Dunton Hot Springs
  • Restaurant
US$90
US$199
US$174
Retro Inn at Mesa Verde(Cortez)(Great Value!)
US$131
Aneth Lodge(Cortez)
US$69
US$153
BestWestern.com
All reviewsghost townbath househorseback ridingother guestsfly fishingbutch cassidythe family style diningcommunal mealsriver camprustic luxurymajor rossluxury resorthigh end resortour honeymoonyoga roomspa treatmentscocktail hour
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Coming fresh off our fabulous stay at Dunton, I can tell you that all the positive reviews are genuine. It's not just the soulful, unique setting and colorful history that sets Dunton apart, it's the impeccable service that will forever spoil you. The staff is flawless in their ability to make you feel special without being cloying. Eric, Armita, Chad, Justin, Ann (massage), Sheri, Eduardo and everyone there will have you smiling and enjoying yourself entirely. The rooms are elegantly decorated, the beds and linens are sumptuous, the food is outstanding, and the grounds are interesting and unique. Sure, there are lots of excursions you can take advantage of, but I would encourage you to park your car and resist the temptation to over plan your time there. Soak up every last moment you can at the Bath House, sit and read a book at the library, walk the grounds, listen to the roar of the waterfall, enjoy good conversation around the campfire, gaze up at the mountains, sit at the same bar visited by Butch Cassidy, get a massage, and allow yourself to slow down and be transported. This is a very special place, one that is going to be hard to replicate anywhere else. And, the bad news is that I have a feeling that every place we stay now will fall short of our wonderful experience at Dunton Hot Springs.

Room Tip: Vertical Log offers great mountain views, a truly unique brass bathtub in the bathroom and wonderfully relaxing sounds of the waterfall to lull you to sleep at night.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MimiN_10
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed in the Major Ross as part of our honeymoon and loved nearly every minute of our stay. Our cabin was great, with a good location to the saloon and the hot springs, which was very helpful during snowy days. We peeked into some of the other empty cabins and they are all awesome in their own way. Each one has it's own personality, so you can't really go wrong with any of them.

The food is out of the world. Every meal was delicious without exception. When we got home from our trip, the resort was featured in Bon Appitit magazine as a food destination. We had no idea it was going to be that good. They are also very open to suggestions and to tailoring food to people's tastes. We had a few vegetarians or other restrictions and the chefs happily adjusted meals or plates accordingly. The wine was lovely, and while we didnt tap into the reserve list, we were impressed at how small the mark ups were on the items. They had some very very good wines on that list for prices pretty close to what you would find at the liquor store.

The hot springs were very beautiful and peaceful. The main bath house is lovely, and we were lucky enough to spend some time in there alone. It can get hot in there (naturally) so pace yourself and listen to your body. I got dizzy a couple of times, but just popping outside for a few minutes fixed that right up.

The library was great. I spent some time in there with a fire, a book, some whisky that is tucked away in the corner, and pure happiness.

We had plans to go into Durango or Telluride but never left. We spent 4 nights there was it was wonderful. I would HIGHLY recommend this place to any of my friends. It's a bit pricey, but certainly worth it.

My few suggestions would be to upgrade the beer list. They have some beers from Durango that are just OK. The porter was great, but the rest left something to be desired. Also, the place has an unofficial open door policy with no locked doors, and I think safes should be installed in every room to give guests peace of mind and to avoid any potential "situations."

Small complaints though. Great venue.

Room Tip: The Honeymoon Suite is near the creek, so you will hear running water. That's good or bad depending on your preference. Major Ross is large and very close to the saloon and the hot springs. Echo has an outdoor shower, which can be problematic in the colder days.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelJoeJoe
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I am not sure where to start... I went to Dunton this winter with my husband for 5 nights, and it was one of the best trips of my life...already booking my return trip in the fall. I have traveled extensively, but have never found the level of service from all the staff there as well as level of food, decor style etc. Everyone, starting from the General Manager Edoardo and his wife Christina, to the chefs Carrie, Daniel and Shane, and everyone else, Eric, Chad, Jay and Sheri answering the phone were truly special and made us feel special. (I am sorry if I forgot anyone, and I cant remember the housekeepers and maintenance peoples names...but they always greeted us and were so sweet).

It is very rare to have such a connection with the people who work there...but there was and I cherish that.

Now to the details:
We stayed in the Dolores Cabin, which is by the river and it was stunning and perfect for us. It has a queen bed but we are kinda short...so that worked. We were lucky enough to see some other cabins, and they were all so different, but all so great. Sheri is very good at advising which is best based on your needs if you are not sure which to pick.

The food was really good...it wasn't pretentious, just really good tasting simple food...which is a breath of fresh air. I just read on a magazine, i think it was Bon Appetit that they cane #4 on best food for hotels in the US (congrats to them) ...i think that food is so important, and Dunton obviously feels so too.

We had some massages, which were great, and then spent lots of time relaxing in the library reading (something I am too busy to do normally) and also soaking in the hot springs. Please note, if you have a darker bathing suit, that will work better because the iron in the water may stain a light colored one...not that it's the end of the world, but just so you are aware. Sheri was very kind to let me know when I booked.

This place is heaven...peaceful heaven, and i thank the owners of Dunton Hot Springs, whoever they are for renovating this old town to what it is today!

We cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: all are great...check their website it has lots of pictures and they can advise as well
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Good Luck to Chef Carrie in her upcoming role as "Iron Chef Dunton", or whatever it actually is, in New York City! Thanks also to Chefs Shane and Daniel for the usual good food, and to Chad and Eric for the usual excellent service. We were surprised by snow in April, but compensated by enjoying the warmth of the bathhouse (daily) and one of the us even tried The Source (hot! hot!). Library still needs toilet (and better wi-fi; it was excellent in our cabin). Dunton was even more charming the second time around, but for you other lowlanders like us, be aware that even tying your shoes takes too much effort at 8800 feet. (Bring Ambien for sleeping.)

Room Tip: Make sure your cabin has the under-floor heating - not all do!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2013

What an incredible vacation! My husband and I went for our 20th anniversary and stayed in the Honeymoon Cabin (hint go to Luxury Link and get a 3 night stay for half the price of their website price), and it is exactly the way you see it in the pictures. There was a ton of snow (snowed while we were there too) and the surroundings were gorgeous! We went snowmobiling, snow shoeing, hiking, and on a tour of the vineyards that were about 45 minutes from the hot springs. The food was incredible (the chef even made us a special dinner for our anniversary to make it even more special) and the staff was amazing! Since we were there in the middle of the week during January there was only one other couple at the ghost town one night, and the next day and a half we were the only guests so we had the whole town to ourselves. The hot springs were great and relaxing, and so fun to be surrounded by snow while in the warm water. I've noticed in reviews of Dunton Hot Springs that people complain about the price, but you know it is expensive when reserving your cabin. If you want a vacation that is "5 Star" this is the vacation for you!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple