent.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Ritz has really improved service since my last visit. This is best business hotel in Denver by a Mile!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business