“Thought it would be better”
Review of Karla's kitchen and bakery - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Karla's kitchen and bakery
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Was less than thrilled with the food, and the coffee was not to my liking a bit on the bitter side so lots of cream and sugar. They burned my toast and still gave it to me, first strike, bacon way over cooked, second strike and over all just not what was expected especially when a friend recommended them. Cannot give a thumbs up, but it does beat the Ponderosa for breakfast.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

Coming to Karla's is like visiting friends-friends that can cook! Their food is delicious and satisfying. There are breads, jams and baked goods to take home or give as gifts. The staff always greets me with a smile. I love this place.

Reviewed 31 October 2012

This is a wonderful stop for breakfast or lunch. They take your order at the counter, you help yourself to beverages, your meal is delivered to your table and you pay at the end. Very economical, good food. Cozy atmoshere. Staff is very friendly. Homemade cinnamon rolls and the best coffee in town!

Reviewed 13 October 2012

Because of the two reviews below we stopped here for lunch after visiting the Anasazi Heritage Center. So glad we did! Hubby spotted the 'sweets' as we walked in the door and picked out two huge cinnamon rolls and 4 cookies to take home. We each had a different cup of soup with grilled cheese - YUM! On the way out we picked up two loaves of bread!

They are located at east end of town on the south side. If it wasn't for review we would not have gone that far looking for food. Open until 3 seven days a week. Friendly staff, casual atmosphere, self serve drinks but they bring food to table. While eating we watched one of them roll out pastry for apple pie. Good thing we left before they were baked. We will eat here again.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

My wife and I stopped for a late breakfast by chance. We stopped again on purpose when we passed through Dolores again three days later. HUGE portions, absolutely delicious home cooking.

Incidentally, they serve a breakfast dish consisting of hash browns topped with biscuits topped with gravy topped with eggs topped with cheese. The 4 sizes listed were, if I remember correctly, the Mountain, the Hill, the Speed Bump, and the Pot Hole. I got the next-to-smallest with a side order of pancakes. Barely finished it. Left waddling. Should've gotten the the Speed Bump! The coffee was great too, and I'm picky about coffee. Really picky.

Also, the people were very friendly. That, to me, is what creates the atmosphere of a place. All the fine fixtures and furniture in the world can't make up for unpleasant servers and other staff.

If you are looking for fancy decor, find someplace foo foo. If you want outstanding home-style cooking that is no way health food, this is it. If it were local to where I live, I would eat there regularly and grow large.

If this place were local, I would eat there regularly and grow to be a bigger person than I am.

1  Thank OldGuyLJMO