“Will 5 and 10 you every chance”

The Ritz-Carlton, Denver
Ranked #8 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Atlanta, GA
“Will 5 and 10 you every chance”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Ranks low among other Ritz properties. Still a very nice hotel, but call it a four star hotel with a five star name. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Hotel lacks any real vibe, probably because downtown is dead on weekends. Service is typical, gracious Ritz style. Lack of pool access beyond 6 on Sundays is weak spot. My main issue with this location is that greed permeates the stay. They charge for wifi, for instance. Hello? Most all $400 hotels now include wifi. How about popping into the business center to use the computer for a minute? That will be $6 for 15 minutes, please. Park the car? $38. That price is just downright abusive, "let's see how much we can push this" pricing. It is not like this is Chicago and there are no available spots. I a sure the ritz staff will comment about how this approach to one-off pricing is better than just charging all, including non-users, for these services. Believe what you want. I say it is nonsense and this is just a perfect example of a greedy property owner. Stay elsewhere. There are alternative luxury properties in town. And note that the location is nothing special. 16th Street Mall is a joke BTW

Room Tip: Choose one in a competing hotel
5 Thank Biz&LeisureTtraveler
stevenJanicek, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay here at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver. I truly appreciate your feedback as we can only improve when we are made aware of how our guests are feeling. I’m pleased you’re found our service to be gracious; our Ladies and Gentlemen are committed to providing the very best guest experience possible. I apologize our partner fitness center doesn’t offer extended pool hours on weekends and I assure you I will further investigate as to why. In regards parking prices, we try our absolute best to be on par with other downtown hotels in this very competitive market. I can also understand your thoughts on Wi-Fi and charging for it as some hotels include it in their room rates; some of our overnight packages and all of our Club Level room reservations include complimentary Wi-Fi access. If you ever find yourself in the area again, I’d personally be happy to arrange your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
novi,mi
Reviewed 29 July 2014

You can tell right off that they had a limited amount of horizontal space when they chose this building site. The lobby is elegant, but limited in size & space with no comfy seating or focal point. The bar/lounge area is separated from the lobby and a little intimidating to enter.
They did serve a well made cocktail once inside and the food and service were fine.
The rooms were typical Ritz, comfortable. This hotel is very business oriented, located near the Court House complex and several office towers. This is not in the middle of an ambient neighborhood with shops, food & bars. 16th street is a walkable distance though. It's also directly across from the Greyhound Bus depot, so there was a constant low level of drama outside.

Room Tip: I would consider this strictly a business hotel. Nice, but not in a lively neighborhood. It would be...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank cjbailey
stevenJanicek, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Ritz Carlton Denver. I was happy to read many of comments regarding our rooms and some of the services you were able to enjoy within The Hotel and Elway’s and will appreciate the comments regarding some design aspects as well as surrounding area. I hope when your travels bring you back to Denver you will again stay with us and contact me personally to set up all of your arrangements.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here this past weekend when I was in town to watch Manchester United vs Roma. The property was nice and the valet and doormen were great. I didn't have an issue until I ordered room service on Saturday night. I ordered a steak medium well and got one that was medium rare. Well, that is putting it kindly. It was still alive. Dinner was ruined. After spending $115 on room service that I didn't get to finish or really enjoy i filled out one of the comment cards that came with the dinner. The next morning the lady that brought my breakfast apologized that my dinner order was wrong, which was nice, but I would have expected a manager to call. If I was staying at another Ritz hotel I would have received a call and the charge removed or discounted. No questions.

When I checked out today (sunday) the young lady at the desk just asked me if my bill looked right. I said yes and that was it. No thank you for staying with us or I hope you enjoyed your stay. Nothing! She just continued looking down reading something. Very poor customer service and if she worked for me she would be fired. Just for that I will never stay at this property again. I couldn't believe it. The customer service is lacking at this hotel and it does not live up to the reputation of a Ritz property. They need some serious training.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Richard B
stevenJanicek, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
I want to thank you for staying with us and hope you enjoyed the soccer match as I know it turned out to be a great game and certainly was exciting for Denver to host such a wonderful event. I also want to apologize for the the poor performance by my ream regarding the meal that was served by in room dining and then the lack of action taken by our Ladies and Gentlemen once you shared your feedback and lack of satisfaction with the steak served. Immediate problem resolution and empowerment is a cornerstone of The Ritz Carlton Hotel Company and we certainly did not live up to that promise during your stay last weekend. If you could contact me directly at 303-312-3802 or email me at steven.janicek@ritzcarlton.com, I will be happy to remove the charge for the dinner and would like to hear more about your stay and invite you back as my guest and ensure your next stay in flawless.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel is fine if your staying with a spouse or significant other. The room is nice (kind of a typical Ritz as far as decor and space goes). The bellman, door man and courtesy car driver were all very, very nice. So was the engineer that came to our room to fix our A/C (it was never really fixed to our satisfaction but we were only there for 3 days and I didn't feel like moving all our stuff to another room). The front desk staff and concierge were ok, nothing worth noting to be honest.

I don't think I would recommend this hotel with children. No kids club, no childcare in the adjacent gym and no access to babysitters (I asked the concierge for recommendations and was told there was a list and that it would be sent up to the room, but I never received it. Even if I had received it I probably wouldn't have used it as I was told that its just a list and the Ritz doesn't have any connection to the people on it. I'm sure this is for their own protection but it still made me very uncomfortable). There was also no pool. There was one in the connected gym but could only be used by children on the weekends and was an indoor pool. Not very helpful when you check in on a Sunday in the late afternoon.

The location was ok. Close to 16th Street, but I would avoid it all costs. Lots of homeless people, grimy stores, and filthy, smelly alleys. I travel to large cities often and this was simply just not a nice area.

Take a taxi to Cherry Creek or Cherry Creek North both are fabulous shopping areas.

1 Thank PATravelGirl_9
stevenJanicek, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
I appreciate you sharing these details from your experience here at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver. I am pleased you found our hotel to be nice and discovered our courtesy car driver, front door and bell staff all to be very courteous. I would like to personally apologize about the fitness club’s pool rules as it relates to children as well as for the lack of follow up from our concierge regarding babysitting. While our downtown location offers easy access to some the of the best sights and activities in Denver I can also understand how some areas were less desirable to spend time in. If your travels bring you back here, I’d appreciate the opportunity to personally arrange another stay and ensure it is wonderful for you and your family.
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We drove up and the valet staff and bellmen were quite friendly and helpful. After that, it didn't go as well. We have stayed at 14 or 15 RC properties in the US and I am disappointed to say that the Denver property has a few issues. Attention to detail was lacking in everything from room service to housekeeping to the suite itself. Little things like no jam for the toast, no syrup for the pancakes, a missing place setting... they are not the norm at the Ritz Carlton. Our suite had a view of the adjacent roof from one window.. the other window was blocked by permanent wood panel painted over to match the wall - not a lovely sight and certainly not the view you expect from a Ritz Carlton suite. When I asked the front desk about a better view I was told that the hotel was "booked" - no other suite was available. Since the lobby was empty and the place seemed very quiet at mid-week, I went on-line, punched in our days and sure enough... every room category was available including suites. I was quite disappointed that I had been lied to by the front desk. If I could book another suite on-line, why couldn't I book one inside the hotel? The suite itself needs a rehab... broken glass in the make-up mirror in the bathroom.... carpet seams split... could use a paint job ...All in all this is the worst Ritz Carlton we have ever visited. Next time in Denver, it's the Four Seasons or the Brown Palace for us.

3 Thank katieG212
stevenJanicek, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
I truly appreciate you sharing your feedback regarding your stay at here at The Ritz-Carlton. Denver. I would like to extend a sincere apology for the issues you experienced while staying with us. I can certainly see how you’d be disappointed; it is obvious that we fell short in numerous ways while you were visiting. Please know I will address the suite availability issues with my front desk team to ensure that doesn’t happen in the future as well as the lack of detail with housekeeping and in-room dining service. I will also be addressing our engineering team as to their inspection process with wear and tear in our rooms and suites. As General Manager, I take this feedback very seriously and apply it towards learning and improvement opportunities with the staff. If an opportunity occurs where your travels bring you back to Denver, I would like to have you stay as my guest, please contact me personally to make sure all arrangements. I hope we get the chance to connect in person.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 14 July 2014

On a getaway with husband and as expected greeted with a smile and by name at the check in desk. Stayed on 8th floor with a view of Coors Field. It is so quiet you feel like your the only ones there, the rooms are very large with espresso machines and water bottles. I recommend the package that gives restaurant credit at Elways because the food was exceptional and the service carries over into Elways (I have to write a completely separate review to cover this but we ordered porterhouse and scallops and were stuffed). Following our dinner, we walked the two blocks to the 16th Street Mall with restaurants, shops, movies, Lucky strike lanes, and music. When we returned to our room, there was a very large piece of chocolate cake, two drinks we had ordered at the restaurant, a rose and a note from our server Ashley. What an amazing touch, don't know if it was Elway's or RC but who cares, it only added to a special first night. I have to note that the adjacent gym is better than mine back home, everything you could possibly need and a lot of machines. The saltwater pool is a nice touch as well. Armando at the front door was a cheerful and helpful guy who gave us a lot of ideas and was there to answer our questions. I had my doubts since I had only stayed at the RC Half Moon Bay but even without a beach, this hotel knows how to keep you coming back. I should add that there were families there as well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
stevenJanicek, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share these details from your wonderful experience at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver. I’m extremely pleased to know our ladies and gentlemen were able to provide an exceptional escape in the Mile High City for you and your husband. I agree we have an ideal downtown location with so many things to do within walking distance and am glad you were able to explore our backyard. The ELWAY’S Escape package proved to be a winner – both in regards to food and service and I will be sure to share the wonderful comments with my team. It’s our mission to surprise and delight our guests on every occasion. I do hope you’ll visit us again when your travels bring you to Denver.
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 3 July 2014

this hotel had a spa zen feel to it from check in to check out. we were on the club floor and Mr. Schaefer oversees all your wishes and remembers your name from night to night. they have a complimentary hotel Mercedes to take you within a 3 mile radius.
would stay here again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank truefoodie_9
stevenJanicek, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Denver, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding a Club floor staff as well as our courtesy car services, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope your travels bring you back to Denver again soon.