We stayed in the Major Ross as part of our honeymoon and loved nearly every minute of our stay. Our cabin was great, with a good location to the saloon and the hot springs, which was very helpful during snowy days. We peeked into some of the other empty cabins and they are all awesome in their own way. Each one has it's own personality, so you can't really go wrong with any of them.
The food is out of the world. Every meal was delicious without exception. When we got home from our trip, the resort was featured in Bon Appitit magazine as a food destination. We had no idea it was going to be that good. They are also very open to suggestions and to tailoring food to people's tastes. We had a few vegetarians or other restrictions and the chefs happily adjusted meals or plates accordingly. The wine was lovely, and while we didnt tap into the reserve list, we were impressed at how small the mark ups were on the items. They had some very very good wines on that list for prices pretty close to what you would find at the liquor store.
The hot springs were very beautiful and peaceful. The main bath house is lovely, and we were lucky enough to spend some time in there alone. It can get hot in there (naturally) so pace yourself and listen to your body. I got dizzy a couple of times, but just popping outside for a few minutes fixed that right up.
The library was great. I spent some time in there with a fire, a book, some whisky that is tucked away in the corner, and pure happiness.
We had plans to go into Durango or Telluride but never left. We spent 4 nights there was it was wonderful. I would HIGHLY recommend this place to any of my friends. It's a bit pricey, but certainly worth it.
My few suggestions would be to upgrade the beer list. They have some beers from Durango that are just OK. The porter was great, but the rest left something to be desired. Also, the place has an unofficial open door policy with no locked doors, and I think safes should be installed in every room to give guests peace of mind and to avoid any potential "situations."
Small complaints though. Great venue.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Offering luxurious and private cabin rentals in Southwest Colorado. Our cabins are in the San Juan Mountains. We offer an all-inclusive vacation. Enjoy our full service spa, fine dining, lodging, and activities. Book the entire town for your corporate retreat or wedding. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and MrandMrsSmith so you can book your Dunton Hot Springs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dunton Hot Springs Dolores
- Dunton Hot Springs Hotel Dolores