“quaint but average spot of tea....perhaps look elsewhere”

The House of Commons
Ranked #314 of 3,002 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Highland
Chicago, Illinois
“quaint but average spot of tea....perhaps look elsewhere”
Reviewed 14 January 2013

While the place seemed charming from the outside, the inside did not not live up to the hype. The paint peeled in several places. We reserved a table in advance, and was promptly seated upon our arrival. They placed reserved with Scrabble pieces. I found that to be a rather novel idea. The tea served was 'average'. You have the opportunity to smell your chosen tea prior to their service. For some reason, the tea tasted remarkably like the bagged teas you could purchase at the local grocers. The water was tepid, and it took several reminders for the staff to bring hot water for our table that was...well, hot. By the time I received my tea and hot water, I had almost finished my meal. Also, the china and silverware weren't clean. Maybe my standard for cleanliness was too high. I understand that tea stains can often be witnessed in white cups and plates; however, it was more than that. Upon downing my cup of Jasmine pearl, I tasted a 'fish' and dish soap after taste. Alas, the tea failed to mask it. The first set of cucumber sandwiches was served on dry bread; the second set was considerably better, edible, and possibly delicious. The afternoon tea comes with a small biscuit and scone (when I say small, I do mean the size of a half dollar). The presentation of the afternoon tea was spectacularly English--paper doilies in the middle of each place. Although, they lacked crumpets. Desserts placed at top tier tasted lovely. They allotted generous clotted cream, jam, etc. You have more than a dollop. Also, parking could possibly a hassle especially if the front of the tea house was jammed with cars (street parking) and if you failed to bring quarters with you. While it was nothing spectacular for a tea house, it was acceptable enough. It's a rustic, and local niche to meet for brunch or lunch with your girlfriends. It is definitely a stark contrast to the chains of restaurants in the food service industry. The food is light, and refreshing to the palate. They did give us a ten percent discount for the delayed tea service. Our server realized her mistake, and owned up to it. Perhaps I just came to the place at a bad time? The place was possibly understaffed. I'm not certain but one of the servers wore a distracting black miniskirt and tights. (Even chav's won't allow it, especially for a spot of tea.) Tea lovers and connoisseurs take note, it was unfortunately and palpably nothing special...at least, that's what I've gathered from this experience.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank missleena

Denver, Colorado
“Wonderful tea and scones”
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Best tea and scones I've had outside England. They have good salads and sandwiches too. The atmosphere was very relaxing and the staff very nice.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank travels234
Beverly Hills, Florida
“Great English Teahouse in Denver”
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Very nice English teahouse in the downtown area. Excellent selection of teas and cakes to enjoy inside or outside. run by people who have lived in England and know how it's done.. Took another couple from England with us and they really enjoyed a taste of home.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank BOBAPPLEBY
Denver, CO
“Great tea shop! Lovely brunch and afternoon tea!”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I just love this little place. Great little lunches here and reasonably priced. Very friendly service. I always like stopping in for something with out of town ladies who like to have an honest to goodness tea time!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank snorkelingsearchers
Denver, CO
“Enjoyable Sunday Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a early afternoon tea at the House of Commons. The wait staff was very friendly and the selection of teas was almost overwhelming. The tower of tasty bites was very good. The atmosphere is informal with many people stopping for carry out orders. If you are looking for romantic, this isn't the place. If you are looking for an informal, affordable afternoon tea experience near downtown with great teas and yummy food, they got it. I agree with others that the address is misleading in that the storefront is actually on Platte, not 15th.

• Visited September 2012