“Reasonably Priced and Clean with Great Location”

Best Western Ptarmigan Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Dillon
Mesquite, Nevada
“Reasonably Priced and Clean with Great Location”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

It is hard to beat a place where you can look out over the reservoir from your room and see the ski slopes of Keystone and Breckenridge. While it is nothing fancy and a bit old, it is well maintained, very clean and breakfast is included in the reasonable price. We asked for and got a second floor room in Bldg 1 so we would have a view. The rooms are spacious and clean. The shower in the bathroom was nice and the hot water was plentiful. Their sinks have lots of countertop space so no problems finding a place to lay out the toiletries. The Marina Park is right across the street as is the amphitheater. We were able to walk to three decent restaurants - all within a block and a half. You can easily access the bike/walking trail that goes around the reservoir and down to Silverthorne. The breakfast offerings were pretty good and included sausage, scrambled eggs, breakfast pastries, a waffle station, fresh fruit, coffee and juice, various breads, and yogurt. We've stayed here twice and well definitely visit on our next trip here.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room in Bldg 1 (note: no elevator so you have to hoof your luggage up the ste...
1 Thank NV_Travelers_77
06098, Front Office Manager at Best Western Ptarmigan Lodge, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed the location of our hotel. Your business is greatly appreciated and we look forward to your future stays with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Showed up unannounced due to last second glitch in original plans. Really wanted to stay elsewhere but ran out of options. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. The front desk was very accommodating. We had a room overlooking the gorgeous lake. The room was outdated but very clean. I'm used to fancier places but would go back again from past experience. If only they had beds larger than a double. Oh we'll.... For the price we paid we had a lake front / mountain view. that's hard to beat!

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, RI, United States
Reviewed 22 May 2014

In the fancy ski resorts of Colorado there aren't too many choices of reasonably priced pet friendly hotels. That's why we picked the BW Ptarmigan Lodge in Dillon. The setting is lovely, right on the lake, with lots of walking space for your dog (in the summer). We paid a bit more for a room with a fridge, which we needed. It was a bit on the small side, but adequate for two and an 18 lb. dog. Mt. nights can be cold, but the room was overheated & took a long time to adjust. If you're travelling in the summer, there is NO A/C.

1 Thank Margo V
ELLIJAY
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This was our second stay at the hotel overlooking Lake Dillon. We always have a great experience and enjoy the close location to Key Stone and Breckinridge. Very comfortable and the breakfast was excellant!

San Deigo, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We were heading to Vail, but had to stop for the night because of the snow and Ice. We like Best Western because they allow pets, so we found the closes one in Dillon Lake. I was surprise of the beautiful view, the helpful staff, awesome food next door at the Pub, and a great breakfast. It was a cold night and I was a little skeptical of the floor heaters, but it work out great. Great Location. We are now Best Western Members. They never let us down.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I've stayed at many Best Westerns all over the world. I love how many are owned by family's or individuals and are branded a Best Western because of their great service. Unfortunately, this Best Western is not a good representation of the brand.

I booked my stay over Priceline, it was much cheaper than through the site. I arrived in the afternoon for a 3 night stay. At check in I was asked if 2 double beds was okay, I said "If they had 1 king available that would be great but if not 2 double beds is fine" she said she had a king room available, and she would change it. She said "okay" and then as she finished checking me in she said "never-mind I can't give you a king and 2 queens will be $20 extra a night" I declined. I said if there was a room with a view I would appreciate that instead. She then said she only has 1 room available and said they are fully booked. Hmmm...quite a change from what she previously said.

We got to our room in building 4, when I opened the door the smell hit me. I can't even describe it, but it was awful. I went to the door leading the the porch to air out the room, only to find out it didn't open. Not that it would matter, I opened the curtains to find out it was like being in a dungeon. No light coming in, a view onto a brick wall, and no porch.

The beds were hard, and the pillows hard and lumpy. The double beds were bolted down to to floor, so i couldn't push them together. My fiance and I had to sleep in separate beds! This was supposed to be a relaxing weekend for us and we couldn't even share a bed.

The carpet was dark, and filthy, I didn't even want to walk around barefoot. The only nice thing about the room was the bathroom.

Breakfast was advertised as a full hot breakfast. The eggs were soggy, sausage so dry it wasn't edible, bread stale. I didn't even eat our 3rd day, I couldn't stomach it. My fiance only had yogurt, as everything else was unappetizing.

The hot tub was a plastic, it smelled like urine and the water wasn't clear. The hot tub was supposed to be open 10AM-9:30PM, so no morning after workout soak, very disappointing AND the clock is 30 minutes fast in the hot tub area so we were kicked out 30 minutes early, despite our phones showing it was actually 9:02PM, but it didn't matter. It was icing on the cake to a crappy weekend in this dump.

This in a supposed 3 star hotel. I would have expected this from a 1 or 2 star hotel. 3 star hotels are Hiltons, Double Tree, Holiday Inn sometimes, and Hyatt, NOT Best Western and NOT this hotel. Even if it was rated at a proper 2 or 1 star level the rooms should have been cleaner, and no one should have to stay in a smelly dungeon.

All these other reviewers were lucky and slightly jaded to have a nice room with a view, but the way I was treated I will never go back there nor recommend it. Having a room with a view does not change the state the hotel is in and my rating would remain the same.

Room Tip: Do not take a room in building 4.
3 Thank Bumann84
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to bring these things to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced at our hotel. We hope you consider a stay with us again in the future.
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have used this hotel number of times and have never been disappointed. The rooms are exceptionally large with comfortable beds. Many rooms have a balcony complete with table and chairs- some with a scenic view of Lake Dillon and the mountains beyond, The facility is in a very quiet location well off any busy roads, yet convenient to the small town of Dillon and a variety of good restaurants. The folks at the front desk are cordial and helpful. The breakfast is more than adequate.

Room Tip: A room facing the lake and the mountains is a plus.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dillon
Comfort Suites Dillon
#4 of 13 in Silverthorne
Silver Inn
Silver Inn
#2 of 13 in Silverthorne

Been to Best Western Ptarmigan Lodge? Share your experiences!