“Amazing trip.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dolores
New York City, New York
“Amazing trip.”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed in the Major Ross as part of our honeymoon and loved nearly every minute of our stay. Our cabin was great, with a good location to the saloon and the hot springs, which was very helpful during snowy days. We peeked into some of the other empty cabins and they are all awesome in their own way. Each one has it's own personality, so you can't really go wrong with any of them.

The food is out of the world. Every meal was delicious without exception. When we got home from our trip, the resort was featured in Bon Appitit magazine as a food destination. We had no idea it was going to be that good. They are also very open to suggestions and to tailoring food to people's tastes. We had a few vegetarians or other restrictions and the chefs happily adjusted meals or plates accordingly. The wine was lovely, and while we didnt tap into the reserve list, we were impressed at how small the mark ups were on the items. They had some very very good wines on that list for prices pretty close to what you would find at the liquor store.

The hot springs were very beautiful and peaceful. The main bath house is lovely, and we were lucky enough to spend some time in there alone. It can get hot in there (naturally) so pace yourself and listen to your body. I got dizzy a couple of times, but just popping outside for a few minutes fixed that right up.

The library was great. I spent some time in there with a fire, a book, some whisky that is tucked away in the corner, and pure happiness.

We had plans to go into Durango or Telluride but never left. We spent 4 nights there was it was wonderful. I would HIGHLY recommend this place to any of my friends. It's a bit pricey, but certainly worth it.

My few suggestions would be to upgrade the beer list. They have some beers from Durango that are just OK. The porter was great, but the rest left something to be desired. Also, the place has an unofficial open door policy with no locked doors, and I think safes should be installed in every room to give guests peace of mind and to avoid any potential "situations."

Small complaints though. Great venue.

Room Tip: The Honeymoon Suite is near the creek, so you will hear running water. That's good or bad depend...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelJoeJoe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I am not sure where to start... I went to Dunton this winter with my husband for 5 nights, and it was one of the best trips of my life...already booking my return trip in the fall. I have traveled extensively, but have never found the level of service from all the staff there as well as level of food, decor style etc. Everyone, starting from the General Manager Edoardo and his wife Christina, to the chefs Carrie, Daniel and Shane, and everyone else, Eric, Chad, Jay and Sheri answering the phone were truly special and made us feel special. (I am sorry if I forgot anyone, and I cant remember the housekeepers and maintenance peoples names...but they always greeted us and were so sweet).

It is very rare to have such a connection with the people who work there...but there was and I cherish that.

Now to the details:
We stayed in the Dolores Cabin, which is by the river and it was stunning and perfect for us. It has a queen bed but we are kinda short...so that worked. We were lucky enough to see some other cabins, and they were all so different, but all so great. Sheri is very good at advising which is best based on your needs if you are not sure which to pick.

The food was really good...it wasn't pretentious, just really good tasting simple food...which is a breath of fresh air. I just read on a magazine, i think it was Bon Appetit that they cane #4 on best food for hotels in the US (congrats to them) ...i think that food is so important, and Dunton obviously feels so too.

We had some massages, which were great, and then spent lots of time relaxing in the library reading (something I am too busy to do normally) and also soaking in the hot springs. Please note, if you have a darker bathing suit, that will work better because the iron in the water may stain a light colored one...not that it's the end of the world, but just so you are aware. Sheri was very kind to let me know when I booked.

This place is heaven...peaceful heaven, and i thank the owners of Dunton Hot Springs, whoever they are for renovating this old town to what it is today!

We cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: all are great...check their website it has lots of pictures and they can advise as well
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Good Luck to Chef Carrie in her upcoming role as "Iron Chef Dunton", or whatever it actually is, in New York City! Thanks also to Chefs Shane and Daniel for the usual good food, and to Chad and Eric for the usual excellent service. We were surprised by snow in April, but compensated by enjoying the warmth of the bathhouse (daily) and one of the us even tried The Source (hot! hot!). Library still needs toilet (and better wi-fi; it was excellent in our cabin). Dunton was even more charming the second time around, but for you other lowlanders like us, be aware that even tying your shoes takes too much effort at 8800 feet. (Bring Ambien for sleeping.)

Room Tip: Make sure your cabin has the under-floor heating - not all do!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
CA
Reviewed 14 March 2013

What an incredible vacation! My husband and I went for our 20th anniversary and stayed in the Honeymoon Cabin (hint go to Luxury Link and get a 3 night stay for half the price of their website price), and it is exactly the way you see it in the pictures. There was a ton of snow (snowed while we were there too) and the surroundings were gorgeous! We went snowmobiling, snow shoeing, hiking, and on a tour of the vineyards that were about 45 minutes from the hot springs. The food was incredible (the chef even made us a special dinner for our anniversary to make it even more special) and the staff was amazing! Since we were there in the middle of the week during January there was only one other couple at the ghost town one night, and the next day and a half we were the only guests so we had the whole town to ourselves. The hot springs were great and relaxing, and so fun to be surrounded by snow while in the warm water. I've noticed in reviews of Dunton Hot Springs that people complain about the price, but you know it is expensive when reserving your cabin. If you want a vacation that is "5 Star" this is the vacation for you!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank catlong
Colorado
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Poor customer service for what you’re paying. The management did not seem to care and only interested in the wealthy guests. The facilities were clean and nice, great atmosphere in lodge, the chef was wonderful….

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank bmwColorado
teddierossBVI, General Manager at Dunton Hot Springs, responded to this review, 23 February 2013
Dear BMWColorado,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Dunton Hot Springs, and I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the food while you were here. I was genuinely surprised to hear your comments about me. Although I do not know the specific details, I sincerely apologize I made you feel this way. I can assure you this was never my intention. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further over the phone, so I can better understand exactly what transpired. It is my hope that following our phone conversation, I can welcome you back to Dunton Hot Springs, and can personally guarantee an enjoyable experience.

I am traveling right now, but will be available on the phone on Tuesday Feb 26. You can reach me on my direct line at 970.882.3773 or by email at erossi@duntonhotsprings.com. I would call you myself, but unfortunately not knowing the specifics I am unaware of your identity.

Once again, my sincerest apologies

Edoardo Rossi
Telluride
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Our overall experience was excellent until we left a pair of sunglasses in the bath house. They were nowhere to be found and when we approached the staff and manager to look for them they were not helpful. After spending that much for one night we would expect better customer service and cannot imagine a guest would take them. We could have been good returning customers but this makes us not want to come back. I called to speak to the manager and they would not even take a message for me. The hotsprings were amazing and our cabin was so cozy and cute.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank K G
Dear K G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit, but I must admit I was genuinely surprised by your comments. When you and I discussed the lost glasses the morning of your departure, I personally searched both the Bathhouse and Housekeeping. Unfortunately, as I explained to you at check-out, I was unable to find the glasses, but did ask the staff to continue searching. I had to leave for an out of town trip the following day, and called the resort from the airport to see if the sunglasses had been found. I was given the message that you had called, and immediately followed up with an email to you (this email was sent prior to your tripadvisor review). In summary, I emailed apologizing once again about the fact that you lost your sunglasses and that we were unable to find them. Based on this review, I can only assume you did not receive that email. Obviously, this type of review is not the norm.

Again, we are sincerely sorry you mis-placed your sunglasses. We will continue looking, and will contact you immediately if anything is found. Given the quantity of snow on the ground during your stay, there is a possibility we could find them when the paths start to thaw out. Stranger things have happened...we recently found a valuable piece of jewelry a guest had lost 4 months prior.

We are sorry to learn that this incident prevents you from being a return guest, as we would happy to welcome you back for more than one night so you could experience all the resort has to offer.

Edoardo Rossi
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 January 2013

“I went to Dunton with a group of fun, sporty friends and my boyfriend – we mixed up our time between hikes, fly-fishing, horseback riding and plenty of reading and chilling out in the property’s hot springs. Think: wild west with a BIG difference: Built on the site of an old mining town, this charming resort combines the rugged outdoors with beautifully decorated log cabins dotted around the central lodge. Romantic enough to suit a honeymoon couple cozying up in one of the rustic cabins, but also well situated for an active hiking trip in the national parks, then relaxing in the hot springs of the spa — or even with kids or a large family party: not many places can suit all groups!”

Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Consigliera-S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dolores
Circle K Guest Ranch
#1 of 7 in Mountain Village
Madeline Hotel and Residences
Madeline Hotel and Residences
#2 of 7 in Mountain Village

Been to Dunton Hot Springs? Share your experiences!