“Great hotel in an excellent downtown location”

The Ritz-Carlton, Denver
Ranked #9 of 160 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Great hotel in an excellent downtown location. It's a nice property with a good steakhouse on site. It's just a couple blocks from the 16th St pedestrian mall. I stayed in a corner suite which was very nice with a separate living/dining room with a walk in closet. Kind of weird angles in the room, I guess that's the corner though.

Room Tip: get a corner suite
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephen K

Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

For a Ritz Carlton property, I was very disappointed. Staff were very friendly and accommodating, but it ended there. Room was mediocre and wrong from the beginning, as I had booked a King Suite online and received a double queen. I called the evening before I arrived to ask about a shuttle service to the airport. The lady on the phone told me I could book the shuttle with the concierge when I checked in. I did just that to find out there wasn't a shuttle service and would cost me $100! From the website I was under the assumption there was an indoor and outdoor pool. There is only an indoor lap pool and unacceptable to take a child.
I have had much better experiences at other hotels in the area. Most likely will not return to this location.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank VailChic02
Reviewed 15 April 2013

The Ritz and Elways (and the Buell) is our guilty pleasure in Denver (we live in Cheyenne, WY). We LOVE the king suites and usually purchase it through one of their package deals that includes valet parking. This time, just days before going I suffered a back injury with terrible sciatic nerve pain, but was determined to go (I figured I could lay in a bed in the Ritz as easily as I could at home)! Upon arrival they brought us two glasses of champagne (a NICE new touch since our last visit) and I mentioned that I had injured my back and asked if they could refreeze my cold pack. They not only did that, but made a special, vacuum-packed, large ice bag for me - so very thoughtful! Before making it to Denver, we stopped at the ER room in Ft. Collins (pain meds) and the doc there reccomended a myofascial release massage technique (I already had a massage booked) and was very impressed that my massage therapist new exactly how to do that - she also gave me tips on how to treat by back pain while I was there - (the spa also brought me a fresh ice pack to use while in the lounging room). Not that all of this is important to everyone, but just wanted to say how much we appreciated the caring staff at the Ritz! We had supper and Easter brunch at Elways (ALWAYS the best steaks in Denver and the brunch was good, but not quite as good as a couple of years ago when we went). We missed the Buell performance : ( -- but still had a wonderful stay at our favorite hotel in Denver!! Again, THANK YOU to ALL of the wonderful Ritz staff!!

Room Tip: King suite with mountain view if possible on high floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2013

My husband and I had a fun night out at the Ritz-Carlton Denver. We had just experienced the Ritz-Carlton Fort Lauderdale and the Club Level for the first time. Once was not enough! I’m beginning to think I’d like to see and review every single one.

I was greeted warmly by the smiling woman behind the desk and checked in within seconds. In just minutes, the bellman had the bags in the room and we had made our way to the Club Level, passing by the impressive staircase.

The lobby’s stairs lead up to the second level, where the meeting and event space is located. At the top of the stairs is a blown glass masterpiece that doubles as a chandelier, designed by a protege of the exceptionally talented and world-famous designer Dale Chihuly. If you’ve been to Bellagio in Vegas, you may have noticed the grand chandelier in the lobby called “Fiori di Como” (how many chandeliers have names?). This is a Chihuly piece of art.

CLUB LEVEL

I was glad to see the Club was not the same layout or design as the one in Fort Lauderdale – variety is important, especially when travel is your life. After a quick coffee, we left to have dinner in Elway’s, the highly publicized restaurant on-site.

After dinner, it was back to the Club Level for a little TV and a light dessert. The comfortable room, sectioned into conversation and TV-watching areas, featured a wonderful view of the downtown lights. There were four or five groups of people quietly talking and generally relaxing when David and I found our way to an alcove to enjoy a little TV. The staff member in charge checked on us from time to time and was both pleasant and accommodating.

ROOMS

After we enjoyed the Club Level for a little too long, we wrapped up the night with a movie in the well-appointed room. I immediately recognized that the heavenly bed linens were Frette brand. I’d love to have some in our own house. After the movie, I left the thick drapes open to enjoy the view of Denver and drifted off, comfortable and content.

DINING

Elway’s is a Denver institution. They have a great selection of food, including the beef sliders I enjoyed for dinner. During our evening, the fire alarm went off. I would have expected at least some mild alarm, but servers swooped by tables, elegantly and quietly telling guests it was a mistake and not to worry. Our server was quite funny, in fact – popping jokes while attending to tables. The entire thing was resolved in minutes and we all continued on with our meals. The true test of a business is how it handles an unusual situation and Elway’s passed with high marks.

MY RECOMMENDATION

Normally I like boutique hotels best, but an exception is the Ritz-Carlton branded properties. Ritz-Carlton has a strong brand with hard and fast quality standards. I also quite like the Club Level’s food, atmosphere and convenience. When you book, be sure your room includes access.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lori M
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Just had a "Douglas" with Douglas. Make sure if you're in the club level you grab Douglas and have him make you his special drink. Service was excellent and accommodating. The food was decent but it's included in club so obviously we weren't expecting a full course meal. Douglas in Denver and Trina at the Marina Del Rey Ritz are now my two favorite Ritz employees. Thanks for the hospitality!

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank Brandonsmith
Reviewed 10 April 2013

If you want to feel like royalty, stay here - even if it is just for a night. The Staff is amazing, the rooms are lovely, the location is perfect....nothing bad to say. We found a great deal online and were able to do a romantic overnight quite reasonably. Everyone was extremely helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Stayed on Saturday 30th March for one night with my wife and two young boys. I had been in contact with the concierge before this trip, and the lady on the desk could not have been more helpful. She helped me arrange many things such as a surprise for my wife as it was our 20th wedding anniversary, helped get in contact with Beaver Creek to arrange lift passes, ski school, etc and booked our table at Elways for the evening. She was amazing and a credit to the hotel. Our stay was perfect there and all the staff were very good. We liked the guy playing piano in the lobby on our arrival and through the evening.
Our room was spacious enough with two comfortable queensize beds and great bathroom. Our meal at Elways was also a perfect ending for the evening.
Breakfast next morning was also excellent and recommended. All in all a fabulous stay that none of us could fault.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family