“Nice enough”

The Ritz-Carlton, Denver
Ranked #8 of 158 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel is fine if your staying with a spouse or significant other. The room is nice (kind of a typical Ritz as far as decor and space goes). The bellman, door man and courtesy car driver were all very, very nice. So was the engineer that came to our room to fix our A/C (it was never really fixed to our satisfaction but we were only there for 3 days and I didn't feel like moving all our stuff to another room). The front desk staff and concierge were ok, nothing worth noting to be honest.

I don't think I would recommend this hotel with children. No kids club, no childcare in the adjacent gym and no access to babysitters (I asked the concierge for recommendations and was told there was a list and that it would be sent up to the room, but I never received it. Even if I had received it I probably wouldn't have used it as I was told that its just a list and the Ritz doesn't have any connection to the people on it. I'm sure this is for their own protection but it still made me very uncomfortable). There was also no pool. There was one in the connected gym but could only be used by children on the weekends and was an indoor pool. Not very helpful when you check in on a Sunday in the late afternoon.

The location was ok. Close to 16th Street, but I would avoid it all costs. Lots of homeless people, grimy stores, and filthy, smelly alleys. I travel to large cities often and this was simply just not a nice area.

Take a taxi to Cherry Creek or Cherry Creek North both are fabulous shopping areas.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank PATravelGirl_9
stevenJanicek, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

I appreciate you sharing these details from your experience here at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver. I am pleased you found our hotel to be nice and discovered our courtesy car driver, front door and bell staff all to be very courteous. I would like to personally apologize about the fitness club’s pool rules as it relates to children as well as for the lack of follow up from our concierge regarding babysitting. While our downtown location offers easy access to some the of the best sights and activities in Denver I can also understand how some areas were less desirable to spend time in. If your travels bring you back here, I’d appreciate the opportunity to personally arrange another stay and ensure it is wonderful for you and your family.

There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Denver

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We drove up and the valet staff and bellmen were quite friendly and helpful. After that, it didn't go as well. We have stayed at 14 or 15 RC properties in the US and I am disappointed to say that the Denver property has a few issues. Attention to detail was lacking in everything from room service to housekeeping to the suite itself. Little things like no jam for the toast, no syrup for the pancakes, a missing place setting... they are not the norm at the Ritz Carlton. Our suite had a view of the adjacent roof from one window.. the other window was blocked by permanent wood panel painted over to match the wall - not a lovely sight and certainly not the view you expect from a Ritz Carlton suite. When I asked the front desk about a better view I was told that the hotel was "booked" - no other suite was available. Since the lobby was empty and the place seemed very quiet at mid-week, I went on-line, punched in our days and sure enough... every room category was available including suites. I was quite disappointed that I had been lied to by the front desk. If I could book another suite on-line, why couldn't I book one inside the hotel? The suite itself needs a rehab... broken glass in the make-up mirror in the bathroom.... carpet seams split... could use a paint job ...All in all this is the worst Ritz Carlton we have ever visited. Next time in Denver, it's the Four Seasons or the Brown Palace for us.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank katieG212
stevenJanicek, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

I truly appreciate you sharing your feedback regarding your stay at here at The Ritz-Carlton. Denver. I would like to extend a sincere apology for the issues you experienced while staying with us. I can certainly see how you’d be disappointed; it is obvious that we fell short in numerous ways while you were visiting. Please know I will address the suite availability issues with my front desk team to ensure that doesn’t happen in the future as well as the lack of detail with housekeeping and in-room dining service. I will also be addressing our engineering team as to their inspection process with wear and tear in our rooms and suites. As General Manager, I take this feedback very seriously and apply it towards learning and improvement opportunities with the staff. If an opportunity occurs where your travels bring you back to Denver, I would like to have you stay as my guest, please contact me personally to make sure all arrangements. I hope we get the chance to connect in person.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

On a getaway with husband and as expected greeted with a smile and by name at the check in desk. Stayed on 8th floor with a view of Coors Field. It is so quiet you feel like your the only ones there, the rooms are very large with espresso machines and water bottles. I recommend the package that gives restaurant credit at Elways because the food was exceptional and the service carries over into Elways (I have to write a completely separate review to cover this but we ordered porterhouse and scallops and were stuffed). Following our dinner, we walked the two blocks to the 16th Street Mall with restaurants, shops, movies, Lucky strike lanes, and music. When we returned to our room, there was a very large piece of chocolate cake, two drinks we had ordered at the restaurant, a rose and a note from our server Ashley. What an amazing touch, don't know if it was Elway's or RC but who cares, it only added to a special first night. I have to note that the adjacent gym is better than mine back home, everything you could possibly need and a lot of machines. The saltwater pool is a nice touch as well. Armando at the front door was a cheerful and helpful guy who gave us a lot of ideas and was there to answer our questions. I had my doubts since I had only stayed at the RC Half Moon Bay but even without a beach, this hotel knows how to keep you coming back. I should add that there were families there as well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
stevenJanicek, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share these details from your wonderful experience at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver. I’m extremely pleased to know our ladies and gentlemen were able to provide an exceptional escape in the Mile High City for you and your husband. I agree we have an ideal downtown location with so many things to do within walking distance and am glad you were able to explore our backyard. The ELWAY’S Escape package proved to be a winner – both in regards to food and service and I will be sure to share the wonderful comments with my team. It’s our mission to surprise and delight our guests on every occasion. I do hope you’ll visit us again when your travels bring you to Denver.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

this hotel had a spa zen feel to it from check in to check out. we were on the club floor and Mr. Schaefer oversees all your wishes and remembers your name from night to night. they have a complimentary hotel Mercedes to take you within a 3 mile radius.
would stay here again

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank truefoodie_9
stevenJanicek, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding a Club floor staff as well as our courtesy car services, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope your travels bring you back to Denver again soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Very very nice and what you've come to expect from the Ritz folks. Check in was simple and quick while my standard rate room was large, well laid out, comfortable and clean...Was there for a two day meeting and the meeting facility was good. Not up to five star quality was the buffet breakfast and lunch...the attentiveness of the staff (arranged for a late check out the night before and then was 'chastised' by the desk clerk when i re-confirmed the next morning). All in all a very nice and quality hotel....just a smdge short of getting my five star ranking.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
stevenJanicek, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

I thank you very much for sharing these details from your recent stay here at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver. I am delighted you enjoyed your visit to our property and am happy you found our guest rooms and meeting facilities up be very good. It’s disappointing too know we failed to deliver in the areas you mentioned; I welcome you back anytime and promise to ensure you experience a Five-Star visit. Please feel free to contact me directly to set up your next Denver escape.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Ritz Carlton boasts that they provide world class service, but my experience was far from it. In fact, they rank in the top three most disappointing experiences I have ever had in any hotel (and I've visited many of every price range from Motel 6 to Four Seasons - in 45 states and 25 countries). There were three different service lapses in the first two days of my stay. While this is not what I would have expected, the worst part is that no one ever apologized through any of the issues and no one seemed to really care.

One example is that I had called the front desk right after arrival to see if they would be able to press some clothes by the following morning so I could wear them to my conference. They assured me that they could. The clothes were not delivered as promised the next morning so I called and asked about them as time was running out. No apology, just "I'll get right on it." When I received no response and I had to leaver for my conference, I quickly ironed some very casual clothes I had to make them look the best I could (very thankful that I was not a presenter at the conference). My wife followed up with another call later that morning and eventually sometime that day they were hung on our doorknob. No one "owned the problem" or followed up to apologize or see if everything was okay - and there was no recognition of the inconvenience they caused.

That night we were awakened by a howling noise which turned out to be coming from our window. We eventually discovered that if we opened it the noise stopped. But, then we listened to fire engines, train whistles and police sirens the rest of the night, allowing very little sleep. We called in the morning and asked someone to fix the seal on the window or move us to another room. The desk clerk sounded very skeptical about being able to do anything but said he would have an engineer take a look. Later that afternoon I returned to the room and it appeared nothing had been done because the handles on the window were in the identical positions as when we left (one closed and one open). Sure enough, the wind picked up and the howling noise returned. Another call and finally an engineer arrived and repaired the window. No apology, no one owned the issue, no checking back to see if the issue was resolved, no acknowledgement that we had lost a night's sleep and had our second poor experience in two days.

The irony is that the conference I attended included a Ritz Carlton director touting the world class service they provide. I shared my experience with a front desk manager but never felt anything would really be addressed.

The gentlemen that greet you upon arrival and get your car for you are great. They always greeted with a warm smile, asked if they could provide directions and quickly learned my name.

There are lots of good options for lodging and I have received much better service at many hotels for a lot less money. I cannot recommend this establishment.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank GriffOB
stevenJanicek, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

I sincerely appreciate you sharing your experience regarding a recent stay at here at The Ritz-Carlton. Denver. I would like to extend a sincere apology for the service issues you experienced while staying with us during your conference. Our Ladies and Gentlemen take great pride in providing our guests with exceptional service at hotels around the world and it is obvious that we fell short in numerous ways while you were our guest. Please know I take this feedback very seriously and apply it towards learning and improvement opportunities with the staff; I am determined to ensure these issues never happen again. If an opportunity occurs where your travels bring you back to the Mile High City, I would like to have you stay as my guest, please contact me personally to make sure all arrangements; I can ensure your next stay will be flawless and truly hope we get the chance to connect in person.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

What a disappointment the Ritz Denver was. I will start off by stating what was ok – the lobby was well-appointed, the reception staff friendly, and the room was spacious. This was a short over-night stay with my mother for Mother’s Day so I didn’t really get to see much of the hotel other than this one night. But so many things were lacking that I felt compelled to post a review. The spa – dark, cramped, and messy. Despite the fact we just wanted to use the facilities for an hour before closing, they told us we were going to be charged for the full day pass (although, to the staff’s credit, they later waived this after being embarrassed by how messy and noisy the women’s locker room was due to a large party also using the facilities). There is no sauna in the spa and the hot tub is tiny and in a dark corner. The spa does not connect to the pool. Dinner at Elway’s – even though it was Mother’s Day, they sat us next to a very noisy bachelor party, about 20 guys who were loud and completely wasted. I understand it is sometimes hard to plan around these things, but there were other open tables for 2 and if they had really cared they could have found us somewhere else to sit that was not immediately next to this group. And the final offender – they gave us a room with a connecting door to another room and that room ALSO had a large party (graduation or bachelor party?) that partied late into the night and continuously attempted to bang on and/or open the door to our room. I had to call at least four times before the hotel did anything about it. It was appalling and one of the worst hotel stays I have had in a while. I left with the impression that this hotel caters to a lower market than other hotels in its brand, which is too bad. The Ritz Denver needs to step up its game. Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you avoid a room with a door that adjoins the next room, if this is possible. Try to see...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Mrs_LJE
stevenJanicek, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

I want to thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at The Ritz Carlton Denver and share with you my most sincere apology for the service shortfalls you experienced during your stay. We at The Ritz Carlton Denver take great pride in providing our guests with exceptional service and it is obvious that we fell short in many areas during your stay with us. Please know I take this feedback and apply your words towards learning opportunities and pledge my utmost efforts in making sure these service issues never happen again. If an opportunity occurs where your travels bring you back to Denver, I would like to have you stay as my guest and contact me personally to make sure all arrangements are properly made, your stay is flawless and we get the chance to meet.